Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Turbonetic owners. give us feedbacks

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbonetic owners. give us feedbacks

Well I HAVE THE KIT, and it is INSTALLED on my 07 AUTOMATIC (the only one as far as I know on an auto - and I will tell you why) which I purchased from Jesse at Turbo-kits.com. What can I say it was a great deal on the kit, and I think he is still has going on.

By the way Turbonetics is NOT ESTIMATING 550 from their kit, that IS WHAT THEIR TEST MULE IS MAKING.

OK so I am going to update Jesse's thread with this as well but the kit is awesome, but the issue I had that is in no way going to affect the Manual transmission cars is the clearance beneath the transmission on the Y pipe that comes off the cats and goes back to the front to the turbo. So basically we were able to bring the clearance to barely make it under that trans pan but with such little ground clearance already on my car we have not driven it too much with the worry of possibly dmaging underneath. Now remeber that is ONLY an issue because I have an automatic transmission and the kit was made for a Manual transmission so we knew going in there would need to be some kind of changes made to get it to work.

Other than that issue everything on the kit went very smooth on the install, the instrauction provided with the kit were extremly detailed (in fact we joked about some of the detail) but overall I am extrmely pleased with both its performance and quality. I will try to get some photos up soon and some of the dyno sheets as well.

We did do a custom tune on the car and that is because with there being 2 huge driving lights in front of my intercooler (cervini's kit) and really not needing to push the limits on the car at the moment. Also I wanted to get a few mile on the kit before turning it all the way up and seeing how high it would go.

Basically (back to the transmission issue) there are a few ways we saw that could be worked around to get the kit to work. The first was what we did (explained above), and the second is what we may do which is to basically cut the exhaust further back and bend new pipes to fit it behind and around the transmission instead of under it, we tried to get away without doing this but with my car being lowered on the H&R Coilovers (also purchased from Turbo-lits.com) is making for very very low ground clearance under the transpan, and the last thing I need to do is bottom out and smash either that pipe or the pan. Unfortuantley there is really no way to alter the pan and there are no low profile pans available.

In fact my next step is to add a new torque converter and trans cooler to kind of support the extra heat and pressure. We are also upgrading to a single piece aluminum driveshaft and a new set of rear gears.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:15 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbonetic owners. give us feedbacks

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

i'd say go procharger route. turbonetics have had a history of oil seals going bad prematurely. Even though they may cover it the first year, anytime afterwards, u're on ur own.
I am curious as to where you are getting your data? We have never had any issue with any of our Hellion set ups (4 cars), the RX8 which is a custom kit with a Turbontics turbo, or the 350Z which is their kit for the 04. I also have a few friends racing on Turbonetics turbos who have had nothing unexpected of them.

By the way guys..... HELLION uses TURBONETIC TURBOS........

By the way to add the install took a bit just over 11 hours to do on my car, would have only been about 9 hours, and being the first time doing an install of this kit the guys at the shop went a bit slower and took a bit of extra extra care to double check with the instructions so they could probably do it in about 7-8 now that they have been through an install. This means you are looking at whatever the cost of a custom tune is (which you do not NEED in a Manual, but I would recommend) and the install which will be $750 - $1100 depending on what they chrge on labor and how long they actually take on the install.