Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

FIXED see first post - Rough idle/ MAF Sensor Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rough idle/ MAF Sensor Cleaning

ORIGINAL: coji5gt

Well, at the Ford I work at, we use brake clean for MAFs all the time; in fact, that is all we use for them, just be sure to not touch the resistor as they break easily.For thethrottle bodies, Ford says not to clean them because they are not SUPPOSED to get dirty, but in reality, we all know they do. Clean them with brake clean and a stiff pipe cleaner...unless you wanna go the Ford way and purchase a new one. As far as the stalling at a stop off a freeway that is most likelya throttle body or IAC issue. NowI am not saying togo throw an IAC at it and it will be trouble free, but it is just a thought. And hammeron is correct on the vac lines about surging idle as well...
Nice to see i'm not the only one that thinks this way. I don't see how some "special" cleaner could be much different. I'd like to know ford official stand on cleaning MAF sensors though.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 PM
coji5gt
1st Gear Member

As far as warranty work goes, we do not clean them we replace them. (If we cleaned them we would not get paid. Thats beside the point though.) Im guessing that ford thinks they shouldnot be cleaned...maybe just a way for themto make more money...anyway, we use BG brand brake cleaner...non-chlorinated if that makes a difference.Theoretically any volitle cleaner can be used as long as it does not leave a reisdue because that would effect the cooling of the wire during engine operation.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chp2150

here's what you are refering to.

www.crcindustries.com/files/MAF%20Sell%20Sheet%20Web.pdf

I haven't had to use it yet, however, I'm always skeptical about horsepower claims in an aerosol can! I can say that I have used their other electronic cleaners and they work well.
Thanks for finding it. I think the HP claim is simply that cleaning a dirty MAF will return lost HP.. not find new.. who knows tho... I have never been one to trust advertising anyway. After posting that I did a bit of reading into this crap, and it's just regular contact cleaner with a lower pressure spray.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
y22kc

I had a very similiar problem, the only difference is mine never died. The surging rpms really irked me, but I read on another mustang forum that the throttle body being dirty could cause the surge. I removed my TB, and it was VERY dirty with black stuff around the flange. I used some TB cleaner by CRC, and it fixed it. I have 33k miles and have been running a JLT intake for about 28k of those miles.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
presto
1st Gear Member

UPDATE-Took off battery cable, waited 10 min put back on, no improvement.
Removed air hose from TB found blackish dust film or something on butterflies.
Tonight I will clean out theTB, filter, the air box and all the plumbing between the filter and TB, I hope this clears it up, otherwise I'moff to the dealership.

Any ideas to quickly dry a K&N filter after washing it, I know they say compressed air is a no no, but what about a hair dryer?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
y22kc

I always use a small fan to dry my filters. I wouldn't suggest using a hairdryer, they heat may damage the filter.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
presto
1st Gear Member

My wife has a hairdryer with a switch that turns off the heating element, i think that should be ok.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:01 PM
coji5gt
1st Gear Member

hiar dryer and compressed air is fine, as long as you use both very gently.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 AM
presto
1st Gear Member

I ended up using my clothes dryer, when I got done washing the filter my wife had just started a load in the dryer.I grabbed a couple of paper towels and set the filter on them on top of the dryer. Dry in 1 hour.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I set my filter on top of my A/C unit, it blows out nice hot air from the top.

ORIGINAL: presto

I ended up using my clothes dryer, when I got done washing the filter my wife had just started a load in the dryer.I grabbed a couple of paper towels and set the filter on them on top of the dryer. Dry in 1 hour.

Quick Reply: FIXED see first post - Rough idle/ MAF Sensor Cleaning