Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking of getting a CAI, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 01:58 PM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking of getting a CAI, need advice

Wow, thanks for all the advice! Didn't mean for this to turn into an argument. Lots of people have asked why I don't want a tune and it's because I heard that putting a tune in your car will/could do the following:
-Void your warranty (I still have one year left)
-Possibly cause your car not to run or stall or not run well
-Ruin the computer costing big $$$ to get a new one
-Put excess wear on the transmission
-Give you less gas mileage (I have read and heard that CAI's will get you about 1-2 more mpg plus some hp, which is why I was interested in getting one)

I actually do have an SCT Xcal2 that has a program for a different vehicle (which I no longer possess) and it did put some excess wear on the tranny and gave me less gas mileage. It was also chaos trying to get the right program b/c the first time I got it, the car wouldn't even start! I had to send it back and then download multiple programs to finally get everything the way I liked it. All in all, it was a bad experience and Idefinitely do not want to damage my Stang in any way. I wanted a CAI because I thought it would be a simple (and reversible) way to get some more hp and a little extra mpg's. I haven't heard too much about SCT Xcal 2's on this forum, but I am still very wary of using it on my car. Maybe I will upgrade the suspension instead since it kinda seems like the CAI route is starting to seem like it'snotworth the money.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:22 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: BartSimpson

Wow, thanks for all the advice! Didn't mean for this to turn into an argument. Lots of people have asked why I don't want a tune and it's because I heard that putting a tune in your car will/could do the following:
-Void your warranty (I still have one year left)
-Possibly cause your car not to run or stall or not run well
-Ruin the computer costing big $$$ to get a new one
-Put excess wear on the transmission
-Give you less gas mileage (I have read and heard that CAI's will get you about 1-2 more mpg plus some hp, which is why I was interested in getting one)
Many dealers allow a CAI/tune to be installed....i have never had a problem at my dealer and they have to prove that the CAI/tune caused the problem for them to deny the warranty....it wont void the whole thing anyway.

Maybe 1 out of 50 have a problem with the tune and if you work with your tuner, Brenspeed Bamachips etc, they can easy fix it. Most problems arise becuase they give the tuner the wrong PCM code or forget to list a mod. It will not ruin your computer and you will not have to get a new one, they can reflash yours to stock if something did every happen but it will not "ruin" it

It can put slightly excessive wear on the tranny, but you can also keep your shift points the same, its up to you, but increasing the shift pressure should make the car feel better and certainly perform better

Depending how you drive, many people see an increase in the MPG....the people that get lower MPG, like me, get on it quite a bit more since it is so much more fun to drive.

If you are dead set against a tune then the Granatelli with the the new MAF is best because it will adjust for the extra airflow, the K&N and C&L do not have this so the computer might throw codes saying I am getting extra air and dont know what to do with it. This should also get the most gains, 20ish is not out of the question from the people have had them dynod. I dont know anyone who has come on the board and stated the CAI/tune was the worst thing I have ever done and it trashed my car and my warranty is screwed. Its usually the opposite and them stated they cant believe they waited this long to do it, I have a new car now!!

Good luck either way.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:42 PM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Thanks howarmat! I think I'm back on board the CAI thing now. If you haven't already figured out, I'm not exactly an encylcopedia of car know-how so I like to ask questions before I do anything (especially to this car). Imay possiblysupercharge the car at least a year or two from now when it isno longer my daily driver. Would the Granatelli CAI work with a blower? What would you recommend as the best set up when it comes to CAI's (whether or not you have it). Since I already have a SCT Xcal 2 is there anyone that you would recommend to reprogram it to work with my Mustang or, is the Xcal 2 not too good/should I go with something else?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:59 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

For the best results and most HP for your money...get a C&L/JLT/Steeda CAI with a Bamachips/Brenspeed/VMP tune....they all have CAIs and can send you new tunes for the XCal2 also

Each s/c has its own setup, some CAIs might work on some but not others....You will have to decide on which s/c you want before knowing it the CAI will work.....I know the steeda and I think JLT will work with some....in the end, when/if you get a s/c, the CAI will maybe be 200-250 more if you have to buy a new one and there will be plenty that are used by the that time for an even better deal.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:10 PM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Hmm... Well I have looked at a bunch of superchargers and I have noticed that some of them say not to use a CAI of any sort, I wonder why. I really like the Saleen supercharger kit, it just looks sleek. Not even Saleen puts a CAI on any of their cars; I wonder why this is? I mean ford puts its own CAI on the Shelby/CS don't they? I wonder why some high performance Stangs like the Saleen and GT500 don't use them.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Actually I believe they do have some sort of CAI on the saleen just they use the stock setup mostly, this is due to clearence issue's. Brenspeed puts the steeda CAI on the Saleen with the stock intake tube or the Saleen extreme tube. Whipple comes with an upgraded 95mm maf and cai in the kit, and Kenne Bell also comes with it's own version of a CAI. I can tell you from experienece that the tune for my airaid turned my car into a beast compared to the untuned airaid. A tune will do much more and the tuners mentioned(Brenspeed, Bama, VMP)in this thread are outstanding both with the products they sell and the customer service.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:52 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

I installed the K&N about a month and a half ago. I instantly noticed the 18 HP increase....it was great.

About 3 weeks ago I installed a brenspeed tune, which further increase the proformace of my car. You really notice the low end torque with the tune. I have a manual.

If you opt to go with only the CAI, the K&A is a good product. If you are planning on a tune and CAI I might be tempted to look at soe of the package deals out there. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:57 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

18 HP from just the K&N...where are the graphs on this...
Old 10-08-2007, 12:58 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't go with the K&N again even with a tune, personally I would look for something else. What kind of gains would you get from just a tune?

P.S. I'm not telling him to **** up his car howarmat
Old 10-08-2007, 01:05 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

bartsimpson,

the first mod i did was the k&n CAI. i did notice a difference after although no dyno to prove anything. I suggest JLT, it is just as good as C&L and costs about $200. JLT + tune = 25rwhp. my next performance mod will include swapping my K&N to JLT.

[sm=violent053.gif] [sm=shootshoot.gif]

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a CAI, need advice