Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

possible upgrades, any forseeable problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:59 PM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

Default possible upgrades, any forseeable problems?

I'm running pretty much stock now (except for what's in the sig). I want to stay N/A for the time being and this is what I was looking at doing in the near future:

SLP catted x-pipe (what are the appreciable differences with the offroad pipe? other than the obvious lack of cats)
UDP
C&L CAI + tune
1-piece driveshaft (probably Denny's)

I have a few questions about this. I am pretty new at this but I'm pretty handy with tools and do my own basic maintenance now. Will the driveshaft be something that is relatively basic (the BMR one says it requires professional install)? Will I be able to run with the aftermarket x-pipe with just the C&L tune until I find time to get another done (I have a Diablosport Predator, not the SCT) without too much trouble?

And perhaps one for the handling forum: I plan on loweing the car in the future, along with ph bar, adjustable lca's or uca, etc. Will the 1-piece driveshaft require more exacting adjustment than the stock one with the adj LCA's?

If anyone else is running something similar I'd love to see approximately what type of gains I could see at the rear wheels.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: possible upgrades, any forseeable problems?

I am getting the denny's driveshaft also, ordered it yesterday. I am hoping it is bolt on as they state. I do know you will have to check pinion angle.

I have a C&L with predator also. I did purchase tunes from Doug @ B amachips. I am very pleased with the result.

Dont have UDPs

The X-Pipe from my knowledge adds some HP but it is not as low as a H-pipe. The x-pipe will have a raspier sound to it and the off road w/o cats will be louder. I got the pypes h-pipe from Brenspeed. It is sitting in the living room waiting for some warm weather for install right now. It miught be too loud since you already have the Loudmouths. I have heard that some people don't like the offf road h-pipe and the Loudmouths.

The adj LCA will take car of the pinion angle along with adj panhard, the UCA does not need to be adj if the LCA is and the UCA is more of a pain in the butt from what CrazyAl has stated.

Hope this helps and I am sure others will respond too!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: possible upgrades, any forseeable problems?

All those parts you describe will go on easily.

The Denny's driveshaft (and the Powerhouse) are direct bolt-ons. The BMR requires a professional install becasue they require you to change your pinion flange to install it. That isn't the case with the Dennys or BMR. They supply an adapter so you don't need to change the pinion flange.

There is nothing "more exacting" about your pinion angle after installing the 1-pc shaft, though you should check the angle, and the method of checking is different between the 1-pc and the 2-pc.

This thread describes the pinion angle stuff in more detail. I wrote one post regarding the OEM 2-pc shaft and then another for aftermarket 1-pc.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2570375/tm.htm#2571016