Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

holy smoke batman!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:03 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

Default holy smoke batman!!!!

I have a 05 GT automatic and had the 4.10s installed today. I was on the way home jamming the stereo and was at al light. Light turns green and I wondering why i was not moving. Then i realized I WAS SPINNING THE TIRES!!!!

All I have added is the gears and the SCT tuner with a simple tune. The cold air is coming in next week and the cmcv plates. When they get here I will install and have a custom map done. I can only imagine what it will be like then.

I am a happy as a high school girl going to her first prom!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:13 AM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: holy smoke batman!!!!

Thats some good stuff!!!! Don't forget to add some money to the tire fund!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

LOL

Did that with the 3:55s on slightly wet pavement a while back...just sittin' there spinnin' and wondering why I wasn't moving forward
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 AM
07GTgo
1st Gear Member

i do that every time the pavement is a lil wet on the way to school...there is a hill i have to go up to get out of my neighborhood...its SO FUN...only when wet, cuz ill burn 'em up when its dry...look at my sig
Old 02-25-2007, 02:03 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

and that ladys and gentlemen, is the real reason why your gas milage goes down with 4.10s
Old 02-25-2007, 01:20 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

and that ladys and gentlemen, is the real reason why your gas milage goes down with 4.10s
no lie there!!! I just gassed up and I did a WHOLE 9MPG!!!! I guess I better learn some new driving habits
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

Another question. Is it normal after getting the gears installed for it to feel like the parking brake is slightly on? I am thinking the gears are real tight and in need of being broken in/
Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotairgypsy

Another question. Is it normal after getting the gears installed for it to feel like the parking brake is slightly on? I am thinking the gears are real tight and in need of being broken in/
Hi. The answer to your question is, absolutely not! If what you say is true, then there is a serious problem brewing. I'd take it back to whereever you got it installed and have it checked out and corrected immediately! Doing otherwise could end up ruining the gears and or bearings! God I hope they put enough gear oil in the diff' and they used the correct friction reducer! Not good if they didn't. Not good at all.
Then again, your e-brake could be sticking. Just shouldn't be sticking since it's fairly new. But you need to have it checked out asap regardless because the symptom you are experiencing is completely abnormal. I hope it is just a sticky e-brake.
Good luck!

Edit,
P.S. while digging mytruck out of the snow it occurred to methat perhaps you are feeling not only the newly improvedtorque to the rear wheels but you are also feeling the increased transfer of resistance theengine makes at closed throttle while cruising. Lower gear ratio'sdo indeed increase ones seat of the pants sensitivity so to speak so you might be alright.
One test you can perform is to drive the car ona level or slightly downgrade hill, put it in neutral and see if you still feel the drag you areexperiencing. If not, all is well provided you don't hear any rear endgear whine. If you do feel it then take it back asap and have it looked at.
Especially if youeven suspect that you hearrear end gear whine.
If the pinion angle is off, even a few miles can kill thegears!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:58 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

I need to find a downhill to try out your theory...it does make sense
Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Well, you don't have to wait until you find a downhill, try it on a level road too. That will actually tell you more easily than a downhill ride.
I wouldsuspect you can tell the car is slowing down faster than it was before? So a test drive as discribed above will tell you a lot.

If however it feels like the brakes are slightly on during acceleration, maybe they are but if you do, you need to take it back and get it looked at asap.

I would try not to put too many miles on it until you get the problem addressed and corrected.

Quick Reply: holy smoke batman!!!!