Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

longtubes and muffler deletes

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 PM
jonnystang08
1st Gear Member

Default longtubes and muffler deletes

Kind of a 2 part exhaust question...

first being:

I like the sounds of the SLP Loudmouths BUT....why bother with that? isn't it a muffler delete? So wouldn't it be just the same if we cut out mufflers and just weld in a nice pair of stainless tips? and if i go with a muffler delete...will a tune be necessary?

then there's my secondary question:

longtube headers.....i have no plans for FI unless i win the lotto or pay off the car...will longtubes beneficial? for sound? power? If i go with longtubes....will a custom tune be good enough? or do i have to get my future stang dyno-tuned?

Other then exhaust CAI and tune....i prob will only mod the cams, throttle body, and coil on packs.
Ok so my exhaust questions have questions with in them....hehehe sorry! maybe....

thanks again guys for all the help you have given me!

Jonnystang08
Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: longtubes and muffler deletes

First I dont think it would be the same as far a backpressure differences with a muffler (though loud not a true delete) and removing the muffler all together. The SLP's will change the sound and affect backpressure differently vs. no mufflers at all!

Second LT's will help w/ breathability esp when changing those CAMs as you will breather easier. A custom tune should be fine butI always prefer a dyno tune over a canned tune and make sure you include all mods for the person making the canned tune if you get one from one of our sponsors or any by mail for that matter....JMO J

ORIGINAL: jonnystang08

Kind of a 2 part exhaust question...

first being:

I like the sounds of the SLP Loudmouths BUT....why bother with that? isn't it a muffler delete? So wouldn't it be just the same if we cut out mufflers and just weld in a nice pair of stainless tips? and if i go with a muffler delete...will a tune be necessary?

then there's my secondary question:

longtube headers.....i have no plans for FI unless i win the lotto or pay off the car...will longtubes beneficial? for sound? power? If i go with longtubes....will a custom tune be good enough? or do i have to get my future stang dyno-tuned?

Other then exhaust CAI and tune....i prob will only mod the cams, throttle body, and coil on packs.
Ok so my exhaust questions have questions with in them....hehehe sorry! maybe....

thanks again guys for all the help you have given me!

Jonnystang08
Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM
JB_Sonic_197
1st Gear Member

LT's are not worth the money! Trust me I have a set on my car. $1400 plus installation, 20 hp gain, don't forget an hour or so on a dyno...more money, plus a new tune, more money...

Forget the throttle body too, it aint worth the money.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: JB_Sonic_197

LT's are not worth the money! Trust me I have a set on my car. $1400 plus installation, 20 hp gain, don't forget an hour or so on a dyno...more money, plus a new tune, more money...

I will have to totally disagree with that. You dont need a TB, nor a dyno tune for the LTs. Brent or Doug or any of the other tuners can write a tune for the LTs. A dyno tune would be best but you do not need it. Yes they are expensive and for a NA car 15 HP is probably about it, but I would take that HP and torq. I would do some other mods first but to just flat out say they are not worth it is a false statement IMO.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I will have to totally disagree with that. You dont need a TB, nor a dyno tune for the LTs. Brent or Doug or any of the other tuners can write a tune for the LTs. A dyno tune would be best but you do not need it. Yes they are expensive and for a NA car 15 HP is probably about it, but I would take that HP and torq. I would do some other mods first but to just flat out say they are not worth it is a false statement IMO.
Well what about putting LT's on a 07 GT at the same time of addinga Whipple HO.(Kooks with Hi Flo catts andX Pipe) will that be good to do or make no difference with the SC???? ON a Stock motor<<<
Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TASSY5

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Well what about putting LT's on a 07 GT at the same time of addinga Whipple HO.(Kooks with Hi Flo catts andX Pipe) will that be good to do or make no difference with the SC???? ON a Stock motor<<<
this should be fine on a stock motor. as long as the boost is 10 psi or less. others on here run the whipple HO w/ stock internals and seems to be fine. and the Kooks system + whipple HO is a great combo. with NA and LT's w/ x-pipe u can see 15hp gain, w/ SC and the same exhaust you could see 25-30 hp gain from the exhaust. more air going in and going out.