Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Question for fellow T-56 conversion owners.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Default Question for fellow T-56 conversion owners.

Hello, I am wondering if anyone that has the T-56 has a problem similar to mine. My problems is when I am trying to shift at a higher RPM say above 4000 it is was to hard to get in gear. I have the D&D T-56 kit with a centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate.I am also running an 03 Cobra aluminum flywheel. I was told by one person that it may possibly be caused by the slave cylinder not being strong enough to press the centerforce pressure plate at higher RPM's. Has anyone else had a similar problem or another Idea. I have debated puting on the factory pressure plate, or trying to find a stronger throughout bearing. Please any advice would be great thanks.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question for fellow T-56 conversion owners.

Can you upgrade to the GT500 hydraulics? I doubt it's thethrowout bearing. Sounds like a clutch issue, though.
How do you like the T56?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 AM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

I had thought of trying out the GT500 clutch, however I am not sure if would work, also is there a diffrence with the throw out bearing.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:10 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Could it be because of flex or torque?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:30 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

No I dont think its because of flex or torque, my newest idea is that the throw out bearing is not far enough forward to push the fingers of the pressure plate far engough in to fully release it. I wonder if the 03 Cobra Aluminum flywheel I have is to thin, I believe that may be causing my clutch problem.The reason is the throw out bearing does not push in on the fingers of the pressure plate all the way because it is sitting to far away from it. So by the time it gets to the pressure plate it is allready out of travel. Does anyone happen to know the thickness of an 03 Cobra aluminum flywheel compared to an 05 up flywheel.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

This won't help you, but why did you buy the cobra flywheel? Surely you weren't trying to save a few bucks.

ORIGINAL: smoke14me

No I dont think its because of flex or torque, my newest idea is that the throw out bearing is not far enough forward to push the fingers of the pressure plate far engough in to fully release it. I wonder if the 03 Cobra Aluminum flywheel I have is to thin, I believe that may be causing my clutch problem.The reason is the throw out bearing does not push in on the fingers of the pressure plate all the way because it is sitting to far away from it. So by the time it gets to the pressure plate it is allready out of travel. Does anyone happen to know the thickness of an 03 Cobra aluminum flywheel compared to an 05 up flywheel.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:39 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well I didnt buy the stock Cobra flywheel, I purchased one for a 99-04 style 8bolt crank. I got a really good deal on the FRPP billet steel one.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:34 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

If your system is fully hydraulic, which I believe it is, it automatically takes up the necessary slack between the clutch fork and TO brg/ pressure plate. Then it's just a function of throw distance, which should be adequate. What I'm saying is, the hydraulics will make up for the difference in flywheel thickness, if there is any, and if that's the ONLY difference. It sounds like you're mixing and matching some parts here. You may have a problem with the length of throw in the salve cyl. in relation to the new clutch. It's a little confusing, though, since if the clutch is a (performance) replacement part it should have all the same dimensions as a stock, and operate the same. I'd contact Centerforce and see what they say.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:46 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smoke14me

Well I didnt buy the stock Cobra flywheel, I purchased one for a 99-04 style 8bolt crank. I got a really good deal on the FRPP billet steel one.
I'm guessing because of your engine mods, you're running a Cobra crank, or even block? There may be differences in the flange location with the Cobra crank from the stock 4.6, or if you have a different block, could be some changes there, as well.
Another thing I've found in the past is bell housing alignment. Hard to check with a one piece bellhousing, but more than once I've had to indicate in a bell housing with offset block dowels. When the bell housing is off, it can also make shifting difficult.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:40 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well it is a eagle 8bolt crank, made for the03/04 Cobra, with05 up aluminum block, with eagle rods, and Arias Pistons. I am pretty sure that the problem is that it is too far for it to reach the full distance. I found on another forum where someone had a similar problem. He fixed it with a 150 thousands spacer behind the throw out bearing.