Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Flywheel or Alum. Driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:35 PM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

Default Flywheel or Alum. Driveshaft?

if I did my clutch, and I'm on a budget which would you do. Clutch with aluminuim flywheel or Clutch with Alum driveshaft?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:04 AM
DreamMachine
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Flywheel or Alum. Driveshaft?

Currently installing a KB supercharger. My mechanic recommended I go ahead a change the clutch while we were in there since it would eventually go anyway. I asked about the driveshaft and he said not to waste the $$. The flywheel will make a much bigger diff in performance. It creates a huge weight reduction in the front end allowing for more go go go! All things being equal, he said, that 2 identical cars, 1 with alum. flywheel, 1 w/O, the 1 w/alum. flywheel winsthe 1/4 mile by a whole cars length....huge diff, for small price! Go with the flywheel.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 AM
zeindog
1st Gear Member

I would beg to differ...I would go with the clutch and driveshaft. The driveshaft will be the most noticable difference, look at the spydershaft, they did a comparison and it droppedabout .2 off the 1/4 mile which an aluminum flywheelwill not do.Using an aluminum flywheel will make launching you car harder due to less rotational mass and its been proven before on identical cars that it does next to nothing for your 1/4 mile time. They are good for autocrossing when coming out of a turn you really need to get the rpms up but if your intention is street/strip I would just stick with the steel and get a good clutch and aluminum driveshaft.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

what clutch are you using with that black box on your motor.[8D]
Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
zeindog
1st Gear Member

I am completely stock for now. Im just waiting for it to go, but so far its held up for the past 3 months. When it does go I will be getting a spec clutch with their carbon steel flywheel which is slightly lighter than stock but not as light as aluminum.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I say just get the flywheel and DS[8D]
Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

new flywheel ftw
Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I would think you would see more gains from a DS as the weight savings are considerable, 42lbs down to 16-18lbs. You are going to see that same percentage of reduction in mass with the flywheel. Plus the DS should be a easier swap.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I would get the clutch and the flywheel. My installer pointed out that I should drive the car until the clutch starts to fail and do the alum flywheel at the same time as the clutch as healready has access to the flywheel and they work great together and it would be a good upgrade. Less rotational mass is the final goal with either of the upgrades but two very different applications. I want to work from the front to back and the S/C is in and now its clutch (spec III) and flywheel time in the very near future. The car runs strong stock but I know I would benefit from a new clutch and flywheel esp off the line....IMO. I plan on getting the driveshaft and gears after providing everything holds up well in the drivetrain. (ex -replace whatever breaks first regardless of what I want to do first)!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

yeah just dont know how long I will keep the stang. but for now. If I did clutch without the flywheel, I could do the alumdriveshaft, and if I sold the car I could easily pull off the driveshaft and sell it. I couldnt just easily pull the flywheel. plus I just drag race with it.

Looks like its clutch and driveshaft

Quick Reply: Flywheel or Alum. Driveshaft?