Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust in Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
xxdmxx
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust in Southern California

I'm thinking about upgrading my exhaust system. I have a K&N CAI and DiablosportsPredator and my car is anAutomaticand was looking for a good exhaust. I need it to be street legal and sound good (No drone). Iwas wondering if anyone that lives in CA has upgraded their exhaust and is not being pulled over for being to loud . Also does anyone know a place in OC that can make custom tunes for Diablosport Predators? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:49 PM
xxdmxx
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust in Southern California

Anyone?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: xxdmxx

I'm thinking about upgrading my exhaust system. I have a K&N CAI and DiablosportsPredator and my car is anAutomaticand was looking for a good exhaust. I need it to be street legal and sound good (No drone). Iwas wondering if anyone that lives in CA has upgraded their exhaust and is not being pulled over for being to loud . Also does anyone know a place in OC that can make custom tunes for Diablosport Predators? Thanks.
I dont' know of any mufflers that won't drone. They all have a resonance frequency and that's where the droning occurs. When you say exhuast, do you mean the Cats and the rest of the exhuast or just a cat-back system? If you're just doing a cat-back you're street legal no matter what. It's when you start monkeying around with the cats that you Must look for C.A.R.B approved components.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:31 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Corsa's don't drone and sound great on many accounts. Also the FRPP GTA's are droneless (I think) but are not a huge change from stock.

I have MACs and they drone to beat the band, but they have the sickest bubbly gurgle at low rpm and scream likea NASCAR motor up in the revs. Decibel meter recently confirmed 104 dB at redline.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

I have the SLP loudmouths, and haven't been pulled over....yet. They SCREAM when you floor it, but at lower rmps (daily driving) they aren't much louder than stock.

here is a sound clip of mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvAhyubVpro

Old 05-01-2007, 08:04 PM
xxdmxx
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies. The SLP sounds nice thanks for the video. How much did it cost you for everything including installation? If you got them installed at a shop how long did it take likewise if you installed yourself and what did you need? I'm considering buying one and did you have to get a tune for the SLP?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxdmxx

Thanks for all the replies. The SLP sounds nice thanks for the video. How much did it cost you for everything including installation? If you got them installed at a shop how long did it take likewise if you installed yourself and what did you need? I'm considering buying one and did you have to get a tune for the SLP?
Well my friends dad installed them for me, it took him like.....30 minutes I would say. But I payed 299 for just the exhaust. There is a group buy going on right now, https://mustangforums.com/m_3079342/tm.htm

I honestly don't know what you need. Just basic **** I guess. And no tune is required for the SLP's or any axle back for that matter.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:06 PM
CAL

Old thread, so maybe too late to respond. However, for what it's worth the FRPP GTA's or (M-5230-GTAs) are "zero drone" and sound very nice.

I just installed them. There is no drone, slightly louder at idle, cruise is actually (IMO) less loud than stock and really, really sound nice at WOT!! They also seem tobe getting louder as they "season" a little. These arethe stock mufflers for the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT. (So I knew I'd have no emission and/or legal (loudness) problems. Heh, if there good enough for Shelby, there good enough for this novice.

From what I've heard, theGTAs are in no-way as loud as the SLPs, but if you want something better/deeper and slightly louder than stock and not going to have you "honed in on" by our-finest out there........then the GTAs are the way to go. (cheapest is at www.ninosport.com).
Old 05-14-2007, 04:12 AM
mcgyvertech
1st Gear Member

Sure, I went with the CA legal Ford Racing Exhaust from Stangsupension.com. It's priced right and louder than stock.
It's the same exhaust on the Shelby GT and GT-H.

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...idproduct=1141

Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

I've been pulled over three times now. Not for exhaust but various other reasons. Only 1 ticket for front plate not being there. Every single officer has saidthe car sounds and looks nice.
Here's a clip. Full Bassani Stainless exhaust.
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t=100_3996.flv