Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Torque Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Default Torque Converter Question

After searching and reading many posts on TC's I purchased the TCI Streetfighter (3000 stall) from JPC racing and had a question in regards to what to expect afterwards. Will I feel a difference with the upgrade? If so, what should I expect? My mods are in my sig and I appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Torque Converter Question

Your tranny will feel like it is slipping slightly when starting out under partial throttle..
3000 is a pretty low stall so it should be very easy to drive around town.
When you notice the difference is on launch. You will now be able to brake torque up to 3000 RPM so you will lauch harder than before.
The TCI converter is just a re-worked OEM converter. There are better converters available from PI and from Level 10 but the TCI is still better than stock.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Yeah but even though TCI's is a re-worked TC, I've never heard of any durability problems. Ask Member Spyder7724 he uses TCI's but 4000 stall speed TC.

BTW you're gonna need Drag radials otherwise launching at 3000rpms will smoke the tires.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

How exactly does a new TC work,,, i understand you can launch at a higher rpm and all that . But on the old ones you would have to rev to 3500 rpm before you would go anywhere and i didnt know anybody who used them execpt stictly on the street and i know technology is a lot more advanced now. Just curious. If i were sitting at a light would i have to rev to 3500 before i went anywhere
Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

All, thank you for the responses. Exactly the info I was looking for.

zkiller - does the TC only come into play when launching or is there a difference as well you get into after you're already moving? So if I'm moving around 30mph and nail it will I see a difference over the stock TC.

whitestallion06 - was wondering the same thing!

Again, appreciate all the info as I'm just trying to get a feel of what to expect when it's all finished

I did look at the others such as PI and Level 10 but the cost was about dbl and my driving habits (not a lot of track time) directed me in the TCI direction. Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

WhiteStallion06,
A torque converter is simply a fluid coupling device between the engine and transmission. It allows your engine to turn without directly turning the transmission.
A higher stall is simply more loose than a stock stall speed. So you don't have to wait until 3000 RPM to move from a light while driving normally. It just allows more slippage of the converter up to 3000 RPM.

Yes, you would feel a difference at 30 MPH. It will allow your motor to free spin faster and then engage the tranny. So when you nail it at that speed it will hit harder.
My tires would completely break loose at 30 MPH punch. You can set the converter to lock up after 40 MPH.
You will need slicks or some sticky tires to launch when torquing to 3000 RPM.
I run M/T ET Steets and get 1.5 - 1.6 60' times.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:34 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baha

Yeah but even though TCI's is a re-worked TC, I've never heard of any durability problems. Ask Member Spyder7724 he uses TCI's but 4000 stall speed TC.

BTW you're gonna need Drag radials otherwise launching at 3000rpms will smoke the tires.
I have heard of SEVERAL people with issues that HAD TCI's with superchargers. so much so that all of the ones I have talked with switched out their TCI's....that is why I am going with a PI...allot more money..but it is also a slam dunk in the reliability dept. JMO
Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Thanks for clearing all that up!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Great! Thanks as this was exactly what I was looking for...great feedback and information!

I went around and around on the TCI vs the others and the shop doing the install has not seen issues with them so we'll see what happens. I guess I can always replace it with a PI later on if I run into troubles. I'll keep you posted if I run into any issues.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

ORIGINAL: baha

I have heard of SEVERAL people with issues that HAD TCI's with superchargers. so much so that all of the ones I have talked with switched out their TCI's....that is why I am going with a PI...allot more money..but it is also a slam dunk in the reliability dept. JMO
Yeah you could be right but then again it depends how these people chose their TCs Specs..the same TC won't work on any application correctly, therefore we cannot say for sure TCIs products are bad. I also heard torque is the main reason for TC failures, if you exceed the TCs torque capacity then BOOM!!!

When I decide to get myself a TC I'll definately ask the manufacturer on which one to choose whether TCI or PI...

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Question