Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Whining Gears? Noisy Driveshaft? What Do You Think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 AM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default Whining Gears? Noisy Driveshaft? What Do You Think?

A couple weeks ago I just got FRPP 3.73 Gears installed along with a 1 piece aluminum driveshaftby Evolution Performance.

Since day 1 when I drove my car home, I have heard, what I would describe as a whirring or whining or whirling sound. It sounds like I'm driving a futuristic ride, haha...either that or a truck at times.

I notice it everytime I accelerate. I haven't gone WOT YET because I'm afraid of the 400-500 mile break-in-period.

Anyway, am I experiencing gear whine OR is that my driveshaft making this sound?

I especially notice it around 40 MPH or higher OR when driving in reverse.

I don't particularly like the sound but will deal with it as long as it's not damaging anything.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Whining Gears? Noisy Driveshaft? What Do You Think?

Mike, that sounds like gear whine to me, especially since you say it started immediately after the install. I don't think it's as likely to be the driveshaft because you say the noise is also when you're in reverse. (And I assume you're not going 40 MPH in reverse!) If you haven't put many miles on the gears yet, they should be able to re-do the setup to quiet the gears down.

Sleeper2
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 AM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

I drive about 5 MPH while travelling in reverse. I only drive crazy going forward not backwards, hahaha.

I have driven my car about 250 miles since the gears were installed.

I ONLY hear the whining when I accelerate or gently press the gas pedal down.

I will have to call the shop. I hope it won't take all day to fix this situation.

Do you think damage is occurring everytime I drive my car?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:32 AM
rogerw4

If it was the drive shaft it would be a ballance problem (vibration) . U joints would squeek or also
cause a vibration. I would say its is the rearend gear noise
Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Return to shop post haste! Gears and DS should not whine AT ALL. If they do it is because:

[ol][*]The gears we not installed to proper tolerances (most likely)[*]The pinion angle is set incorrectly.[*]The driveshaft is not balanced (less likely but sometimes this can be fixed by 'indexing' (pulling the bolts and remounting it 90 or 180 degrees out.)).[/ol]
My understanding is that ATs can be boogers with some of the aftermarket driveshafts as well.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:15 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

The whine you describe is definately gear whine, and not the driveshaft. I would bet anythign your contact pattern looks bad. The gear set is lined up where itcontactsfullyon the accel side, however, the coast side of the gear is off really bad. are you sure the gears are ACTUALLY FRPP? how muchthey werewill help you with that. If you have the box check the part number; If it ends in A your gear set is good and the install sucked. I ordered the motives and they really sucked. I had them installed at my dealership by a very good rear-end man and they whined. I ripped those out and put a good Ford 4.10OEM gear set straight our of out parts department and it is silent!!! Check on the part number first; if it ends in M, its probably the gear choice. If its the A i would go after the installer. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:59 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

The Gears Installed are:

Ford Racing - Ford 8.8" 3.73 Gears
$175.00
Ford Racing ring and pinion sets are engineered, manufactured, and tested for maximum performance. These ring and pinion sets are finished in a black oxide coating for corrosion resistance.[/align]
Model: M-4209-F373N[/align][/align]The shop gave me the white Ford Racing box with my old stock gears in them.[/align][/align]So it's the gears OR the installer?[/align]
Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Everytime I drive my car it sounds like I'm driving a time machine or maybe a Deloreanfrom Back to the Future, haha.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Bad install. Take it back before the damage to the gears is irreversable (bad wear pattern).
Old 11-12-2007, 04:44 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

I would take it back and explain the problem to them. its not that bad to pull it back out just to make sure the gear is lined in right. Motive actually makes rear end gears for Ford, they are just cheaper (Price and quality). That is a part number i am unfamiliar with, but i know it is list on thier site. I am gonna say that is the motive set that is sold through ford Via the [M]-4209-F373N. You just need to take it too them and hope they help. In my case i know the install was good, but the gear was designed for the strip, where they dont care if it whines because they tear down and rebuild so much.

Quick Reply: Whining Gears? Noisy Driveshaft? What Do You Think?