Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

turbo being installed as we speak

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:01 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

Default turbo being installed as we speak

my shop started my turbo install on friday and will be done early this week. the kit being used is the granetelli turbo kit for the 07 mustang. the only thing we are going to change is the intercooler. the one in the kit is good butthey have a larger one lying around that we are going to try and use. I will post dyno numbers and results when available. so far the kit is about 1/2 done and no issues up to this point.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:22 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: turbo being installed as we speak

What made you go with the granetelli kit?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

I got it at the right price and my big concern was emissions. this kit uses high flow cats and alot of the others remove all cats from the system. it really does not matter what you use, each brand of turbo or s/c will get you to the end result. the stock block will do 450rwhp with good tuning and will give the owner a lot of grins. my other choice was a KB but no one in my area has a turbo so I wanted to be different.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

i hear you. Thats why I went with the turbo. Myself have had bad experience with the company your using, but more on the Customer Service side. let me know if you guys run into any issues I may be able to help with tuning questions!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

hey 06SaLeEnhow many lbs. of boost are you running?
so far the install is going well but that is because a very good shop is doing it. if the average do it yourselfer was doing it they would be pissed. the instrcutions have not been updated. they are for an 05 stang and not on 06+ their are some differences in reference to where the oil feed line needs to be attached and they do not tell you where to attach the turbo oil return line. also the instructions do not include information about the changes they made to their own kit. I can see why some people were upset. the quality of the parts in the kit are top notch. soome of theclearences are tight and we may "massage" the kit somewhat as needed.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:23 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

9lbs. But we could get 50-70 more hp out of that but we chose to go ultra conservative. You can seen in my sig there mustang and dyno jet numbers.
The install of the kit is easy. my shop is top notch and had no issues with it. Clearance is a non issue. When they get to the tuning thats were gets tricky, mainly because very few people have done a turbo on these cars so tuning will be tricky. But like I said if they have any questions there is no shame in asking. Watch out for the TQ managament, that threw us off a little. I have had no issues at all and put over 1500 miles on it (7200 miles in 16 months on my 2006, since the turbo has been done 1 month 1/2 later 8700)
Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 PM
flattop

I called a local shop in my area that had the Graneteli kit on their website, and they informed me they no longer sold that and had switched to the the Hellion kit for the same customer service reasons and fitment issues. I am curious what you guys paid for the different kits (parts only, as I will install myself and have Diablo tune it). I am very interested in going turbo on my 06.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 PM
flattop

I forgot to ask if you guys have or know anyone who has an automatic with a turbo kit?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Well hellion 62mm kit will cost about 5k. Install is not hard so you could probaly do it yourself if you know what your doing. But as for the tuning, I advise you to go with a Dyno Tune. one reason because your asking for trouble and second because you have an auto and its tricky. Its really not that bad as long as you stay within 9psi-10psi range
Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 AM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

well we are still working on the granateli turbo install. the kit is for an 05 and it is the only kit they offer. my car is on 07 and ford made changes to the cooling system for 07 so needless to say we had issues. hopefully today we will be dyno tunning.

Quick Reply: turbo being installed as we speak