Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Is slack normal in the drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Is slack normal in the drivetrain?

I think the slack in my driveshaft accounts for the clunking noise I hear when easy shifting between 1 and 2 and sometimes 2 and 3. I don't hear it when shifting at higher rpms. Is this something that all manuals have or is something allready starting to wear on my car? I don't remember hereing this when new and it seems to be getting louder.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:53 PM
CTGT2005
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is slack normal in the drivetrain?

I get a clunk noise also... mostly when the clutch is released too quickly. It sounds like a clunk noise in the rear end. Its always been there as far as I can remember. I was under there just last week and did a check on the universals and they were tight as new.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. I think maybe my LCA's made it more noticeable. If you feather the clunk more then you load the drivetrain more slowly which would take up any slack less quickly thereby eliminating any clunk noise.

ORIGINAL: CTGT2005

I get a clunk noise also... mostly when the clutch is released too quickly. It sounds like a clunk noise in the rear end. Its always been there as far as I can remember. I was under there just last week and did a check on the universals and they were tight as new.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:22 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I think the slack in my driveshaft accounts for the clunking noise I hear when easy shifting between 1 and 2 and sometimes 2 and 3. I don't hear it when shifting at higher rpms. Is this something that all manuals have or is something allready starting to wear on my car? I don't remember hereing this when new and it seems to be getting louder.

I hear the clunk in my drivetrain at different times, never at higher rpms My car has less than 1000 miles on it and no mods. I'm going with the 1 piece driveshaft eventually and hopefully that gets rid of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The OEM driveshaft has three joints in it. The two CV joints towards the rear do have some play...and then there's the backlash in the ring & pinion that every car has. So yes, some driveline play is normal in these cars from the factory.

The aluminum driveshaft will greatly reduce the play.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:41 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Aluminum driveshaft it is then, but i'll give it another year and see if anyone brings one to market around $300.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

The OEM driveshaft has three joints in it. The two CV joints towards the rear do have some play...and then there's the backlash in the ring & pinion that every car has. So yes, some driveline play is normal in these cars from the factory.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:21 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Aluminum driveshaft it is then, but i'll give it another year and see if anyone brings one to market around $300.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

+1, Also I hear that clunk noise for example if I am at 20mph and in 4th gear if I depress the accel and then press it lightly back i hear it loud.

Att. Andrew
Old 11-03-2006, 12:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

+1, Also I hear that clunk noise for example if I am at 20mph and in 4th gear if I depress the accel and then press it lightly back i hear it loud.

Att. Andrew
I have an easy fix for that, don't drive at 20mph in 4th gear. I didn't even now that was possible.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

much easier to do 1/2 then 4 for most city driving.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

For city driving I stay in the lowest gear possible, that way I can get the hell out of the way as quickly as possible if need be.

ORIGINAL: androdz

much easier to do 1/2 then 4 for most city driving.

Quick Reply: Is slack normal in the drivetrain?