Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Mushy cornering

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 AM
oldguy05gt

Default Mushy cornering

I recently got an '05 GT and added a V2 S-Trim Vortec. After driving it a couple of weeks,am really starting to noticefront end mushyness. It's like when you have to pull out of a strip-mall driveway across two lanes of traffic with a center divider coming at you and get over into the other two lanes where you belong. The front end just kind of mushes down and makes me over-correct and not hit the pedal as hard asI'd like, i.e., I have to wait to accelerate. Okay, so I figure Ineed some kind of struts and maybe a brace or two - because this is a move in traffic I'll be making all the time.

There is so much junk out there, I haven't a clue what to get for the Mustang; this oneis my first. Last car ('89 SHO) hadstruts and strut tower braces.. I recall Tokiko and Eibach as part of thepackage, which would have been more than 7 years ago at installation. A gear salesman I met wants me to go all Granatelli Motor Sports with braces, panhard rodetc.

There are two places close to here where they have 1/8 mile drags on a regular basis, and he says the front end suspension is key to getting low et's and good speeds. But hey.. what do I know? Last time I raced it was hold on to the steering wheel and pull hard right as soon as I was in third due to scary torque steer, just to stay on my own side

Any info and suggestions on quality stuff and real life vs what wouldn't really be needed would be appreciated. Car is a daily driver with occasional trip to the short strips planned.
Thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mushy cornering

I haven't gone with any Granatelli stuff, but I've heard lots of bad reviews about their products. BMR, Steeda, Spohn, and Griggs are highly ranked companies (with Steeda and Griggs at the top of the list). Also, if you currently have no suspension upgrades, the rear end is the place to start, especially with your power adder. I would take everything that guy has to say with a grain of salt.