Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

camshafts?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:00 AM
dave_17_hooya

Default RE: camshafts?

ok i dont understand the gear things. like i have an auto tranny. and ya i dont understand it when ppl say like 4.10 gears. and im gunna get a computer programmer first then a CAI with a new 70mm throttle body. that is my first objective for my car. and i have 20s so i dont think i could lower the front anymore, i have alot of clearence in the bak so im sure i could lower it there. im on a pay check to paycheck basis though as far as saving up for parts so ya its gunna take me awhile. thanks guys
Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 AM
dave_17_hooya

ya i found cams for my stang for 187 each in my modified mustang magazine and everyone kinda thought i was stupid. and im pretty sure my auto tech teacher is updated on current motors. he is really sharp and has a very big passion for cars, so im going to consult him before i do anything to my car. but here at the school we have all the tools to do the work to pull an engine and lift the car if i did want to put in a new camshaft.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Okay good luck with that! I suggest you ask the auto shop teacher about overhead cams, varaiable valve timing and the necessary custom dyno tuning he will need to do to get those cams installed and running correctly.
No need to remove the engine to change cams, it can be done in the car. It is not a simple job and would require some experience with overhead cams.Therealtrick is knowing how to setup the VVT and get the car running with the new cams. It is 600 for the cams but you need another 400 in parts to install them.
If you paid any attention to what JWGROOVIN said in his post you would probably re-consider the cam upgrades because they wont make your car much faster.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
dave_17_hooya

ya i probably wont do it now. but they do sell for 200. its right in front of my eyes in a magazine, the ad is for mustangsunlimited.com thats wat it says im not trying to be a know it all or anything. but ya i think im just gunna stick with thte custom computer tune the throttle body and the CAI for now, then ima work on the appearence with some roush stuff like the louvers and the wing. stuff to make it stand out
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

The 200 dollar camshaft is probably for a 5.0 liter engine. That is not an overhead cam engine but a pushrod engine. You have an overhead cam engine and can only use cams made for the 4.6 liter 3-valve engine. Each cam controlstwo intake valves and one exhaust valve per cylinder. (3 valves)
The 96-2004 Mustangs have 2 valve overhead cams. Each cam controls one intake and one exhaust valve per cylinder. (2 valves)
The overhead camscome in pairs starting at around 589.00
Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

That price has got to be for a single 5.0 cam.That's why I asked about the price. RPM has better prices but some have had problems with them here. Sorry for picking on you in my first post, I couldn't help it. I'm a smart ***. I do agree that you'll see more with a CAI and tune. Oh, and on the gears, that's the gears in the rear end of your car. You probably have 3.31 gears and with 4.10s you'll putmore torque to the ground.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 PM
dave_17_hooya

so how do u change the gears? where and wat would i look for and how much are they? and its ok to pick on me, lol, everyone likes to get there laughs. and ya the whole cam thing sounds to complicated so ima not mess with it until i get a very good knowledge of it all.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
rpatyna

Hi, you should probably decide a few things. how much do you want to spend? What are your goals? Do you want to stay naturally aspirated or Super charged or possible turbo charged. Anyway I have done alot of Mods,all N/A ( naturally aspirated )each with a different result. Here is a link to my details.
Good Luck, it's fun once you get into it.
Rob
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460665/1
Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 PM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dave_17_hooya

i was talking about the camshaft. the rod with the oblong metal parts that makes the valves open and close. not the entire cam. they sell for like $200
o.k, now I'm confused????[&:]
Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Dave 17, do yourself a favor and save your money. If you're only 16, you just need to drive this car for a while and learn what it's about. It's already got way more power than you can even come close to knowing what to do with. You obviously don't know what you're talking about here, and haven't even started to do your homework before jumping into something like this with both feet in your mouth. (sorry if that sounds offensive, but it's true). If you're using this kind of poor judgement on your approach to your car, I imagine you'll do the same thing behind the wheel, and my guess is that you're going to end up with this thing wrapped around a tree somewhere if you don't just take things one step at a time here.
One more of your mis-informations here is you don't have a single throttle body, and don't need to replace the one you have (with a 70mm). You don't need a CAI, you don't need cam(s), and you don't need more power. You might want to do some handling upgrades, but if you really want to impress people, impress them with how smart you are and what good judgement you use in your decisions and the questions you ask.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: camshafts?