Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Non Intercooled Whipple Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Default Non Intercooled Whipple Question

First off, i'm years from buying a blower but all these supercharger questions today got me to thinking.

Since the non-IC whipple doesnt have any fuel pump upgrades or an intercooler, how big a job is it to install? 5-6 hours probably? Bout the same intensity as chaning the delete plates and underdrive pulleys basically?

Does anyone have this kit? I used search but found nothing on it. I'd like to know how much HP you can get from it. I wouldnt want anymore than 400-430. This is my daily driver and I plan on keeping it a very long time.

I wasnt planning on doing this until the cars paid off in 4 years so who knows what will really happen between now and then. Thanks guys!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:40 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Non Intercooled Whipple Question

Non-Intercooled Kenne Bell people chime in too. I'm comparing the two units right now.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

both non-intercooled kits would
be a breaze to install yourself.

if you really only want 380-400rwhp, then
going NON-IC, would certainly fit your needs.

there are 2-3 members, who have the whipple
non-ic kit.

i don't know of anyone tho, who
installed a KB non-ic kit.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Corect me if I'm wrong but you also could skip a clutch upgrade and gauges right? Just put the kit on and go?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:39 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

I installed the KB non intercooled kit myself . It took me three 8 hour days in my driveway and was not really to technically involved but moving everything around and rewiring was tedious. The manual was excellent (2 inches thick).You will install a KB boost A pump and also install the KB true cold air kit which get its air from under the front passenger side bumper. The cold air kit was the main reason I bought this kit . Car runs perfect and I have no issues what so ever . Only things I bought extra were HTO plugs and some antifreeze. I get 24 mpg highway and 19.4 around town running 93 octane at 6 psi running 373 gears.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

That sounds like a pretty good deal. I assume the whipple would be faster since theres no cold air to run or BAP. The KB is a bit cheaper though, and if I'm not mistaken has the capability to be upgraded easier and cheaper than the whipple. Choices choices.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I did alot of research and it is really a coin flip.

If you wanted 375rwhp I think the non-int whipple would be good for for DD duty I would reccomend lowering the boost on the HO.

Like you I started with this blower as my choice but the more research I did the more it appeared the HO was the right route. Having an intercooler is great especially if you live someplace hot, I live in FL. Cooler air temps will make more power and be safer no matter what.

I had planned on running 8psi with a whipple HO (some family business came up) and it should make right around 425rwhp very safely for only about $1200 more. Worth it to me plus I would say at least get an A/F gauge and boost gauge. A/F for safety and boost just to see your hard earned cash at work.

good luck,

Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

i have the non ic whipple and i love it, it is a big difference from stock i had it professionally installed it took them about 8-9 hours. i have the stock clutch and i dont have any gauges [i will eventually] i havent had it dyno'd yet but i hope to soon
Old 12-10-2007, 04:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fadetoblack172

i have the non ic whipple and i love it, it is a big difference from stock i had it professionally installed it took them about 8-9 hours. i have the stock clutch and i dont have any gauges [i will eventually] i havent had it dyno'd yet but i hope to soon
I would get atleast a boost gauge. Mechanical boost gauge is very easy to install and it will tell you if you are making full boost.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

If you can try to get a Intercooled kit as engines usually give out when cause of the high temps. Just spend a little more for the intercooled kit. I personally think a 10 psi intercooled kit in hot weather would be better than 7 psi with no intercooler.

Quick Reply: Non Intercooled Whipple Question