Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

camshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
dave_17_hooya

Default RE: camshafts?

ya its already confusing me
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

I just want to mention something, if you have an Eleanor and you're 16, im assuming your parents bought it for you. Sosome otherquestions you need to ask are: Will my parents want me modifying my car? Do they know about what I am doing? Are they okay withme most likely voiding their warranty with these parts?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

OK, that's a good point. If you're working 2 jobs, I would suggest only doing mods you can undo easily until the warranty is out, like CAI and tune and mufflers. It's hell if you break something and can't pay to get it fixed and the warranty won't cover it because you modified it.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

A couple of questions for you Dave, about your car...

1) I think you mentioned it's an automatic. If it is, I think most would agree that 3.73 gears are a better choice for you over the 4.10's. For that matter, can you describe your car.. what options it has, etc.. maybe even a couple of pics?

2) You mentioned a 70 mm Throttle body. Is your mustang a V6 or a V8? I only ask because the 70 mm is for a V6 (or the older style SN95 mustangs with the 2 valve 4.6 liter V8) and the aftermarket TB's for the V8's are dual 62mm's. The TB on the V8 is not worth the money. Most are having problems with them, and the gains are minimal unless you have a turbo or a supercharger.

3) Head over to www.howstuffworks.com and read up on gear ratios and on the internal combustion engine. Both will help you out immensely going forward from here.

4)Before you turn one screw or loosen one bolt on your car, have a plan of what you want to do and what you expect your car to do from start to finish. Throwing parts hap-hazzardly at a car only leads to cars that are never quite how you want them. Having a plan and a goal in mind for the car will help you stay focused on what you want, what you need to get there and the method to get there with. Once you have that plan and your ready to start, STICK WITH THE PLAN!!! Too many times I have seen people just throw random parts at cars that don't nessacarily play well with one another, and end up with a car that doesn't live up to the owners expectation and doesn't perform as well as the long list of parts suggests it should.

5) Last thing... while I am sure your auto tech teacher is a very sharp guy when it comes to cars, I am really going to suggest that maybe you find somone local (or someone that you can at least call or email) that has hands on actual experience with the S-197 mustangs for you to take advice from. These cars are quite a bit different other cars and have their own unique quirks. These cars behave VERY differently than many others do to certain mods, including even the last generation of Mustangs!

Otherwise, welcome to the Mustang community!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 PM
dave_17_hooya

ya i messed up when i put 70 mm it is only for the v6. and ya my mom got it for me but im helping pay as much as i can, hence the two jobs, and i wont get anythign that voids the warrenty cuz that would be total fail if something happened. so ya i think ima get the CAI, the tuner, and flowmasters. and why are the 3.73 better than the 4.10 for my car? like why does the tranny make any differene. just wondering. my car is just a stock 2007 gt. its gray, the color code is t8, haha idk why i remember that. it has 20 inch razor shelby rims. and other than that it is just ur standard 07 gt. but its auto. but ya i read all about the TB and im not gunna get it. it seems like a disaster waiting to happen and a waste of money. and as far as my mom knowin about me modding it, she does and she is fine with it as long as i dont void anything or mess up the car. cuz we dont have money to be throwing around to get it fixed. thanks GT Bob, ill read the stuff on howstuffworks.com and to dirtydeedsinc like i said ill make sure i dont void anything. thanks guys this is really helping, if anyone can add anything else just keep the info coming!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

That's how you learn, asking questions and doing research. You'll be a gear head in no time.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM
dave_17_hooya

gear head=totally awesome!