Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

True or false? Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

Default RE: True or false? Help me please

Hop in your car, make the 20 minute drive to VMP and tell them what your goals are, then LISTEN to their advice! The shotgun approach to purchasing add on parts is foolish. Establish the end result and then work toward that goal. Your heart seems to be in the right place, but you seem to be REALLY anxious to spend money. Establish a goal, develope the plan, work the plan. 3 simple steps that will guarentee sucess. From what i have read, VMP is a quality tune shop.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:02 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: chp2150

Hop in your car, make the 20 minute drive to VMP and tell them what your goals are, then LISTEN to their advice! The shotgun approach to purchasing add on parts is foolish. Establish the end result and then work toward that goal. Your heart seems to be in the right place, but you seem to be REALLY anxious to spend money. Establish a goal, develope the plan, work the plan. 3 simple steps that will guarentee sucess. From what i have read, VMP is a quality tune shop.
I do agree with this since VMP is so close to you....
Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Why did yo buy the coil on plug kit? our cars already come with them!!

I like said before, there are only a handful of bolt-ons that are worth it...dont be fooled by everyone else saying that you need it...

Just stick to the basic stuff right now, CAI, exhaust, Pullies, Charge Plates. Those four will ive you GREAT power...and then when the time comes to put a blower on...your set (just need to change the pullies back to stock)...

VMP is a great tuner, heard nothing but great stuff about them...personally haven't experience them, but the people that have are very happy.

Like stated about...pick a plan, and what you want...max power? reliable daily driver? supercharged?
Think about where you want to go, and then we on the forum can help you out or go talk to the tuners...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

good looking out guys , you got that right ive barely had my car for a month and it feels like ive had it for a year and i need to upgrade parts on it lol. So it looks like ill be sending majority of my order back to rpmoutlett hahaha oh well could be worse i didnt get a chance to get some info from you guys and i kept it all and got it all installed.

Thanks again

Mike(the newbie)
Old 06-20-2007, 06:32 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

IMO, just wait for the s/c if you're gonna do it anyway. otherwise most of those mods become totally worthless
Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BillyBobJoe

IMO, just wait for the s/c if you're gonna do it anyway. otherwise most of those mods become totally worthless
ya i thought about that too but the mods that im doin now arent too much money and a friend of mine is going to be buying one pretty soon also so when i decide to blow it towards the end of the year ill prolly just sell my parts to him cause he wont be able to blow his for a long time.Cant stand how the car is starved for air right now, i swear i can even feel it, it feels like its been choked by somebody.

Thanks guys
Old 06-21-2007, 09:24 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Alright cool just keep us updated. And add pics when your done!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ok well my order from rmp outlet came today, fast but............. throttle body was missing, and the udp were also not there, kinda pissed in one sence in another i dont have to send back the throttle body cause they never sent it but i got to get newpulleys, the rest of the stuff im gona take down with me to vmp and see what they see if i should bother or not and if the tuner i got is any good, i know its not that xcaliber one , F**K lol thats what i said when i read about rpm outlets sct tuner wasnt the one i wanted. Any way just wanted to thank those of you who shed some light on my newbie ***, ill post some pics soon
Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pignprogress
Ok these are my first mods i have purchased and after reading for awhile ive decided not to put on the the throttle body cause i aint seen nothing good about it. IM not too sure if i bother with the helix spacer now also? Are moto blues products any good? pulleys compared to steeda or roush?

C&l 95 ml cai & sct tune
bbk 65mm TB (holding off untill i get new heads)
helix TB spacer(do i add this with my combo?or wait and ad with TB)
Ford racing cmcv delete plates(? are the steeda ones better or just more $$$)
powerdyne tune plugs
moto blue pulleys(are steedas/roush better?)
160 thermostat
canton windage tray kit( is this good bang for buck $70)
motoblue "hardcore" coil on plug kit
for racing oil filter(best oil to use with this set up?)

Does the C series cervinis side exhaust kit pretty much cancel any idea of subframes? and if yes what is something good to make up for that loss when im ready to stiffen up my car?

My car is bone stock right now, i have 3.55 gears and that is it, any ideas and info i will be very thankfull for.

P.s any idea what my Hp est would be with this set up?(c&l 95mm sct tune,FR cmcv delete plates,motoblue coil kit,powertune plugs,windaget tray,pulleys 93 oct
The C&L Racer is too big for any stockdisplacementN/A motor except in the case where you have installed ALL of the high-flow intake components includingBBK's 62mm TB, CMCV delete platesand a set of moderately hot cams and springslike Comp's PN#127300 sticks. Otherwise stick with the C&L Street OR the slightly higher flowing Steeda 90mm CAI with high-flow elbow upgrade.

The funny thing about the BBK 62mm TB is thatthey only seem tomake poweron a completlystock intake or on a motor with all the bolt-onsincluding cams. As to people having problems with throttle bodies these folkswere not using BBK 62mm TB's and the few that had documented problems with BBK 62mm TB's were due to install problems or the need to make a slight adjustment to the at rest butterfly stops to get the correct throttle position sensor values at idle. My own experience with the BBK 62mm TB's was and remains a good one. To date I have installed three of these andall worked fine and were generally good for 4-8rwhp depending on thestate of the bolt-ons and tuner used.

FRPP CMCV delete plates are just as good as Steeda's billet delete plates. I'm running the FRPP delete plates which are the stock castingswithout the flaps installed. Both make power across the board with no losses down low as so many had predicted. On my own car I sawdepending on the RPM 8-11rwhp using SAE correction method and smoothing set to 5 on local DynoJet dynos. A few folks with fewer bolt-on found as many a 17rwhp on DJ dynosbut I don't know the correction or smoothing factors used for these numbers.

I think pulleys are not the way to go due to the fact that modern cars suck electrical power like nobody's business and the fact that I need that powerto runmy Meziere electric water pump. The beauty of the Meziere is that even sitting parked in traffic in 110F degree heat my air conditioning and engine coolant are running as cool as if I were driving along at 65mph. And here in SoCal this is a regular thing during summer rush hour or any hot day for that matter.

The windage tray used to bea great cheap partto free up wasted power and improve (reduce), oil aeration. But theyare aPITA to install without a strut tower engine support and a lift. The stock GT motors have a primative scraperand it is not as effective as it could be so there is probably a few ponies that will be freed up at upper RPM with an improvedwindage tray but they will take real effort to free up and they are only going to be seen ar high RPM just as they used to be back in the day of the original 289/302 blocks.

As to COP's don't bother unless you are supercharged.On aN/A engine there is no proof anywhere that they do anything at all except to lighten your wallet significantly. Spend that $500 on stuff that works like a good CAI cna handheld tuner.

The best oil filters are the Ford racing filters and Mobil 1 premium oil filters. But just as with anyother filter you need to change them frequentlyalong with your oil.

HTH!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:41 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ok well this is whats going on now, just a update , all of the stuff i got from rpm outlet i tried to get a hold them to return or exchange, there email system is **** as u all know and they dont reply so all i did was call visa and i have to send the stuff back to them and get a tracking number and visa is gona refund me all of my money from them, they told me as soon as i gave them the info it wouldnt be a problem because this isnt the first time they are hearing this from this vendor, so short story im happy gettin my money back and dont have to bother waiting a year or never getting anything from rpmoutlet, so those of you who have been screwed, call ya cc comp and i think they just look into them somehow and they will refund you pretty quick, guess rpm ****ed too many peeps over that its showing on there BBB record or somethign else

Quick Reply: True or false? Help me please