Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 gt overheating problems... ? why???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:17 PM
TRIGGER1980

Default 2005 gt overheating problems... ? why???

Ref: 2005 Mustang GT, Supercharged with procharger D1SC running 465 rwhp.. Overheating problem..BIG problem..

Hi all,

First of all i wanna thank you for your answers and advice ur giving me. My ford dealership know fu*k all about this car.. I also know nothing about engines...but im learning..

Maybe someone can help.. i have a 2005 Mustang GT Auto, I have tuned it too 465 rwhp and it goes nice..i hv lots of mods but my main mod if the procharger D1SC, i have nothing but problems with this system and i really, really regret buying this! Anyways i won’t bore u and go into all the problems cos most have be resolved apart from this..:
When driving the car fast, over long distance or 2 short sprints the car will over heat immediately and all the water will drain straight away.. at first i thought this amount of water will come from a pipe somewhere but then i realized this only happens when i drive the car hard.. so today it happened and i quickly stopped and opened the hood and found the water spraying like a fountain out of the radiator cap.. I’m aware these caps are specially designed to release the water after a certain amount of pressure (16 PSI).
My question is how is the water getting this hot in the 1st place.. i live in a hot part of the world (Dubai) but it happens even on a cool evening..After just a few quick bursts..Basically the water is getting way too hot, boiling then being released in full though the radiator cap.. After 20 Secs its empty..

So how is the water getting to this temp in the first place..?

Latest..

I noticed yesterday when me car started over heating again that the fan did come on.. Surely when ur engine is hot the fans come in to cool the engine..i have a question:

How do the fans work, do they come on while driving if ur cars engine reaches a certain temp? Or do they come on when the car has stopped? Obviously i can’t chk while the car is moving but i checked when the car started overheating just now and the fans we not and... my ignition was off but the electrics of the car were on...?

The car has been at ford all day, i told them to chk the wiring for the cooling system - They said no faults.. i told them to change the thermostat, they changed that, they also chked the thermostat sensor and all is good.. they said the computer is showing the fans work fine.. Sometimes they work.. Sometimes they dont. I have just also changed the manifold on the car so that is fine now...they have done compression tests on the head gasket they say is fiine...all computer diagnostics show the engine is fine..oh and we added antifreeze in there 2..

The car only over heats when i push it maybe 3 times in a row or when i drive approx 140 kmph for more than 10mins... the temp will rise then the water will empty out of the radiator cap like a fountain...The car is not losing power in anyway.. its still very quick only when i screw it too much the car will overheat immediately

Does anyone out there have a clue how to fix this problem?? I’m spending allot of money and time on this car now and its becoming a liability..

Please help..

Cheers

Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 gt overheating problems... ? why???

Are you getting any steam out of the exaust?Does it have a sweet smell? Might be a head gasket.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:26 PM
TRIGGER1980

NO STEAM.. NO SMELL NORMAL SMOKE, DEALER SAID HEAD GASKET SEEMS OK..
Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 PM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

Could be a problem with the tune for the Supercharger. If I remember right if it is too lean it can cause an over heat issue.

1. Many cars overheat from more than one problem. Often we assume a bigger radiator or a similar big gun solution will fix our problem. Maybe it will, but often by so doing you are addressing the symptom and not the cause. Many cars over the years pick up little annoyances that contribute to overheating. Individually none of them would overheat your car. Collectively you have an overheating problem. Look at the whole car when addressing overheating problems.
2. Before you do anything else, tune up the car. Many overheating cars are out of tune, Be dead nuts certain you are not running lean or with retarded timing.
A lean fuel mixture will overheat your car right now. If your engine runs lean you can chase your tail looking for problems in the cooling system and never figure it out. Be sure you are not running lean. The easy way to do this is richen your jetting a couple of steps. If the overheating is better, you're on the right track.
3. There is a lot of misinformation about ignition timing and cooling. Retarded timing contributes to overheating. Advanced timing helps cooling. Bump up your initial timing a few degrees and see if it helps the car run cooler. It's an easy and practical fix. Of course, if you advance enough to enter pre-ignition or detonation you will start to overheat. Detonation contributes to overheating. If you start to detonate back off the timing. Overheating cars should always run vacuum advance. Vacuum advance helps cooling.
4. Cars can overheat from coolant circulation that is either too slow or too fast. When your car left the factory it probably had the correct speed for the water pump. Over the years things change, pulleys are swapped, rear end ratios are changed, tire sizes vary. Your car may not have the right circulation speed for the water pump. Remember cars can overheat from circulation that is either too fast or too slow.
5. Look at your airflow. Be sure your shroud fits properly and is sealed to the radiator. What'd ya mean you don't have a fan shroud??!!?? If not, obtain a shroud before you do anything else. You can adapt a shroud from the junkyard or many after market suppliers can provide you one. Seal the shroud to the radiator with weather stripping.
6. The best all around fan is the factory design with a thermal fan clutch. Flex fans aren't as versatile, Solid fans pull lots of air but are noisy and suck horsepower when you don't need the extra cooling.
If you need extra air flow there are many electric fans on the market that can help. Be sure your charging system is up to the task of handling the extras amps from an electric fan.
7. Reduce the antifreeze in your coolant. A 50/50 mixture does not help cooling. Either run 100% distilled water with water pump lubricant or distilled water with about 15-20 % antifreeze. Either mixture will cool better than 50/50 and still lubricate the water pump and provide corrosion protection for your system. Remember when the weather turns cool to switch back to 50/50.
8. Use a better grade of gas. If you are not running premium and you are overheating, step up to the top grade. If there is no improvement, try advancing your timing a few degrees. The extra octane will allow you a little extra timing without getting into detonation. Many older cars and particular muscle cars were designed for better gas than is now available. If you are detonating on today's gas you can be overheating. Remember not all detonation is audible.
9. If you are running an automatic, install a quality after market transmission cooler. Cooling the transmission is added work for an already overtaxed radiator. Do not mount the cooler in front of the radiator where it will overheat the cooling air. Rather mount it to one side.
10. Notice your driving habits. The more gas you burn the more heat the engine produces. Jackrabbit starts followed by hard braking, constant acceleration, flogging the engine uphill, all burn lots of gas. Yes, these are performance cars and that's why we love them. We're not saying don't enjoy your car, but if you are constantly into the accelerator, you are producing extra heat that the cooling system has to get rid of.
All of these tips and many, many more are contained in our informative cooling manual. Our ordering info is below. Compared to the expense of buying parts in a hit and miss fashion to solve your problem, our book is a downright good investment.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
TRIGGER1980

thanks, nice info.. i have sent mmy tune to sct for attention
Old 03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

I doubt the tune has a thing to do with it. That's silly.
I'll bet that your radiator is partially clogged!
IF your water pump is working fine, the t-stat is new and working, the cooling fans are working as specified etc. then you probably have a partially clogged cooling system and usually it's the radiator being semi clogged that causes the problem you are having.
Certainly not enough heat is being pulled from the engine to be bled off to the atmosphere. That's obvious!
So check your radiator, or have it checked by a qualified radiator shop.
There are various steps they will take to help you solve your cooling problem.
Tunes have beans to do with cooling problems. They only help make more heat if anything due to more power being made by the engine, that's it. ;-).

Wolfey2k
Old 03-14-2007, 08:13 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

I doubt the tune has a thing to do with it. That's silly.
I'll bet that your radiator is partially clogged!
IF your water pump is working fine, the t-stat is new and working, the cooling fans are working as specified etc. then you probably have a partially clogged cooling system and usually it's the radiator being semi clogged that causes the problem you are having.
Certainly not enough heat is being pulled from the engine to be bled off to the atmosphere. That's obvious!
So check your radiator, or have it checked by a qualified radiator shop.
There are various steps they will take to help you solve your cooling problem.
Tunes have beans to do with cooling problems. They only help make more heat if anything due to more power being made by the engine, that's it. ;-).

Oh, one other thing that can cause the same problem. The stock radiator is not adequite for the job anymore. Repair is simple. Have a higher capacity radiator installed.

This is pretty much a standard practice when installing a bigger engine or making your engine run like it's a bigger one via supercharging. Makes sense.

Wolfey2k
Old 03-14-2007, 10:06 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

+1

Because of where you're at and because of your FI, I would just go ahead and put a new bigger radiator in there now. Get the fluidyne and be done with it. To be extra cautious you could always wire the fan to be on all the time. The procharger tunes are lean but it has nothing to do with your radiator. At first I thought a simple resevoir leak but then you said it was shooting out the rad cap. I think you have some blockage as well but with your power level and where you're at, I'd just put the bigger rad in there anyway and wire up the fan to run continous.

Your SURE it's not just happening when you go WOT and you're SURE it coming from the radiator cap?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

headgasket, are you running a stock motor or a forged short block?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:59 PM
gloryboy
2nd Gear Member

Not sure if this was mentioned but, the thermosdat might not be opening to let the coolant circulate and you may have air trapt in the system somewhere.You might want to try one of those cooling system flush kits from the autoparts store (allows you to hook a garden hose up to the system). See if water is actually circulating. Stock cooling system should be fine for your setup. A lot of us saleenguys are even underdriving the water pump w/o probs (and i'm in s. florida)....just a few ideas........good luck...

Quick Reply: 2005 gt overheating problems... ? why???