Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking of converting to Mobile-1 Syntheitc oil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:41 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Thinking of converting to Mobile-1 Syntheitc oil.

ORIGINAL: Bmr4life

Are you talking about the normal Mobil1 or the Mobil1 extended performance (which claims 15k miles or 1 year between changes)?

What is the recommended oil filter for use with synthetics and where should I buy it?
To date there is no extended performance for the 5w20 viscosity for mobil one...

I use a mobil one oil filter...I buy it at advance auto parts.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:35 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

I use 5w-30 in my engine which calls for 5w-20. but i'm in Houston, extremely warm here year round. If u dont ever see near really cold temps, then you can go 5w-30 as well.

Even with Amsoil, i'm a bit iffy on going 10k intervals. There are many factors that affect oil life. Dirty oil filter can lead to dirty oil. So again, before trying longer intervals, get an oil analysis done to see the remaining "oil life".
Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

ORIGINAL: Bmr4life

Are you talking about the normal Mobil1 or the Mobil1 extended performance (which claims 15k miles or 1 year between changes)?

What is the recommended oil filter for use with synthetics and where should I buy it?
To date there is no extended performance for the 5w20 viscosity for mobil one...

I use a mobil one oil filter...I buy it at advance auto parts.
I saw this site and thought there was.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...erformance.asp
Old 08-07-2007, 05:29 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ hmm maybe it's out but advance just doesn't carry it yet? They were pretty slow to pick up the 5w-40 suv formula for mobil one, so it'spossible...
Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I'll be sure to get the $20 oil analysis. That $20 may save me a couple hundred a year.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

Amsoil advertises longer drain intervals. But most i'd go on Amsoil+Ams filter is 10k miles. (25k is the advertised interval). On M1+M1 filter, i'd go about 6k-8k miles. Now this is on a non-boosted, close to stock car. When serious mods are installed, u should change more frequently.

The real way to determine your drain interval for your car is getting an oil analysis done. (blackstonelabs.com, or google it) its relatively cheap. ($20)
I checked out blackstone-labs.com

Do I need the standard test or the TBN? The TBN appears to be what I need. Its $10, but I need to have it done to a new and used oil sample, so the total will be $20. Is that what I'm supposed to get? thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 08:04 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Look at your mat.manual . If you are driving your car at constant speeds for 30 miles or so at a time , then go ahead and run longer intervals. Any other kind of driving is considered severe duty ( short trips ,towing , stop and go , whatever ) Why would you circulate dirty oil for more than 3000 miles or 3 months?I have been a Wolf's Head , Emblem and Pennzoil distributer for 25 years.OIL IS CHEAP. ENGINES ARE NOT.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcburns36

Look at your mat.manual . If you are driving your car at constant speeds for 30 miles or so at a time , then go ahead and run longer intervals. Any other kind of driving is considered severe duty ( short trips ,towing , stop and go , whatever ) Why would you circulate dirty oil for more than 3000 miles or 3 months?I have been a Wolf's Head , Emblem and Pennzoil distributer for 25 years.OIL IS CHEAP. ENGINES ARE NOT.
What I'm trying to figure out is if the synthetics will truly be that dirty after only 3k miles. I guess I'll just have to buy some Amsoil and send in some samples.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Not only are you dealing with dirt, but also dealing with moisture. Like I said before, oil is cheap, engines are expensive. Why would you go against what Ford recommends in their own maintenance manual? Ultimately, the goal is to keep the engine as clean as possible.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

I use 5w-30 in my engine which calls for 5w-20. but i'm in Houston, extremely warm here year round. If u dont ever see near really cold temps, then you can go 5w-30 as well.

Even with Amsoil, i'm a bit iffy on going 10k intervals. There are many factors that affect oil life. Dirty oil filter can lead to dirty oil. So again, before trying longer intervals, get an oil analysis done to see the remaining "oil life".
the bearing clearances in these cars require a 20 weight oil to receive proper lubrication. The thicker 30 weight oil could be a problem. Both viscosities are the same price, so why risk engine failure?
...jeez I used to think that the v6 vs. v8 flamewars were bad, but it seems like every two weeks or so we have a big knock-down drag-out re: oil viscosity, synthetic or no, extended service intervals, etc. If there's not already a sticky then there should be. And I never thought I'd say this, but

USE THE SEARCH

Quick Reply: Thinking of converting to Mobile-1 Syntheitc oil.