Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Long Tube Headers Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Default Long Tube Headers Install

Got a price quote to install Long Tube Headers:

1. Kooks LTH: $1,400
2. Plus Labor: 570
3. HD Motor Mounts: 230
4. Plus Labor: 190
5. Dyno Tune: 330
6. Shop supplies: 30
7. Hazardous Mat: 10
_______
TOTAL: $ 2,760 (plus tax)

Is this price a good price? Do I need a Dyno Tune? What are HD Motor Mounts and why do I need them?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:21 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tube Headers Install

ORIGINAL: jmart69x

Got a price quote to install Long Tube Headers:

1. Kooks LTH: $1,400
2. Plus Labor: 570
3. HD Motor Mounts: 230
4. Plus Labor: 190
5. Dyno Tune: 330
6. Shop supplies: 30
7. Hazardous Mat: 10
_______
TOTAL: $ 2,760 (plus tax)

Is this price a good price? Do I need a Dyno Tune? What are HD Motor Mounts and why do I need them?
WOW....$570 for Kooks LT install is insane.....the highest quote i got was $500...i only paid $300 for my install....also, bought my Kooks LT with catted x pipe for $1263 shiping and tax here in Fla...
HD motor mounts are a stiffer motor mount which supposed to prevent twisting of the motor during torque. They are not necessary for kooks headers as the kooks fit nicely under the hood and in the car and do not rub against braces and front end as some other headers might.
Dyno tune IS NECESSARY if you want to get the most out of your car, HOWEVER, as I was advised unless you have other mods it may not be necessaryto get a custom dyno tune yet rather a reputable sponsor xct with tunes customized to your car and its mods...plus I assume you are getting the kooks setup with the CATS at that price...about 20% of the mustangs react to having a hi flow cat differently than our stock cats due to the higher air flow etc...so You may want to invest in some sort of tuner for that.. does your dyno tune come with a tuner?? I dont think it would for just $330 as the tuners run ya $350 and up on avg with the selling shops custom tunes installed (usually 3)
Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I have no idea on the pricing as I do all of my mods myself, but one that that jumped out is 190 to install the new motor mounts........... The motor mounts will already be out for the LTs. All he has to do is bolt the new ones back on instead of the stock ones. Even if he doesnt take them out for the LT install he will already be RIGHT there. at 190 the guy is going to be making 400 an hour for that portion of the install.

On Edit: what the hell is a hazard mat and why would he need one to install headers. What shop supplies will he use? everything is in the kit. This might be normal. Like I said I dont take my car to anyone.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:13 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Wow.. that's a bit steep on the header install. Mine was:
$14 - 12 pack of Heinekin
$14 - Domino's Large Pepperoni plus tip
$3 - Pack of Marlboro
---------
$31 total for the install plus a most of a Saturday of my time.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yeah, this is rediculous.

I am an amateur mechanic and I did my first LT install in 6 man-hours. Five hours of my time plus 1 hour of a buddy's time. (He was not mechanically inclined at all, he just helped hold things and passed me tools). At $70 per hour that's $420. Mind you that included doing a complete cat-back install AND swapping motor mounts.

Like Riven already said, the motor mounts have to be unbolted anyway for the headers. Replacing them takes no more time than it would to leave the stock ones in there!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:01 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Find another shop...

Also if the Motor mounts are going to cost that much just buy the BMR K member with the mounts, Its around $430 so take off the $200 for mounts and for just about $200 you get to drop 20lbs off the front, and the stiffer mounts.

Lets just say I paid under $300 to ger my lt's and X pipe installed. And it was done while I waited..

For $1400 I would rather get the ARH headers that are actual full length.. the kooks are mid length..
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 AM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

Please don't buy anything from this shop, they are trying to bend you over. Due a little research, prices for parts are much cheaper on internet and no sales tax unless you are in state. I can't believe they are trying to get you for everything.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

For $1400 I would rather get the ARH headers that are actual full length.. the kooks are mid length..
LOL...I thought we already covered this... (just kidding)

But I do agree on the price...if spending that much I would've probably gone with the ARH. Went with the Kooks because I got a good deal. Can't go wrong with either one. And yeah, as previouly stated, either do it yourself or find someone else to do it.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Go spend your 600 dollars in labor on a tool set and a jack and borrow and engine hoist!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Although a hoist is practical it is not necessary. A simple bottle neck jack will do to raise the motor. Hell, I used the jack in our trunks.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers Install