Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Synthetic vs regular oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:48 AM
fastfilly

Default Synthetic vs regular oil

After many years of wanting a Mustang GT, I finally took the plunge and bought a new '07 in grabber orange. I like to say it is a 50th birthday present for myself, but my wife would rather say it's a mid life crisis. I'll probably have a number of questions for the experts over the next few months, especially in the fall when I prepare to winter store it. But for now my question is, what are the opinions on using synthetic oil over a good quality regular oil? I've read a number of articles that haven't really given me any help. Thoughts on this?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Synthetic vs regular oil

Asking people what their favorite oil brand is resembles asking a bunch of people what the best football team is...expect a lot of arguing!

But, it has been well established that Synthetic oils last longer and have better heat-handling properties than conventional motor oils. Pick whatever brand you like, but Snythetic oils are clearly superior in performance and longevity to "dino" oil.

Some people don't like the extra cost of the Snyth, but honestly...you just spent around $30,000 on a new car. Do you really want to skimp on maintenance trying to save a measly$5-10on oil changesevery few months?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

There are a couple threads on this also...so just use synthetic for your search term and read the many discussions. I, like CrazyAl stated, would switch over after a couple thousand miles.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:05 AM
fastfilly

That's the thoughts I've been having as well. For winter storage it is recommeded that oil is changed before the car is stored. When using synthetic, does this hold true as well? My understnading is that regular oil can break down over the winter and cause varnishing?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

go with redline 5w-20 after 1,000 miles, It is the strongest 20weight out there.

Andrew
Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 AM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

mobile 1 full syn here
Old 03-24-2007, 01:49 PM
lindseyquads
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotairgypsy

mobile 1 full syn here
+1 I just changed the oil for the first time lastnight @ 1,000 miles and I went with Mobil full synthetic with K&N oil filter. I have used Royal Purple on cars in the past and loved it but its harder to find and after talking to all the great people on MFI decided to go with Mobil. But it comes down to personal preference
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: hotairgypsy

mobile 1 full syn here
[/blockquote]

+1 I just changed the oil for the first time lastnight @ 1,000 miles and I went with Mobil full synthetic with K&N oil filter. I have used Royal Purple on cars in the past and loved it but its harder to find and after talking to all the great people on MFI decided to go with Mobil. But it comes down to personal preference
+2 Same here been using and abusingMobil 1 for years and never ever had any kind of engine wear problem.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

I've been a Valvoline Oil person since like, forever. Their SynPower synthetic in 5W-30 is something I'm trying out now. So far, so good.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:13 AM
carockwell
1st Gear Member

EXTRA! EXTRA!
READ ALL ABOUT IT!
WWW.BOBISTHEOILGUY.COM

Go to website with 16,000 people disagreeing on the best oil for your car!

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs regular oil