Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Differences between a Brenspeed and a B-Chips tune? Livewire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default Differences between a Brenspeed and a B-Chips tune? Livewire?

Sorry, not trying to start a big thing on who's better. I was just wondering if anybody who's experienced bothknows the differences between the two, as in shifting for Autos, overall feel, etc...

I was originally going to go with Ba ma because I had used Doug's tunes in my v6 and his shift points aresupposedly the best when it comes to A/Ts, but since I haven't heard back from him in over a week, I've been thinking about trying out Brenspeed.

One more question...is the new Livewire worth it? I was going to go with the Xcal2, but I read something about some GTs having problems and stalling (probably has been fixed)...plus the Livewire looks like it might be fun if I could use it for HP measurements and 1/4 ETs lol.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:51 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Differences between a Brenspeed and a B-Chips tune? Livewire?

I have not done a head-to-head comparison between Brenspeed and Bama, but both have good reputations so I don't see how you can go wrong with either.

As for the tuner itself, all of them are just a tool to load the tune file into your car's computer. The Livewire won't make any more power than an SCT-2. In fact, the tunes themsevles are identical. The difference is just that the Livewire has some flashy features on it...but tune-wise it is no different than the plain SCT-2. (Also keep in mind that all those "HP estimators" can be found on the internet for free)
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

As for the tuner itself, all of them are just a tool to load the tune file into your car's computer. The Livewire won't make any more power than an SCT-2. In fact, the tunes themsevles are identical. The difference is just that the Livewire has some flashy features on it...but tune-wise it is no different than the plain SCT-2. (Also keep in mind that all those "HP estimators" can be found on the internet for free)
I saw that the Livewire can make the same power as the Xcal, but I though it might have the ability down the road to adjust more things than the XCal2 could. I didn't realize that the HP estimators could be found on the internet for free...I guess I would have to run some sort of Datalog with the XCal2 and then use something from the net to interpret it? I read that you could do more with the Livewire without having to hook it up to the computer also.

*edit* I just remembered the other reason I was thinking about getting the livewire - it can hold up to 6 tunes. If I went with Doug, I'd get his 87 Performance, 93 Torque, 93 Performance and 93 Race tunes...the Livewire should be able to hold all 4. I know I could just switch them on and off the computer though...
Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The Livewire cannot adjust anything that the X-cal 2 can't. They both adjust the same exact things.

The Livewire has a real-time display feature...but this is basically useless unless you just want to look at flashing lights and "gages". If you want fiddle around with advanced tuning features, then you need datalogging so you can actually save the data and analyze it later. The thing is that the Xcal 2 can already do this. You just download some free software from SCT's website and you're good to go.

The only thing the Livewire gives you above and beyond the Xcal 2 is the "flashy display" and the "HP and 1/4 mile estimators". Those are pretty cool I suppose, but they don't make your car faster. In fact, aside from the "woah neat" factor, they are useless....and not very accurate either.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I don't think I'll be going with the Livewire since it can't change anything the XCal2 can't...thanks again!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:04 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Doesn't the livewire have an active Wideband output? I am thinking for getting it just for the wideband option.

Andrew
Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

Doesn't the livewire have an active Wideband output? I am thinking for getting it just for the wideband option.

Andrew
I am not sure, but I doubt it given that the car doesn't have any wideband O2 sensors on it. With no wideband sensor, wherewould that data be coming from? If it does have wideband outputit must be "estimated", which is another way of saying worthless.

Both the livewire and the Xcal 2 will let you log your standard O2 sensor readings though.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:14 PM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

doug has just about mastered throttle response. I've also found that doug's tunes tend to make more tourque but fall off in the higher rpm's. here is my tune from doug on the dyno.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:38 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScreamingYellow

doug has just about mastered throttle response. I've also found that doug's tunes tend to make more tourque but fall off in the higher rpm's. here is my tune from doug on the dyno.
Pretty damn decent powercurves man!