Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

new driveshaft for our stang

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:52 AM
mustanghobby
1st Gear Member

Default new driveshaft for our stang

Hi everyone i just joined. i thought id tell everyone that i found out today that there is a new driveshaft available for the manual cars. the site is pandjspeedsop.com if u go to this site scroll down to "whats new" click on this then scroll down to the picture of the driveshaft. it has some info on it and a phone# u can call with questions. i called and found out that the price is $595 but it is only made for the manuals. the gentleman i talked to stated they are working on one for the autos, and to call back in january to find out if it is completed. i hope this helps anyone.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: new driveshaft for our stang

Is that shaft aluminum? For $600 I'd just assume get the powerhouse shaft since it's been around awhile.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:33 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

You may want to put in an actual link that's correct also. A letter's missing in your link. It should be:

http://www.pandjspeedshop.net/index.htm or http://www.pandjspeedshop.net/WhatsNew.htm
Old 11-25-2006, 04:52 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

This sounds very similar to the one that's out there from the driveshaftshop and appears to be re-branded by others (Summit, Lethal, etc.)...the one from the driveshaftshop has an alumimum plate but the shaft is actually steel - though still half the weight of the stock part (46lbs - which I believe to be the same driveshaft as on my 2001 Ford Ranger).

I read somewhere that the driveshaftshop are planning to come out with an aluminum version at some point.

Other than the Powerhouse I don't know of any other aluminum shafts - BMR has a one-piece carbon fiber shaft that is rated to 1000HP and AFAIK there is nothing for S197 from FRPP.

If anyone has other info please correct me - unless there is something else out there I'll probably go with the Powerhouse.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Email ford racing asking them to make a aluminum shaft. I did, but we need lots of people to contact them.

Sorry but, I'm not paying $600 for a steel shaft. Steel is cheap.

ORIGINAL: PonyGT2005

This sounds very similar to the one that's out there from the driveshaftshop and appears to be re-branded by others (Summit, Lethal, etc.)...the one from the driveshaftshop has an alumimum plate but the shaft is actually steel - though still half the weight of the stock part (46lbs - which I believe to be the same driveshaft as on my 2001 Ford Ranger).

I read somewhere that the driveshaftshop are planning to come out with an aluminum version at some point.

Other than the Powerhouse I don't know of any other aluminum shafts - BMR has a one-piece carbon fiber shaft that is rated to 1000HP and AFAIK there is nothing for S197 from FRPP.

If anyone has other info please correct me - unless there is something else out there I'll probably go with the Powerhouse.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:50 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

The price needs to come down on driveshafts for the 05 to 07 mustang before I consider it. It's just a driveshaft.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:16 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Justin at JPC has an aluminum one and now he has a couple other options too. I know he has a steel one and a molly one. You should look him up or give a call.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07GT

The price needs to come down on driveshafts for the 05 to 07 mustang before I consider it. It's just a driveshaft.

Granted that it would be nice if prices came down, but one thing to keep in mind: A driveshaft for the S197 is not "just a driveshaft". Unlike 95% of rear driveshafts out there, this one needs to have a splined extention section in it. That is where the complexity/expense is coming from. A typical driveshaft doesn't have this. (instead, it has a slip yoke on the tranmission--but that won't work with the fixed output flange of these cars.)
Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

For 600 I would just spend 300 more and get a carbon fiber one.

Att. Andrew
Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: 07GT

Granted that it would be nice if prices came down, but one thing to keep in mind: A driveshaft for the S197 is not "just a driveshaft". Unlike 95% of rear driveshafts out there, this one needs to have a splined extention section in it. That is where the complexity/expense is coming from. A typical driveshaft doesn't have this. (instead, it has a slip yoke on the tranmission--but that won't work with the fixed output flange of these cars.)
I hear what you're saying, poor choice of words I guess, and if they never come down in price, I'll still buy one but I think they could still be sold for less and still have a profit for the seller and maker. I'm willing to wait for a while.

Quick Reply: new driveshaft for our stang