Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Do I need to tune?

Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default Do I need to tune?

I don't want to get the Predator or the SCT X-Calibrator because Ford said straight up that it will void the warranty. Now I know there is ways around that but I still don't want to mess with the OBD-II, and nor do I want to put the money towards that. So here is the question: With a Borla axle-back, and a K&N AirCharger CAI, would a dyno tune be worth it? Horsepower? Fuel economy? etc?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:44 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do I need to tune?

Axle-back has no effect on power or economy. It's purely a "sound" mod. You don't need a tune for that.

You can get intakes that don't require a tune. The Granetelli one is one of the most popular ones. It comes with a special MAF sensor that is calibrated so that you don't need a tune. The benefits aren't quite as good as a real tune, but they are not bad. I'd recommend that.

By the way, Dyno tunes are done in conjuntion with a tuner like the SCT or the Predator. If you don't want to fool with the ECM, then you can't have a dyno tune. Furthermore, Dyno tunes are only worthwhile if you have an unusual combination of mods or something extreme like a supercharger. The major tune shops like Brenspeed and Evoloution tune so many mustangs that their "mail order" tunes are fantastically good. So good, in fact, that a Dnyo tune will only give you an extra 1 or 2 HP (if that), and that is less than the statistical variance between dyno runs.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:52 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Don't worry about the warranty, at worst you can reprogram it to stock in a matter of seconds, secondly I say YES you need a tune if you wanna get rid of your throttle lag and increase your performance overall. I'd go with Brenspeed by the way.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I just had warranty work done and didn't run into any problems with the tune. I changed it back to stock before taking it in (about 15-20min) and there were no questions. I also had work done for the TSB in relation to the clutchpack and it was done as well despite me changing the gears. A good dealership will do the work if the changes/mod's are not the cause of the problem.

The tunes are well worth it as throttle lag goes away and overall performance is much different. For me it was like driving a new car. Good luck!!!