Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

camshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Default RE: camshafts?

be nice guys
Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 PM
rakkassan34

FLAME ON! lol can we talk some more about who has the coolest antenna and what shop we took our car to so professionals could instal it?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:03 AM
dave_17_hooya

mmmk. so everyone is just gunna like laugh at me. thats cool. well i saw the add in a modified mustang magazine, its comp cams. idk why everyone is thinking im stupid. i saw this with my own eyes. im new to cars but i know how to read. and i dont member wat site it was on but i went to rpmoutlet.com and i found some for like $600. idk why they said such a low price in the magazine but they did. http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtknn.htm thats the link. once again srry for writing wat i read.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:06 AM
dave_17_hooya

o and im only 16 so im srry if i dont have a huge working knowledge of mustangs.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Don't sweat it Dave, some of us (myself included) like to have a laugh, it helps us to enjoy our time here. Like Robert Deniro told his Son in the Bronx Tale.....You'll understand when you get older.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:06 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

Ah guys, he admits he's a rookie--cut him a break!

It's been a while but my pair of Comp Stage III camshafts, with the springs (Brenspeed, I think, and YOU NEED the springs) was about $1000. So $600 is getting pretty close to what I paid for just the pair of cams. However, RPMOutlet has give me some real trouble on screwed up orders, so take that into consideration. Finally, changing cams in the S197 Mustangs is NOT for the faint of heart and I'd take it to a shop that has real experience doing engine work on 4.6l mod motors. Let's say $1000 for the install.

On the street cams won't do you much good, although they are good for a few tenths at the dragstrip. I made about 23hp but lost some torque, so think about it. It's not the best mod to spend your money at first. What is it you are looking for out of the car?

Oh, just so you know, "Eleanor" is spelled a bit different than the word in your signature ("Elanor"). Is that what you meant?

John
Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 AM
dave_17_hooya

yay someone cut me some slack finally. ok well now i know. and im looking for increses's in both hp and torque. idk i just want a fast car. haha. but thanks i appreciate that, my auto tech teacher said it wasnt that hard and he is a pretty sharp guy but ill believe u guys. and no. if i misspelled it then thats how i have to keep spelling it, and plus mine isnt a gt500 so that makes up for it being different, different car different spelling of the name lol. but ya i didnt know it was spelled different, thanks again!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:19 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dave_17_hooya

yay someone cut me some slack finally. ok well now i know. and im looking for increses's in both hp and torque. idk i just want a fast car. haha. but thanks i appreciate that, my auto tech teacher said it wasnt that hard and he is a pretty sharp guy but ill believe u guys. and no. if i misspelled it then thats how i have to keep spelling it, and plus mine isnt a gt500 so that makes up for it being different, different car different spelling of the name lol. but ya i didnt know it was spelled different, thanks again!
If you're looking to improve performance a bit, in MY opinion the best bangs for the buck are:

1. Cold air intake with 93 octane tune.
2. 4.10 gears

That's about $1000.

If you want to look, handle and sound good, then:

1. Wider tires in 275/40-18 (assuming you have 18" wheels)
2. Aftermarket axleback exhaust
3. Lowering springs (about 1.5" drop)

To me that's the basic "level 1" kit for modifying your Mustang. After that, the mods are somewhat incremental, start getting expensive, and require some thought about where you want to go (street machine, drag strip, open track/autocross, show machine).

Have fun and listen to your auto tech instructor. He has probably been there/done that.

John
Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 AM
04 40th gt
1st Gear Member

Dave,

Ask your shop teacher if he understands the new style of motor that ford it using. Some of these Shop Tech guys are still livingin the one cam, push rod style V8 engine era (no offense intended). Those were relatively easy back in the day, and cheap. Those were the 200 dollar cams you speak of. Good luck with your journey, there are some really great people along with some really great knowledge here.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04 40th gt

Dave,

Ask your shop teacher if he understands the new style of motor that ford it using. Some of these Shop Tech guys are still livingin the one cam, push rod style V8 engine era (no offense intended). Those were relatively easy back in the day, and cheap. Those were the 200 dollar cams you speak of. Good luck with your journey, there are some really great people along with some really great knowledge here.
Good point! My son's cam for his '87 was $250, and afew hours work to install AFTER removing the engine. He went through automotive school at Lincoln Tech, and despite the high tech facility, the donor cars weren't exactly late model machines. Thankfully his shop does a lot of late model performance work, and oddly enough I usually ask him questions FIRST, before cruising the internet for answers...

John

Quick Reply: camshafts?