Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

new GT 08 ,manual or auto trans ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 PM
ickthus

Default new GT 08 ,manual or auto trans ?

how does the auto trans hold up in the GT Prem.300hp .can it take a dogin and keep on walking?i use to love to drivea carburated V8s to shift an auto trans. kicking in jets and droping the trans down. been driving a stick in my truck for years now. intown driving with the stick is getting old , but don't want to give any rubber burning, jumping out of the hole or aquick hook up. i'm not going to race . just make the standard mods and have fun driving. i'm going to buy before x-mass.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: new GT 08 ,manual or auto trans ?

everyone (or at least most) will say manual and i agree since i love manuals. however, if your application doesnt call for it, dont get it then. manuals do have more rwhp over autos though
Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

WRONG: Everyone wont say manual.
I say buy what you want. I have owned 7 Mustangs since my first 1967 K code. I have owned 4 manuals and 3 autos.
I have the automatic in my 2006and I love it but my car is supercharged and my transmission has been highly modified by Level 10.
The automatic is down a few horses from the manual but if you buy a tuner and a CAI and get a good tune you willeasily compete with or beat the manual.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

+1 - get whatever floats your boat. I perfer manual but I don't drive in traffic much. In hanging out on this forum and talking with folks I believe the auto is pretty stout and more than up to the challenge of a N/A car, its doubtful you'd need anything other than stock unless you move up to forced induction - and even then lots of guys are still stock tranny.

Love your sig line!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I love my manual. Just feels like you have more communication with the road. But if you're driving in traffic often, consider the auto. But I recommend manual.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Just for the fun factor alone, GET THE STICK...
Old 11-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

I love mine,although ive regretted getting it because driving for 30 mins in rushour is a PITA sometimes, and some mornings i just dont wanna drive a 5 speed at 5:00 in the morning. But i LOVE being able to bang gears and dump the clutch, isnt that what muscle cars are all about! -Jon
Old 12-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Yonco

I love mine,although ive regretted getting it because driving for 30 mins in rushour is a PITA sometimes, and some mornings i just dont wanna drive a 5 speed at 5:00 in the morning. But i LOVE being able to bang gears and dump the clutch, isnt that what muscle cars are all about! -Jon
so true!
I plan on getting the auto but want still want the manual..it just feels better to drive lol
Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

If you're buying yourself a v-8 sports car, and you know how to drive a stick, you get the manual transmission. I never even considered the auto.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Get whatever meets your needs and wants. I've owned both and I really enjoy the new auto's. It has held up to my current powers levels (see sig) and is a blast to drive. Will I have to upgade....sure but so far it has worked well. If you do go the auto route, I highly recommend that CAI/Tune as it really improves the car a ton.

Quick Reply: new GT 08 ,manual or auto trans ?