Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

C&L or WMS CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default C&L or WMS CAI?

ok, first off, i'm sorry for starting ANOTHER CAI thread. i posted this question in the CAI sticky, but i only got a response from one or two members so i figured i should do a seperate post.

i'm going to be ordering a CAI+Tuner combo in a few days. i know i want the SCT because it seems that tunes for the SCT aremuch more widely usedversus the Diablosport. i'll probably order from Brenspeed, but i don't know which CAI to get. i was going to just go with the C&L because i've heard nothing but good about them. then i realized there are 2 different C&L CAI's... is there a difference in them other than one is made of plastic and one is metal? the plastic one is a "95mm Racer"intake, whereas the metal one is just an "intake". does the "Racer produce more power or something? i also saw the WMS Intake, which looks like it would be awesome. there aren't any bends, it's just a straight shot for the air to go in... wouldn't that give a better flow and, thus, more power?

so basically, should i get the C&L Intake, C&L Racer Intake, or WMS Intake? then, should i order from Brenspeed or somewhere else? i've looked in as many CAI threads that i could and havn't been able to find much on the WMS...
Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: C&L or WMS CAI?

The C&L street is for mildly modded cars, the racer is for the wildly modded cars. The difference is the plastic vs. cast tube. I've never heard anything about WMS so I'd go C&L street/SCT tuner from brenspeed.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:35 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I've always been a fan of the WMS intake, but when I was buying mine the deciding factor was the price. The C&L intakes are just as good and are alot cheaper. I do think that the WMS intakes probably perform a little better, they certainly look alot better, but the performance difference is minimal if not negligible.

If you're choose between the C&L Street and Racer, get the Racer. It's cheaper, and is slightly larger than the Street intake. As long as you have a good tune for it you won't have any problems.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i was on BAMA Chips and they have a C&L Racer with SCT LiveWire combo that looks really cool. anyone have a LiveWire? i'll be driving back and forth between home and college once or twice a month so the "economy" setting on the LiveWire could come in very very handy...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

livewire not worth it....just get the Xcal with racer from Doug, you wont be sorry
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

who's Doug? is that someone at BAM@ (why does it sensor that?) or Brenspeed or an individual seller?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

yeah it's doug at b*a*m*a*, they censor it because he does not pay to advertise on this forum...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

areB*A*M*A's tunesbetter than Brenspeed's?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:36 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

they're pretty much #1 and #2, but who's in which spot will depend on who you talk to. I used brenspeed and was impressed, esp. with their customer service. Plus if you buy anything from them in the future that needs a retune, they'll do it for free via email. Many on this forum swear by doug's tunes for automatics, but I've never dealt with him.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

well i've got a manual, so that won't make a difference.

Quick Reply: C&L or WMS CAI?