Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05 GT Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:19 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Default 05 GT Manual Trans

Hello guys, the thing is that I'm having problems changing gears.The are very hard to change and sometimes the shifterdoesn't even insert in the gear.Also my driveshaft is to loud you can hear in every gear change. What is happening to the transmission? please help me.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:30 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 05 GT Manual Trans

The drive shaft could have it's own problems if your real hard on that car.
Drive shaft noise can be worn parts like the universal joints are shot or you twisted or bent it a little bit.
The noise and sticky shifting, inability to get it into gear or to shift into a new gear could be the throw out bearing.
That's the bearing that rides up against the clutch pressure plate's fingers as it rotates on the pto shaft of the transmission. The throwout bearing is shaped like a T only it's really fat and spins at a right angle to and rides up and down onthe trans' pto shaft as the clutch pedalis pushedin or letout.

Every time you push in the clutch, the bearing not only pushes in the fingers of the pressure plate thereby disengaging it from the engine 'friction disk floats during this period', it rotates on the fingers as it spins. If the bearing is sticking, it will not allow complete disengagement of the clutch from the tranny's pto shaft thereby causing your shifting etc. problems.

Time for a new clutch, pressure plateand throw out bearing most likely.
One other symptom is sometimes the clutch peddle becomes very hard to press in. This can also be caused by a bad pressure plate. Just so much gunk built up in there that it's all sticky and worn out.
I've seen otherwise perfectly good tranny's and flywheels ruined by lack of proper maintanance.
Hope this isn't the case for your sake.

One other thing it could be come to think of it but very rare is the clutch cable has frayed or the lube goop in it is all gone and it's rusted up inside.Or if it's a hydrolic actuated clutch, then it's either a leak or bad main clutch cylinder or a bad slavecylinder or both.

If the throw out bearing isnot the problem, then it can also be that the sincro's in the tranny have gone bad. Perhaps you have really worn that tranny out. Also if it leaked it's lubricant out sufficiently enough to starve the tranny from being lubricated and cooled by the fluid, then it burned up and you will need to have it rebuilt or replaced.

Last thing is the gear shift linkage and bushings are shot.

Most likely the first possiblity above is the cause. That's the first thing you have checked.

Don't ask me how to check it out yourself. It would take a lot to explain.
All I will say is to find out if it's a bad throw out bearing or shot clutch parts all together, you have either pull what's referred to as thedust cover on the bottom of the bell housing, look and feel or you haveto pull the transmission out for visual inspection.

Best advice if you are a rookie or non-mechanically inclined is:
Take it to the dealer or your trusted mechanic/repair shop and have it diagnosed by a competitent technician then get it fixed.

By the way, from the looks of the goodies you have on your ride, you probably have beenrunnin the shiz out of it eh? ;-)
Frequent hot roddin like that will cost you every time unless you keep up with the maintanance.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2007, 12:54 AM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for all your help I really apreciate it. Have a nice day.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:04 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

PR, you have a PM...
Old 02-05-2007, 03:12 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

More than likely your synchronizers are going out. Sounds like its time for some warranty work.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

I've had 2 cars with blown Sync... i doubt thats the problem. If it was.. the car would be Grinding when going into gears.. and you will deffinately hear it. He would have forgotten to push his clutch in for like 500 miles to cause that kinda damage already..
Old 02-08-2007, 05:13 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

My car has exactly the same problem. I know him, we are both in Puerto Rico and our local dealers are just short of being C***. My car has been to warranty 6x for that problem and still hasn't been fixed. The other day I really noticed it it would not go into any gear after a race. But after allowing it to cool down for a hour no problems. I changed the fluid on the tranny around 3 months ago to RP synchromax. Also when I try to change gears at high rpm I really have to push it in for it to enter but under 3k revs it has no problems at all. At first I thought it was the satellite shifter so I bought the K-member with the Torque Limiters to fix it but that didn't solve squat. Any ideas what it could be? I really have no idea what it is because it works perfect just under no pressure -.-. Also I forgot to add, does the stock shifter have a good ammount of play when it is in gear? My shifter seems to have way 2 much play while in gear.

Andrew
Old 02-08-2007, 04:50 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

any ideas?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:31 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

-.-
Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 AM