Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Muffler opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:05 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Default Muffler opinions

So I have a mid mounted flowmaster 40 on my 09 and love the sound with my cams. But it drags on just about everything including the monster speed bumps at work. I'm considering going with Borla stingers so I can tuck them up further. I saw a few videos online and they sound good mid mounted with stock cams. My concern is will it sound bad with the Cam thump as I know chambered is best for that but I just don't like the axle back sound. Kinda stuck here. Anyone with some suggestions?
Old 07-16-2016, 10:28 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Yours may be different but after I put in my cams, my chambered Edelbrock axle back I used to have was just plain obnoxious. It sounded good but there was tons of drone and at idle it was like you had a big subwoofer on either side of your head. I picked up the Ford Racing Touring axle back I have on there now, and I think it sounds pretty good with the cams. Less of the obnoxious bassy-ness. I wouldn't count on any mid-mounted stinger type mufflers to do much muffling though, prior to cams I started mine with the axle backs removed and just the Magnaflows under the car and it might as well have had no mufflers at all.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Yours may be different but after I put in my cams, my chambered Edelbrock axle back I used to have was just plain obnoxious. It sounded good but there was tons of drone and at idle it was like you had a big subwoofer on either side of your head. I picked up the Ford Racing Touring axle back I have on there now, and I think it sounds pretty good with the cams. Less of the obnoxious bassy-ness. I wouldn't count on any mid-mounted stinger type mufflers to do much muffling though, prior to cams I started mine with the axle backs removed and just the Magnaflows under the car and it might as well have had no mufflers at all.
Yeah I had my sve axlebacks mid mounted for a bit but they were super cheap so I'm hoping to find something in that sound range that's driveable and sounds good which I'm finding is hard to do on a 3V. I'll look into the Ford racing piece maybe I can find a YouTube clip.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:16 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I will say too, I'm very impressed with the reduction in drone with this FRPP Touring axle back- it was quieter than the Edelbrocks so I switched to an off road H pipe. It sounds awesome outside the car but drone is way less than the Edelbrocks had even with a catted H pipe. Drove it about 70 miles on the highway last night and it was great inside the car. I wish I could get a good sound clip of the car as it sounds now but my digital camera just does not pick up the sound correctly.

BTW, one caveat- I found the FRPP axle back used on Ebay and technically it's for a 2010 (the tips are a little long). I don't know if they even still make this one new. I think it's actually a rebranded Borla axle back, but I got it for $150.

I do wish it was easier to tuck some oval case mufflers up under these cars but there's just no room for it.