Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 Mustang GT/ Axle back Mufflers/Cabin Drone

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:27 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Default 2006 Mustang GT/ Axle back Mufflers/Cabin Drone

I'm sure many of you have read my many posts regarding my cabin drone situation, and I apologize if I am wearing you all out. I have received lots of responses, advice, tips and I really appreciate all the feedback. For those of you who are unfamiliar with my situation, I will give you my summary and I welcome your comments as well. I have a 2006 Mustang GT convertible 5-speed. The only exhaust mods I have done so far is installing MAC axleback mufflers. Sounds great at idle and wide open throttle. A little louder than I wanted, but sounds deep and throaty. My only complaint with the MACs is the cabin drone at 1800 - 2100 RPMs (at cruising speeds). However, I have heared that all axleback mufflers have some degree of cabin drone (except the Corsa which is not within my budget). I have tried sound deadening material in the trunk (not much better). I am now debating if I should change my gears to 4.10 which would bump up the RPM's to a higher range during cruising speeds keeping me outside the drone? My concern about changing the gears is that it it may void my warranty. Should I install Kooks long tube headers with cat x-pipes, which I have been told would get rid of the drone. My concerns about the longtube headers is that my car has been lowered (Eibach pro kit plus suspension) and I was wondering if there will be any clearance issues with long tube headers? Also, I am not sure I want an x-pipe because I read that x-pipes have a higher pitched raspy sound versus the h-pipe and I have read that the h-pipe sounds better with chambered mufflers (MACs are chambered). Now, I have read about the MAC prochamber pipe which is supposedly an h-pipe with the features and advantages of an x-pipe. But it is unclear if the prochamber is compatible with the Kooks longtube headers. Any feedback would be welcome.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:08 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 Mustang GT/ Axle back Mufflers/Cabin Drone

That's a lot of effort just get rid of drone. However, gears would be a nice performance upgrade. I've thought about doing the same to reduce the drone with my FRPP Stingers, but after a few weeks I've learned to live with it. I really enjoy mine.

Another cheaper option would be to install FRPP GTA mufflers (NOT the Stingers made by Borla's, 5GT). They have no drone, sound deeper than stock and are probably about $230. Just search the board for suppliers.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling your MAC's on the internet.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:36 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Please don't take this to be rude, but I'm getting tired of answering the drone questions.

I have written several LONG, well-organizec posts describing the mechanics of drone and how to fight it. I discussed months ago that sound-deadening material won't help much.

You need RESONATORS, problem will be solved.

Search on the forum for "resonators" or "drone" and you'll find plenty of good information.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 AM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Where can I find more info on the resonators? I have tried googling the item and all I find are "glass packs" that u see on the rice burners. I have not seen any discussion about resonators on the forum. Also, would they restrict airflow or affect torque?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:57 AM
spdbrake
1st Gear Member

I welded 12" Dynomax Racebullits in aft of my Long tubes - but fwd of the H-pipe. (In the 45 angled area) The Race bullits are perforated inside and not louvered like normal glassppacks so flow is not affected, my aft mufflers are Magnapacks (same perforated cores)
And I don't have drone.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:00 AM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

As for the Kooks headers, I also have the pro-kit and live in New York with bumps and pot-holes. No clearance issues at all. If you get the Kooks Headers, I'm pretty sure you also have to get the X-pipe which I have. With the Magnapaks, yes, there is drone, but I really do not mind it.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:09 AM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

LOL you could put cutouts in the exhaust, then when you get drone you either push a button or pull some line or something and the drone is replaced by open headers lol, but that probably doesn't help your sound situation.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmart69x

Where can I find more info on the resonators? I have tried googling the item and all I find are "glass packs" that u see on the rice burners. I have not seen any discussion about resonators on the forum. Also, would they restrict airflow or affect torque?

Search the forum, not the web in general.

At the top of any forum page (such as this one), in the "blue bar" is a link that says search. It's underneath the banner ad at the top of the page. Check that out.

Here are some example threads dug up with the search:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1534962/tm.htm

https://mustangforums.com/m_1493359/tm.htm

https://mustangforums.com/m_2066298/tm.htm

Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmart69x

I'm sure many of you have read my many posts regarding my cabin drone situation, and I apologize if I am wearing you all out. I have received lots of responses, advice, tips and I really appreciate all the feedback. For those of you who are unfamiliar with my situation, I will give you my summary and I welcome your comments as well. I have a 2006 Mustang GT convertible 5-speed. The only exhaust mods I have done so far is installing MAC axleback mufflers. Sounds great at idle and wide open throttle. A little louder than I wanted, but sounds deep and throaty. My only complaint with the MACs is the cabin drone at 1800 - 2100 RPMs (at cruising speeds). However, I have heared that all axleback mufflers have some degree of cabin drone (except the Corsa which is not within my budget). I have tried sound deadening material in the trunk (not much better). I am now debating if I should change my gears to 4.10 which would bump up the RPM's to a higher range during cruising speeds keeping me outside the drone? My concern about changing the gears is that it it may void my warranty. Should I install Kooks long tube headers with cat x-pipes, which I have been told would get rid of the drone. My concerns about the longtube headers is that my car has been lowered (Eibach pro kit plus suspension) and I was wondering if there will be any clearance issues with long tube headers? Also, I am not sure I want an x-pipe because I read that x-pipes have a higher pitched raspy sound versus the h-pipe and I have read that the h-pipe sounds better with chambered mufflers (MACs are chambered). Now, I have read about the MAC prochamber pipe which is supposedly an h-pipe with the features and advantages of an x-pipe. But it is unclear if the prochamber is compatible with the Kooks longtube headers. Any feedback would be welcome.
I find it ironic, and somewhat of a non-sequiter, that you state you cannot afford Corsas but will spend god knows how much money on every other modification possible, conceivable and known to mankind, including resonators, to get rid of drone. By the time you reach the end of your little adventure, you will have spent 3 times the amount that a set of Corsas will cost you!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule

I find it ironic, and somewhat of a non-sequiter, that you state you cannot afford Corsas but will spend god knows how much money on every other modification possible, conceivable and known to mankind, including resonators, to get rid of drone. By the time you reach the end of your little adventure, you will have spent 3 times the amount that a set of Corsas will cost you!
I agree in principle with your statement, but note that Resonators are MUCH cheaper than switching to Corsas. Also keep in mind that if he does get another mod like headers or gears, there are other benefits aside from changing the exhaut sound.

By the way, headers won't eliminate your drone.

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT/ Axle back Mufflers/Cabin Drone