Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Advise on Pypes mid-muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 AM
tristang

Default Advise on Pypes mid-muffler

Hi all. I'm a newbie, but I've done a lot of research on the forums. I'm going to order the Pypes mid-muffler system purely for the asthetics. I don't have a CAI, just the K & N reusable filter. Do I need to buy a tune once I install the Pypes? Does anyone know if the MPG will go down a lot? It's my daily drive in CA. Mostly stop & go city miles. I currently average 12-14 MPG. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 AM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Advise on Pypes mid-muffler

No you won't need a tune.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:47 PM
tristang

Thanks. Now I just have to crawl under the car to see if I have to order the stainless steel hanger kit along with the Pypes.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

I have them with Cervini's side exit exhaust. With the Stock Catted H pipe they sound really nice. I had the Pypes ORH and they were so loud I couldn't take it.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:39 PM
tristang

Thanks for the reply. I just went to the Cervini's website. That C-300 package is so sick, I want to through up on myself!!!! Any pics? I bet she's a sweet ride.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

No tune is needed & your gas milage won't change. I did have sone issue with the hangers on the pass side rear pipe, you might have to heat/bend the hanger rods slightly to get the tips lined up properly.
Also, if you're not using a lift to install, you'll need to unbolt the rear shocks @ bottom end,jack the car up a bit more to get the stock over-axle pipe off. Tight fit on the muffler to tank clearance.
They sound good with the stock H-pipe & cats. I've got a video of mine here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fANDdIp2GjY
I'll be installing long tubes here in a few weeks on mine.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
tristang

thanks aircare. i already watched your vids a dozen times. luv them. any and all tips for the install are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 AM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Use of a lift is highly suggested. you won't have to heat bend the pipe at all you just have to muscle it in a little. Use of a lift will prevent you from having to remove any of the shocks as suggested earlier. Its pretty easy and you won't have to order any other hardware just useyour existing hardware.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:42 PM
thunderstang

I got BBK shorty headers into a Pypes X pipe with cats, and Pypes M80 mid muffler pipes. I found that the clamps Pypes sent were junk I had all kinds of exhaust leaks which I cant stand. I ended up getting the whole system welded and 3 1/2" tips from the axle back. Looks and sound way better than the cheep 4" tips they give you. Enjoy the sound of your pony.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
tristang

Thanks for the advise. I'll try it out w/ their stuff. If it doesn't workout, I'll call a few muffler shops for quotes. How much did the welding and the new tips cost (if you don't mind)? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Advise on Pypes mid-muffler