Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

keep the 4.10's or switch to 3.73's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Default keep the 4.10's or switch to 3.73's?

Hi everyone, first post here. I have a 2008 GT/CS with a five speed. I have an Airaid CAI with a BrenSpeed Tune, FRPP Axel-backs and a Hurst Short throw shifter with FRPP 4.10M gears.

I have searched allot and read a bunch of different opinions on gear wine.

I had my 4.10 gears installed at the dealership and after the install they wined under light acceleration and coast. I took it back and they checked the pattern and said that they were fine and that 4.10's just wine.

A week later I took my car to a Mustang performance shop and told them the problem and ask them to see if they could adjust the setup to get rid of the gear wine. After they adjusted it, it was better, but still wines on light acceleration from 45 to 70+, with 65 mph being the worst.

I love the acceleration but find the gear wine at freeway speeds 60-70 mph annoying and I drive on the freeway at that speed allot.

The Mustang performance shop told me that the FRPP gears that I bought from Ford were actually made by Motive (4.10M) that’s what the "M" stands for and that Motive gears are known to wine. Also, they told me that Ford doesn’t make the 4.10A gears anymore. I ask them if there was any gear that they could install that wouldn’t wine and they said that if they installed FRPP 3.73’s that there wouldn't be any gear-wine.

So my question is, does this sound correct? And if so, how much difference do you think I will notice in acceleration whenstepping downfrom4.10’s to3.73’s?

I don't race my car, but I do like the feel of the acceleration provided by the 4.10 gears. But the car is new and I can't help but feel that I have some how "cheapened my car" with the 4.10 gears since it wines now when it didn't before.

Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated and would help me to make a decision as to what I should do. Spend the extra money and have them install the 3.73's and hope that they don't wine, or just keep the 4.10's and see if I can live with the wine.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Stangbanger3v
1st Gear Member

Default RE: keep the 4.10's or switch to 3.73's?

i say try to live with the whine if u plan on modding the car which these s197s have a problem with addicting ppl to mods... if u dont plan on ne more mods then switch to the 3.73 and remember we can only give u insight do what will make u happy because in the end u will be paying and driving it not us hope i helped
Old 12-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I think what they should have told you is 4.10s whine more than 3.73s or 3.55s. You can't take it as a given that all 4.10s whine or even just the ones made by Motive. There are many folks on here running 4.10s and I suspect lots of them are the FRPP's by Motive. Some guys say they whine, some say they don't.

My personal experience was they had to take the rear apart4 times(they kept the car) to get it to stop but now I am about 95% whine free. The guys at my shop said they had never had such a problem before. They kept trying different settings (sorry, dont' know the technical details) and finally hit pay dirt by setting the pinion slightly deeper or more shallow (forgot which) than spec.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. How do you guy's deal with the wine? Do you think of it as a negativein that the gears wine due to inferior parts/installation, or do you look at it as a positive in that you have gear wine due to the fact that you have "racing gears" installed in your car?

Does anyone ever ride in your car and think that something is wrong with it when they hear the wining noise? My car is brand new and I don’t want people to think that there is something wrong with it because the rear end wines.

Also, will I notice a big difference if I do change the 4.10's out for the 3.73's?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I had 4.10's and switched to 3.73's not because of Gear Whine, but rather because of the type of driving I do. With the current gas prices it turned out to be a good move on my part. BTW both of my installs were with bonafide FRPP NOT Motives. As far as acceleration goes it's not all that bad, see below.....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=100_0381.flv
Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bkmagby

Thanks guys. How do you guy's deal with the wine? Do you think of it as a negativein that the gears wine due to inferior parts/installation, or do you look at it as a positive in that you have gear wine due to the fact that you have "racing gears" installed in your car?

Does anyone ever ride in your car and think that something is wrong with it when they hear the wining noise? My car is brand new and I don’t want people to think that there is something wrong with it because the rear end wines.

Also, will I notice a big difference if I do change the 4.10's out for the 3.73's?
The way you deal with whine: Insist the original installer do it correctly. Correctly installed gears do not whine. Period.

Some shops will try the 'ol "Motive gears whine" crap. They don't. The 'M' gears are just a bit harder to set up properly because they don't use the same settings as the stock gears (and the 'A' gears) do.

Plenty of guys on this board have successfully installed both with no whine. Going to 3.73s will not solve your noise problem (especially if you have the same guys do it).
Old 12-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

+1
Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone. Well, I found a great shop that gave me a written grantee that my gears would not howl or wine if they installed them. They also do allot of business with the dealership that I purchased my 4.10M gears from and were able to return my 4.10M's and install 4.10A's (at my request) at no charge for the parts. They did a complete new install with the 4.10A's and now there is absolutely no howl or wine. It's just like the factory gears, but with greatly improved acceleration. The shop, for anyone looking in the Houston area, is Fastlane. They were very friendly and very professional and do great work. I can't thank them enough.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bkmagby

Thanks everyone. Well, I found a great shop that gave me a written grantee that my gears would not howl or wine if they installed them. They also do allot of business with the dealership that I purchased my 4.10M gears from and were able to return my 4.10M's and install 4.10A's (at my request) at no charge for the parts. They did a complete new install with the 4.10A's and now there is absolutely no howl or wine. It's just like the factory gears, but with greatly improved acceleration. The shop, for anyone looking in the Houston area, is Fastlane. They were very friendly and very professional and do great work. I can't thank them enough.
I love happy endings
Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

It is nice to hear good news once in a while!

Sleeper2

Quick Reply: keep the 4.10's or switch to 3.73's?