Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cams in, here are the numbers

Old 05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cams in, here are the numbers

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. I'm still early in my modding but am at that same cross road: Done the early, no-brainer things: CAI/Tune and gears. Now what's next? Nibble with the UDPs, Deletes, Driveshaft, etc.? Put on the N2O? Wait and just go straight to the FI?

Decisions, decisions.....

I just want to say again, I really appreciate your plain talk on what worked and didn't work.
How lucky you are. You've done the two mods that give you the most bang for the buck, the most seat of the pants change in performance. Now just put on the nitrous and get a tune for it, and look what you'll have: a great looking street car that can hang with most of the competition on the highways, and a track car that gets you in the upper 12s. If you got to have the sounds, then an axleback is all you need, if you need a few more tenths shaved off the ET, then get some Mickey Thompsons and you're there.

If you got the $$ and want to be in the elite 10% though, then get your supercharger.

John

Old 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM
JJ@WMS

Everyone please keep in mind that when I tuned this car, as I tune all vehicles, it is done with the car fully warmed up with maybe 5 minutes between pulls and tune adjustments. I do not ice down the intake or do any "tricks" to make numbers that are unreal.

I spent quite a bit of time trying different things in the tune, especially with cam angle for torque and load to see if it woke it up. I tried keeping the cams retarded for bit longer (to bring back tq) then bring them in for the hp and I tried it the other way as well with very little results. His best numbers came from bringing them in a bit lower.

A/F's were also at 12.4-12.5 across the board. Sure I could have commanded 13.0 and given him few more ponies, but this car is driven in the real world and driven often. If Jon wishes to take a tad bit of fuel out at the track, he has that option on the XCAL2.

I am never a big fan of just throwing cams at a mod motor without doing the proper valve and head work that will compliment cams. Ford did do a great job designing this motor along with the 2V 4.6. Think about this:

Older 5.0's started out with 185 hp rating, then moved up to 225 (at the crank), your much smaller motor is making 300rwhp stock and does so because of the work that went into intake manifolds and cylinder head/camshaft profiles. Its a very efficient motor.

Just wanted to share some info.

JJ@WMS
Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Yes I was going to mention that Justin's car has stock cams. Fastest 3 valve I know of,
I think that says it all. When I do my shortblock next winter, cams wont even be a thought. That money can be spent on so many other pieces that you do need when hitting the big HP numbers.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

does the hp being created through the cams vary depending on what type of mods you have... example shorty vs longtube, the longtube headers accompanied with the cams would produce an overall large number than with shorties, is this mainly due to the longtube headers or is it literally a mutual thing here where depending on the other mods, that determines how much the cams will push out...?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:40 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

JJbrings up a very valid point that I think is being missed here. Most importantly, what we are seeing here is a Valid real world number, not some BS number that has a 101 tricks thrown at it to make it look better. This is good info..

ORIGINAL: JJ@WMS

Everyone please keep in mind that when I tuned this car, as I tune all vehicles, it is done with the car fully warmed up with maybe 5 minutes between pulls and tune adjustments. I do not ice down the intake or do any "tricks" to make numbers that are unreal.

I spent quite a bit of time trying different things in the tune, especially with cam angle for torque and load to see if it woke it up. I tried keeping the cams retarded for bit longer (to bring back tq) then bring them in for the hp and I tried it the other way as well with very little results. His best numbers came from bringing them in a bit lower.

A/F's were also at 12.4-12.5 across the board. Sure I could have commanded 13.0 and given him few more ponies, but this car is driven in the real world and driven often. If Jon wishes to take a tad bit of fuel out at the track, he has that option on the XCAL2.

I am never a big fan of just throwing cams at a mod motor without doing the proper valve and head work that will compliment cams. Ford did do a great job designing this motor along with the 2V 4.6. Think about this:

Older 5.0's started out with 185 hp rating, then moved up to 225 (at the crank), your much smaller motor is making 300rwhp stock and does so because of the work that went into intake manifolds and cylinder head/camshaft profiles. Its a very efficient motor.

Just wanted to share some info.

JJ@WMS
I bolded and underlined what i beleive is the most importantpart. Basically, what a cam does is change duration and timing of the valve opening and closing events to allow the air to flow in and out of the cylinder. The cam itself does NOTHING to make more power, it only allows the heads to flow more air. More air = more oxygen=more fuel can burn=more power.A cam will NOT allow any more air to flow than the intake or exhaust paths will allow under natural conditions (forced induction is another matter entirely on this suibject). If the stock cam is already allowing the maximum air to flow that the stock head can handle in a given RPM range, the changing the cam will not make any more power, it will simply move it around.In the OP's case, he moved it up in the rpm's and traded some Tq for Hp. What I think this shows is exactly that... the stock cams are flowing very nearly what the stock head can handle. I think that with some porting, you would maybe see some better numbers from that cam, but thats for you to decide to or not.

To the OP, I am sorry you didn't get your desired result, but I wouldn't look at it as a total loss. You have gained some very valueable info for the Mustang community as a whole. You put it out there and let everyone know what happened.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
06_gt
1st Gear Member

Wow i cant believe you spent two grand to get cams in. thats crazy. i will have my dyno numbers after tomorrow and i will share with everyone. looking for 325rwhp... going to be tough.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:14 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Saw the Dyno graph and have to say it does not look good. I have attached a copy of the dyno pull my Stang did afterthe installation of the following: Steeda CAI, SCT/custom tune, underdrive pulleys and the IMRC delete (stock exhaust). Note, 300 lbs of torque at 2000 rpm's and note how broad the torque band is. With a 5 speed and 4.10's it pulls like a SOb out of the hole and all the way through to6000 rpm's. Street launches are simple, tac it up to 2000 rpm's, let the clutch out as fast as you can without wheel spin and nail the throttle. I also did a lot of work on the suspension, inlcuding LCA's.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63299/0280DDE9A3E349E9A185A664C71D9FB8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-06-2007, 10:02 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

That's one of the flattest torque curves I've seen out of these motors. Most 'come on' after about 3200 or so. Pretty impressive for CAI, Tune, Pulleys, and Plates.

Grats!
Old 05-06-2007, 10:44 AM
JJ@WMS

ORIGINAL: dseid2

Saw the Dyno graph and have to say it does not look good. I have attached a copy of the dyno pull my Stang did afterthe installation of the following: Steeda CAI, SCT/custom tune, underdrive pulleys and the IMRC delete (stock exhaust). Note, 300 lbs of torque at 2000 rpm's and note how broad the torque band is. With a 5 speed and 4.10's it pulls like a SOb out of the hole and all the way through to6000 rpm's. Street launches are simple, tac it up to 2000 rpm's, let the clutch out as fast as you can without wheel spin and nail the throttle. I also did a lot of work on the suspension, inlcuding LCA's.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63299/0280DDE9A3E349E9A185A664C71D9FB8.jpg[/IMG]
Dyno graphs look different depending on how they are scaled. If you notice, your tq table is scaled all the way to 750lbs of tq, for asthetic purposes that is fine, just like a long, thin, wide A/F graph, but its misleading. If the two were scaled the same way, they would look alike with the exception of hp. Yours is done making power at 5350 and I would be more worried about that then anything else. Stock they make power up to 5800.

Have you had it to the track? I would be interested in your trap speed.

That sure is a good looking 07 you have.

JJ@WMS
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

JJ@WMS:

This car is modified to go stop light to stop light, not run on the Autobahn. Everything is a compromise, but I am real happywith the results and absolutly not worried aboutpeak HP at 5300rpm's,for the street you really want Torque and dependability.The carpulls real hard to the red line, honestly, well beyond my expections for a $29K car (my other car is an 07 525). I have not had a chance to get the car to the track yet, but with the 4.10's, 5sp, stock tire diameter, 312 RWHP, 3600 lbsI have calculated thatthe carshould hit the traps at about 104 atabout 5300 rpm's and shouldrunabout a13.1. If you lookon Steeda's web site you will see that I have the Steeda Ultimate Power Pak less the axle backs, same as the Steeda Torch Red Q. The Steeda Torch Red Qwent 12.72 at 108 on drag radials and road race suspension! I also haveroad race suspension andI think that if I put drag radials on and got a professional driver (I am big man, 280 lbs) my car would run in the high 12's too. Anyway it is all speculation at this point, when I get to the the track I will post the results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cams in, here are the numbers