Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Is it possible to lose power ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Is it possible to lose power ?

Just buy a zex system and run a 150 shot like me. That will leave them behind by the bus lenghts you are looking for . Also remember an auto responds 200% better than a manual to a tune because you can control the shift firmness. Also from a roll the 4.10 are pretty much useless because you die out so quick at 6k rpm you are at 114.74 mph. 410's are for the dig, if you race from a roll go back to 3.55's.

Andrew
Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

I am in love with my 4.10s I changed it twice.

I tried re-tuning my car nothing happend its just the same diffrence. Anyway I took it to the dealer today for a transmition check and changing the fuel pump ( gives me false reading everytime ).

Is it possible for a tune to get stronger ? Because my friend with the JLT just smokes me everytime now. he has a brenspeed tune 91octane. and I have a evolution perf tune 95 octane. (I am using 93 octane though) Cuz I made a mistake while ordering.

Good thing is I just got in line form a traffic light with a lumina ss 6.0. Check out the new holden commodore its exactly the same. ( close to the pontiac G8) its rated as a 362 HP.. and I swear that I gave him a 2 bus lengths, even more.. I was so happy het in the same time confused. cuz sometimes my car is fast and sometimes not. Especially if its driven for more than 1 hour it becomes weaker.. the hotter it goes the weaker it gets..

A friend told me that highway driving an American V8 alot will give your motor a better power. I felt its bull****. But he goes to large trips and his car is really fast.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:03 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

As for the distance giving your car more hp it doesn't but T-boning a police car does lol. do you have intake or something? If you are looking for bolt on Power then go for Long Tubes $800, CCMV 85$, CAI$ 300, UDP $200, headers 20-25rwhp, ccmv 7-9rwhp, CAI 12-18rwhp, UDP around 9 or so.

Andrew
Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Thetune itselfdoes not get stronger(or weaker for that matter).
It's actually theparameters(timing, a/f ratio, etc.)which parallel your driving patterns over a period of time, and are then stored in the ECM's long term memory, that determine the amount of power that the engine develops duringdifferent driving conditions. Drive conservatively, and the ECM stores conservative parameters that will result in the engine delivering less power than if you drive aggressively. Eitherreflashing the tune, or disconnecting the battery cable for 10 minuteswipes these parameters from the ECM's memory, thus allowing you to restart from square 1.

Also, it's a known fact that heat greatly reduces the power outputfrom the S197 engine, whether it's high ambient temperature, or a hot engine. So if your engine is hot and your friend's engine is cold before a race, then he has an advantage.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

and I have a evolution perf tune 95 octane. (I am using 93 octane though) Cuz I made a mistake while ordering.
well that can't be very good, can it?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:42 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Arwing

and I have a evolution perf tune 95 octane. (I am using 93 octane though) Cuz I made a mistake while ordering.
No cause tunes are built for octanes for a reason! Timing has a huge impact with the octane. Your timing is probably no correct.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:41 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: Arwing

No cause tunes are built for octanes for a reason! Timing has a huge impact with the octane. Your timing is probably no correct.
So I gota call from my dealer saying my car is fine howeverhe said that they found out that I tuned my motor.. lol I am sure I got the stock tune back on, but I didnt take it with me the tunner is on the back seat.

Who cares this guy is cool he said ur warranty wont be void I talked to them. I am going to order a new tune from brenspeed. They gave me a great deal on a tune. for a try out.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 PM
lvkopike

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you put 2+ bus lengths on a Lumina SS, he wasn't racing.....