Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Why Not A Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why Not A Cobra?

i guess it is all personal perference, but i would rather buy a stock base gt and then drop the 25 grand i saved and put itinto the car and make it exactly the way i wanted it. Like i said though, its really personal pereference.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:37 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

My family own a Dealership and ford will warranty the S/C but it is a $6G supercharger. But the big deal with the shelby is the name. We have already had two and sold them to perfectly happy middle age gentlemen. The Shelby WILL hold value and will probably increase in value over the years. Imagine if Carroll Shelby dropped dead today, then see what happens to the prices. I think it would be worth it if you could get one at sticker. The overall appeal is higher, it holds value, 5.4 S/C could put out huge numbers with little money after your huge initial investment. They are nice cars. I think some people go a little mod crazy on here, but for the money you could make a GT faster for cheaper, but i would take the shelby gt500
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

You can keep your SN95 Terminators.
The S197 with forced induction looks better, handles better and can be as fast or faster.
The GT500 is just a rip-off with the dealer mark-ups.
1.) opinion
2.) handles better how? new edges have an IRS, not a solid rear, their downfall is they just wont hook up at the drag, for corners and DD a cobra willbe better if anything
3.) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

It handles better because it has better weight distribution than the 99-04 models.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 PM
bobn

i have been lucky enough to get a new stang every decade since the sixties. that makes me an old fart. the current gt is the flat out best stang ever period. i kicked my blown sn95 aside like a dead dog for a 06. cobras were/are a great deal for the wrench challenged owners, but no matter how you slice it, the s197 is the better platform. jmho....bobn
[align=right] [/align]
Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232
ORIGINAL: zkiller
You can keep your SN95 Terminators.
The S197 with forced induction looks better, handles better and can be as fast or faster.
The GT500 is just a rip-off with the dealer mark-ups.
1.) opinion
2.) handles better how? new edges have an IRS, not a solid rear, their downfall is they just wont hook up at the drag, for corners and DD a cobra willbe better if anything
3.) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem
Obviously looks are an opinion. However, just becasue some of the older cars were IRS doesn't make them automatically better. Does an old Honda Civic out-handle an S197? They had IRS. Anyway, the S197 has a much stiffer chassis and better weight distribution than the older cars. I have driven an older Cobra and my car back-to-back, and while the Cobra had more power, my S197 ate the cobra alive in the corners. (Now this may not be fair, as I have a lot of suspension mods, but still my car was far less expensive)
Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: majustin1

My family own a Dealership and ford will warranty the S/C but it is a $6G supercharger. But the big deal with the shelby is the name. We have already had two and sold them to perfectly happy middle age gentlemen. The Shelby WILL hold value and will probably increase in value over the years. Imagine if Carroll Shelby dropped dead today, then see what happens to the prices. I think it would be worth it if you could get one at sticker. The overall appeal is higher, it holds value, 5.4 S/C could put out huge numbers with little money after your huge initial investment. They are nice cars. I think some people go a little mod crazy on here, but for the money you could make a GT faster for cheaper, but i would take the shelby gt500
[align=left][/align]
What?!?!? Bite your tongue!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Blowngt92

I had a 03 cobra that was 501 rwhp and hated it. I had more fun and enjoyed my Auto 03 Mach 1 that had 300 rwhp and regretted every minute of getting rid of it to buy the cobra. I couldn't stand the 6sp and IRS and the only nice thing was the gobs of power and torque. My Procharged 05 GT is the best of both worlds and was cheaper than what 40k mile cobras are bringing!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:02 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Go to Cervini and get a C-500 built. You get the body kit, improved handling + brakes, and the SC
Old 04-13-2007, 09:53 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

[&:]for 20k?
ORIGINAL: okbfd

Go to Cervini and get a C-500 built. You get the body kit, improved handling + brakes, and the SC

Quick Reply: Why Not A Cobra?