Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

installed the hurst short throw last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 PM
burnout083
1st Gear Member

Default installed the hurst short throw last night

first. removal of old shifter. easy. almost too easy. jack stands, 10mm wrench, 10mm deep socket, 13mm socket. 4 nuts pull it out the top and you're done.

here's the tricky part. getting the hurst in. the shifter assemblies are the same size but because of the reduced travel in the shifter arm, the shifter will not fit back down in the hole. you have two options. disconnect the driveshaft (which btw, is what i recommend. this would have made the install freakishly easy). or you can trim off some of the shifter assembly (which is what i did, because i didn't want to take out the ds). there is plenty of extra on the end, so its not that big of a deal, but i still recommend taking off the ds.

and now for the wrap up. I F**KING LOVE IT!!! seriously. shifting is so crisp. when hurst says 45% shorter they mean it. its ridiculous. if you're in a manual and don't have a short throw, then you need one. seriously. order it now.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: installed the hurst short throw last night

I know this is kinda a bump, but I'm most likely gonna order the hurst short throw this morning. Glad to hear the install is easy and the shifter is smooth and crisp.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: installed the Hurst short throw last night

I didn't have to do either of those actually to install mine...it just takes finesse to get the shifter back through the hole. Glad to hear you like it!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:55 PM
nhvickery
2nd Gear Member

i love the way my hurst feels to......and just like howarmat my shifter install just took a little finesse. but i do have a Q. does anyone shifter rattle in 5th????? it could be my great machanic skills.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

did you locktite the bolts for the shaft?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:38 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I just did mine this morning, and no need to trim anything. Just take your time and some finesse and it will go in. A second person underneath would help during this part, but even alone is very managable.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Same here! I do remember removing the bushing that mounts to the body, but other than that I just hooked it!

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I didn't have to do either of those actually to install mine...it just takes finesse to get the shifter back through the hole. Glad to hear you like it!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

mine has started to rattle. It's most noticeable in 3rd gear under hard acceleration. I know it's not the stick. I'll check the ball nut again, but other than that it has to be the stock linkage which means i'm screwed. not sure if it's possible to tighten up the shifter arm that goes into the transmission.

ORIGINAL: nhvickery

i love the way my hurst feels to......and just like howarmat my shifter install just took a little finesse. but i do have a Q. does anyone shifter rattle in 5th????? it could be my great machanic skills.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

Mine grinds before going in to second under full throttle only....any idea why?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Tay0627
1st Gear Member

Mine was a breeze to get in...I had one person in the car and one under it....made it go very smooth. BTW congrats on your shifter, you're gonna love it!! :-) Happy Shifting!!

Quick Reply: installed the hurst short throw last night