Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Just installed Prothane bullet motor mounts today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:01 AM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Just installed Prothane bullet motor mounts today!

I first bought the CHE K-member brace with torque limiters. I then bought the Prothane motor mounts. Both of these I bought to cure the 3rd gear shifter bind I had read about but had never experienced, my car has 500 miles on it. I figured sooner or later it'd catch up with me and I couldn't stand the thought of grinding the gears. I bought both even though I planned on only using one. After looking it over I decided that the motor mounts would be a lot easier than I thought to install. There's plenty of room to get at the bolts. I figured if the motor mounts caused vibrations, I would put the hydro mounts back in and use the torque limiter brace. So today I installed the motor mounts, it took about 1.5 hrs with a friend. I didn't pull the neg battery cable as the instructions said to do, but would highly recommend pulling it. The starter cable is VERY close to where you are working. I was surprised at how very little torque there was on the bolts that held the motor mount brackets to the engine. Everything went smooth, these motor mounts look like a piece of art. They weigh 5 lbs less. The stock hyro mounts are very squishy, my best description would be a breast implant! I had read that it feels different when you start the engine and it does, not bad just more solid. I revved the engine in neutral previously with stock mounts as a test and had no movement/rise of the fender/body. After installation there is some sllight movement. I was happy, these mounts are not too stiff! The Profane tech told me that they were on the low range of durometer/stiffness reading. I don't want any added vibration and I don't sense any. After reading a post here, I purchased the mounts from Summit for $102.39. They were part #PTP-6-505-BL, for some reason the red ones are $160, even though they are exactly the same except for color according to Prothane. Someone posted this previously, but I called them and got the same answer. Thanks to whoever that was that posted prevously, because I am thrilled with these mounts.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just installed Prothane bullet motor mounts today!

yeah that was my post...
I did some research (on everyone's behalf) and found there's NO difference between the two mounts...only difference was about $60...and a red vs. a black bushing...

I too installed the Prothane mounts and the CHE kmember brace w/ limiters...they're great...feels better in the car, and handles better...good inexpensive suspension/stability/shifting mod.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:22 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr

yeah that was my post...
I did some research (on everyone's behalf) and found there's NO difference between the two mounts...only difference was about $60...and a red vs. a black bushing...

I too installed the Prothane mounts and the CHE kmember brace w/ limiters...they're great...feels better in the car, and handles better...good inexpensive suspension/stability/shifting mod.

I owe you one man. I still have no vibrations or problems. The only thing I notice is when you hit that starter you feel the motor torque over where as before nothing. I still haven't missed a gear but still only have about 800 miles on it. I still haven't done anything with the kmember brace w/limiters, I don't feel the need to put them on. Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:02 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

The motormounts definitely help with the shifting problems. And there's less movement in the motormounts than there is in kmember brace and torque braces. The torque braces have too much bushing play (much softer bushings even after you torque it down) and all those adjustments as well. I believe the motormounts would do a better job of correcting the shift problems by themselves. HOWEVER, I definitely notice a difference in handling with the K-member brace. Understeer feels a little better (though not completely eliminated) and turning in feels a little sharper too.

So in conjunction, I'm pleased with both.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Why didn't you install both???
Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 AM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

good info guys, thanks! I had thought about these but couldn't make up my mind. just did
Old 11-16-2006, 10:04 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyman

I'm going to assume you're talking to me. I believe I only need the motormounts to cure the shifter problem, not both. Either could be used, it sounds like the torque limiters would be a bit softer but more complicated as far as parts to loosen up goes. Everyone I've seen post loves the torque limiters. I may install the k-member brace without the torque limiters to see if it helps the understeer as 4wheelkillr has suggested. I looked under the car at the k-member stock though and couldn't see how the brace could help much, but I've read that convertibles have them so they must do something. I think the car handles pretty good now, so not sure what I'll do with them.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07GT

ORIGINAL: ponyman

I'm going to assume you're talking to me. I believe I only need the motormounts to cure the shifter problem, not both. Either could be used, it sounds like the torque limiters would be a bit softer but more complicated as far as parts to loosen up goes. Everyone I've seen post loves the torque limiters. I may install the k-member brace without the torque limiters to see if it helps the understeer as 4wheelkillr has suggested. I looked under the car at the k-member stock though and couldn't see how the brace could help much, but I've read that convertibles have them so they must do something. I think the car handles pretty good now, so not sure what I'll do with them.
Hey 07, I recently installed the K member brace and torque limiters and just like 4wheelkillr said, the steering definitely tightened up a tick for the better. As soon as I got done with the install I took the car on this winding two lane black top, good ole boy, country road by my house that I know like the back of my hand and it definitely steered into the corners better. I had to keep adjusting my line a little bit in the corners since I was used to putting more force on the steering wheel to turn in harder. I kept adjusting outward a tiny bit since the car dived into the corners better. After a few minutes of getting used to it, I was driving those tight turns like I was running shine! Even if you want to send the torque limiters back, you may want to install that K member brace. But if you decide to install the limiters, it is extremely easy.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:52 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

sry for the newb question, but what exactly does a torque limiter do?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:03 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

No problem, the only way to learn is to ask. The torque limiters are bars that attach to the CHE K member brace at the bottom and to the a couple of transmission bellhousing bolts at the top. What the limiters do is limit the amount of twisting that the engine and transmission due because of torque under heavy acceleration. The stiffer motor mounts also limit this same twising motion since the aftermarket mounts are stiffer than stock. Since our shifters in the 05+ stangs connect to the tranny at the front and to the floor board at the rear, when the tranny twists it naturally causes the shifter rail to flex since it's between the tranny and a fixed point (the floor board). This shifter flex can cause you to miss third gear.
Click on this link and then click on the picture to the right for a good look at both the CHE K member brace and the torque limiters bars.
The K member brace is in orange and the torque limiters are silver (aluminum). http://www.cheperformance.com/cartge...pid=208&cid=15
I think it's a great mod and very easy to do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/6DD193E6D3284C3F84D39E2212D32412.jpg[/IMG]