Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual vs. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
vic971

Default Manual vs. Automatic

AdilemmaI face when it comes time for me to buy a s197 is what type of transmission. Im pretty good with a stick shift, but havent had a lot of practice. I imaginethe automatic would not be as quick, but I'm not sure what I want. Tell me your thoughts.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 AM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Manual vs. Automatic

I had the same issue. I flew out to detroit to pick up my 06 GT with a friend (who has a 90 GT and persuaded me to go with the 5-speed). The reason for bringing my friend was twofold: First, I was not too keen on the 9 hour drive solo, and Second, it had been a long time since I had driven a stick. (I learned on an 87 Jeep Wrangler). I must admit, the idea of getting behind the wheel of a Mustang GT 5-speed with 300 hp intimidated the hell out of me. However, this is one of the smoothest stick/clutch setups I have ever experienced! No popped clutches or missed gears. Even my buddy was amazed. We took turns the whole way home and I have to say that it was one of the best experiences ever! I definitely recommend the 5-speed.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Manual.

If you're at all comfortable with a manual transmission and have enjoyed it in another car, I think you'll regret buying an automatic. The Mustangs seem to be a little touchy (stiff clutch, somewhat high RPMs for a clean launch) but after you're used to them a little, there's no question the manual is the way to go.

Why let an automatic tell you when you should shift and how you should control those 300+ horses?

Definitely, definitely go with a manual (besides, the auto transmission is like an extra $2000 or something isn't it?)

Manual tranmission = More money for mods, and WAY, WAY more fun (I really can't even describe it properly. Just go manual!)
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Manual hands down.

You may turn more consistent 1/4 mile times w/ an auto but amanual is more FUN and fun is what its all about.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Johnmichael
1st Gear Member

Personal preference prevails. However, stock for stock, the autos are running faster in the 1/4.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Get the manual. Autos are very boring. Manual is soooooooo much more fun. you never get bored with it. leave the autos to soccer moms in mini vans.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

i'm for manuals only cause you control when you want to up or down shift. Auto tranny adds more weight to the car. Autos have more HP drivetrain loss. If you car dies and you can't start it, with a manual have some one push you and pop the clutch to start it(had a starter die in my 95GT manual) Takes talent at the track to work a manual to have minimal wheel spin, nice 60' times, and 1/4 times.

The auto's do shift alot better than they use to. No playing with the clutch in traffic. Put it in D and just drive it and relax.

Manual
Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Johnmichael

Personal preference prevails. However, stock for stock, the autos are running faster in the 1/4.
Thats the funniest thing I heard all day My car stock went 13.40's at 102/103 and my buddys auto runs 13.80's to 13.90's at 101. Both bone stock my manual vrs his auto, both coupes and 2005 models, same options.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:30 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

To me, buying a sports car, or sporty car without a manual transmission is like hiring a prostitute that doesn't have the necessary equipment between her legs. What's the point?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:57 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I would make my decision based on what you want to do with the car.

If you want to drag race a lot, I would buy the Auto. The autos have a lot of advantages on the strip: They shift faster than any person can and they shift reliably with no need to worry about a missed shift. They are also extremely consistent. For these reasons all serious drag racers run autos. Keep in mind that with a tuner all the shifting paramaters can be adjusted the way you want them.

If you want to road race, autoX, or just have fun all around, Manual all the way! When I first bought my car I was very rusty on driving a manual. My drive home from the dealership was pretty funny! But you'll get it down quick and start having some serious fun. I love the manual and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Automatic