Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

BATTERY DIES EVEN IF REPLACED

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:46 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default BATTERY DIES EVEN IF REPLACED

WHY DO THESE BATTERIES ALWAYS GO DEAD AFTER A COUPLE OF WEEKS?? NOT SETTING SECURITY, LEAVING RADIO OFF ECT. SOMEONE SAID COULD BE RELATED TO THIS WATER LEAK THING?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: BATTERY DIES EVEN IF REPLACED

There could also be a draw, i didsay that i sawone car where there was a water leak in the sjbthat was causing battery to die, but there where other problem with the vehical such as lighting problems. so with that said i dont want anyone to think this water problem could be why there battery is dying, theres jus so many things that could casue that problem. best bet bring it to dealer they will diag.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:22 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Yes, water by itself much less the water leaks some Mustang owners suffer can not be the cause of a battery going dead in short order.

You MUST put an amp meter across the positive terminal and battery connector and find out how many Amps are being drawn from the battery while the ignition switch is turned off / key out.
In a normal situation, the battery should only have some milliamps being drawn from it when the above conditions are in effect. IF there are say 500 or more milliamps (half an amp or more) being drawn from the battery while sitting idle, you have an electrical issue that must be traced down and corrected.
Given ideal conditions i.e. clean battery with no dirt, corrosive material etc. running across the top of the battery from terminal to termainal which is a common battery killer, this is the test you need to perform.

If the battery has a cover across the top of it, usually plastic, and it's dirty on the side between the terminals, this can cause the batter to self discharge across it's own terminals and die in short order.
Any dirt or corrosion across the top of the battery can cause this.

I presume you have been installing a new battery each time hence the first paragraph is what you want to pay attention to carrying out as your main diagnosis.

Short of the batteries you are buying and installing being part of a bad batch, it's not a mistery. There are no gremlins sucking the life out of the battery. Keep it simple. Relax and know that you can solve this problem easily with patience and common sense.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2007, 03:29 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

HAS BEEN CHECKED OUT AT FORD, THEY SAY NO DRAW, BUT THEY DID SAY THAT THE ECM WILL KILL Battery 14 DAYS AS SOME SORT OF SECURITY FEATURE
Old 02-10-2007, 04:26 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

THAT IS JUST PLAIN FALSE! THEY ARE PULLING YOUR LEG!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

My '06 sits at least 14 days at a time while I'm at work. last month it sat for 21 as I worked over a week. Unless this is something new (and stupid) on the '07, they're full of it. I never trust the dealership completely as I've seen some of the idiots they have working at some. Best thing, check it yourself. Pull one battery cable and put an ammeter in series with it and see what it reads with everything off. You are either getting a lot of bad batteries or something is pulling it down. If you have a factory alarm system, I'd bet on it first. I went to a dealership that almost every '07 had a dead battery and a factory alarm. Unless they come up with an alarm that electrocutes the thief, it ain't worth the extra hassle.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hey dirtydeed. Yep, that could very well be it. I mean if his stang got through quality controlbefore it left the assembly plant, chances are it left in perfect condition. Ford is pretty good about QC although sometimes lemmons do get through but suffice to say the are a gross minority over all.
I do recal test driving some stangs on the dealers lotbut two of them had dead batteries. Obviously hadn't been run in a couple of weeks and their battery's were flat dead. All 07's have security systems I believe so chances are his does too.
I haven't let my stang sit for even 2 days without taking it out for a spin so I can't say for sure but I'll lay odds your suspicion is spot on!
However, I presume your battery isn't dying after sitting for 14 days or longer?
So the security system may have a bug or there is something else terribly wrong with his elec. system or like you and I have already stated, he's got himself stuck in the middle of a bad batch of batteries. Could also be the AmpHourrating of his battery is way too low.
I recall reading something about Ford upgrading the battery specs. not long after they released the first batch. I purchased mine in Sept. Production date of Sept. '06 She was only about 6 days old when I picked her up ;-).
So the best thing for him would be to as we both suggested, do an amerage test while everything is off and see what itmeasures. I would think that half an amp would be enough to kill a battery in 14 days but I could be wrong.I would also think there's no more than asay 20 to 50milliamps drawon the battery when all else is shut off. I could check but I don't want to hassle with an MCU reset and a code P01000 just now.
Let's see what happens and if necessary I'll do a draw test with one of my DVM's to find out exactly what the minimum draw on the batt. is, do some calcuations regardingbattery chargelife and report my findings.
Wolfey2k
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

i talked to my servicemanger today on this issue of the battery goin dead 2 to 3 weeks after sitting, he's telling me that there cars have a paristic (dont no if thats spelled right) draw meaning after a few weeks of sitting it will kill the battery . im not really sold on that answer id relly like to find out more because it seems like alot of people have this issue
Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

That makes me glad I got an '06 instead of an '07. Mine has to sit at least 14 days. That's why I'm on these boards at work, having withdrawls. I can't even go in just to see my baby.[X(] If it is a "normal" parasitic loss due to the alarm or something else, I'd get one of the solar battery chargers with the auto cut off to leave in the window when it's parked. Make sure it has an auto cut off to keep from overcharging the battery.

I'm curious now what the current draw is and if I remember I'll check mine when I get in, around 2/22 to 3/1. I've got my Fluke in the trunk so I could check it before I even start it after sitting 14-21 days, provided I remember.

On all '07 having a security system, I wonder why the dealership I looked at in Irving (Westway Ford) was charging an extra $599 for an alarm? Then again, they were adding $599 just for window tint too. I got mine tinted for $209 with a lifetime warranty at a local shop.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:51 AM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

I just woke mine up after 2 weeks of very cold weather. Started right up. I always lock it with the fob so the security is on also. I do turn off the shaker though before shutting down.

Quick Reply: BATTERY DIES EVEN IF REPLACED