Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Aftermarket Driveshaft ?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:53 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Aftermarket Driveshaft ?

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

jlpskydive is supposed to be going to do the after install dyno so we can know what the dyno says it gains. my estimates are between 20-30rwhp all across the rpm range. it really does make a hell of a difference. especially if you are n/a.
i did a same day track test before and after. the result was.21 second gain and i didn't even ice it down for that run. if i would have iced the intake and let it cool down more it would have picked up another tenth or so. all the previous runs were done with long cool down times and ice on the intake. when i got done the install the track was almost closed so i only had time for that one run.
check this out:
https://mustangforums.com/m_2470834/tm.htm
Smoke crack much.. If you think you will see a 30rwhp increase from the DS I have a device that when you stick it in your CAI it makes 35hp to sell you..
Also I have talked to my friend that actually owns a dyno and tunes for a living. The cars that he has dynoed with the aluminum DS's has not really seen a gain on the dyno. The dynos do not seem to pickup the increase very well.

Also I'm pretty sure you need to be a supporting vendor here to sell things. I see you coming into all the alumin driveshaft threads to sell your product now..
Old 01-25-2007, 02:28 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

a little testy about something?
i've never bashed any ones products or manufacturing methods.i am going to post on tech threads that i feel i can contribute to. i do not lost links to ebay anymore and i don't have a website or a formal business nor do i want to. and yes i did request the info to be a vendor on a different forum about a month ago and got no response.
all i do is help guys make their own conversions in return i get $50 or so for my gas and time.
it's not my fault ifsome companiescan't design a driveshaft that actually works....on all the cars. tell the vendors that support the freakin site to start making them like i do so i don't have to do it anymore. hell i told everybody how to do it a year ago. they could have done it then and saved thousands of dollars in R&D and give the customers agood oem qualityproduct that has been studied and refined by ford motor company's engineers.they could sell them for the same price since they wouldn't have to pay a driveline shop to modify them. or they could rape everybody and make tons of money.
i really don't give a ****. i'm just trying to help out some of my fellow mustang owners who like me get screwed on every purchase just because themodel is still new.
oh and you may be right about the dyno#'s. i only know what the e.t. clocks say. that much of a gain is roughly 20-30rwhp in a 3700lb car. it may be that it allows the engine to rev much faster giving you the drop in e.t. as if you picked up a bunch of power. whatever removing 30lbs. of rotating weight does, it makes a hell of a difference.
have a nice day
lighten up a little
Old 01-25-2007, 02:39 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

My bad if I was reading your post wrong.. but seeing you say upto 30rwhp and then a link where it was talking about the shaft you sell and link to ebay auctions in it made it look like you were just trying to sell more DS's.

ET and hp on the dyno do not always fall in line with each other.. Just like how an auto can dyno lower then a 5 speed and then beat it on the track. Also you have to factor in that you drop 20+ lbs off the car. From what has been seen on the dyno the gains that one expects do not show on the graph, but can be seen at the track.
I was actually going to do one myself, as a friend has a ranger shaft at his shop and is going to do the same when he gets a chance. But I'm going to need something that can handle 700+ rwhp in the next 8-10 months so I wanted something stronger. Now why ford has not released their own aluminum shaft for the S197 is beyond me. They have them for all other years, seems like and easy way to make some good money for them
Old 01-25-2007, 11:53 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

no harm i'm pretty laid back about that stuff i know it's hard to gauge someones attitude from reading text. i can say F.U. in 10 different tones of voice and you won't get p.o.'d but there is only one way to write it. i learned my lesson about this last year. sarcasm and posts don't mix sometimes.[sm=smiley18.gif]
when i talked to a ford (FRPP)rep he told me they had no plans to build one since the s197 especially the GT's had a vibration/NVH problem they couldn't resolve. i've been wondering how well a V6 shaft would hold up? it a one piece and much lighter than the 2 piece. i don't imagine it would hold 700+hp though. i also wonder why is it that the V6 which has the same 5R55S trans doesn't suffer from the problem? makes me believe that it really is something in the differential of the 31spline (in particular)8.8 rears. all the vehicles that use the combo of 8.8 rear and 5r55s trans had vibration problems, explorers, rangers ands197 GT's but the few vehicles that use use only one of thosecomponents don't seem to suffer from it likeV6 mustangs(trans) and F150's(rear).
you are 100% correct about the dyno stuff. my car only dyno'd at 281rwhp but 322ft.lbs. of torque. thats why i try not to be lead on by dyno #'s and ask for track data on stuff like that.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 AM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

Why do you need to change the stock shaft?
Does it not hold up under HP???
Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

not really. it's a 45lb. two-link terd. i've seen two twisted up like pretzels on manual trans n/a cars(with slicks and a good clutch of course). replacing it with a lightweight version(-30lbs. of rotating weight)will gain an n/a GT about .20 seconds 1/4 mile and really increase your throttle response and allow the engine to rev quicker when in gear.
+
they are stronger.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

I have carbon fiber dyno before was 394 rwhp dyno month later with shaft and dyno 399 rwhp. point to note the factory drive shaft is rated for 450 hp andI am only 502 hp. ButI have 4:10 gears and have a new cams and spring going in i couple weeks as well as new 3000 stall t/c so the hp will be in thew 532 hp and the last thing i want is the shaft to break. I you are doing this for hp gain waste on money spend on lighter wheel where theover all diameter make a real gain
Old 01-28-2007, 09:35 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

me havem light wheels already so me needs findemmore power from someplace else.
(sorry that was my 1/132 cherokee coming out there)[sm=alcoholic.gif]

the wheels only made a tenth of a second difference whereas the driveshaft was 2tenths and 1/3 the price. when you run out of places to find free hp you start getting creative....like removing the passenger seat and pouring nitro(the real stuff)in the tank for a little extra "pop&crackle"[sm=smiley34.gif]
Old 01-30-2007, 09:30 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724
and pouring nitro(the real stuff)in the tank for a little extra "pop&crackle"[sm=smiley34.gif]
So how do you tune for nitro methane? That stuff is VOLOTILE. What sort of cylinder temps do you run? I race pocket bikes and have a 50cc two stroke unlimited thatI run a 30% nitro blend in, took a bunch of timing and jetwork to get that little motor dialed in (and if you have never done 80 on a foot high motorcycle it is a RUSH). I can't imagine how you are tuning a S197 to run on a blend. But I have to admit...I am curious. And oh yea, i have an aluminum one piece drive shaft and it rocks (just so this is contributing to the thread)
Old 01-31-2007, 01:32 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the Syder Drive Shaft!!!Just got mine in tonight!Made a post on it for you guys to read!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Driveshaft ?