Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

auto driving habits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: auto driving habits?

ORIGINAL: killbee

Just get the SCT XCal w/the Bama tune and you'll never shift for yourself again. I run the 93 performance tune all the time and it catches rubber thru the 1st three shifts. I have tried shifing myself and the tuned shifts are alot crisper and quicker.
quicker then those f1 system shifters???

Old 12-24-2007, 08:55 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I had manual transmissions all the way up until I met my Wife. It has not been a problem since then as I have been driving larger, four door sedans and trucks up until I purchased my mustang.

Then I wanted a Mustang. I got the “no auto no Mustang” line so opted for the automatic transmission. I have to say I was very disappointed with the cars performance at first, while it did have decent power and acceleration, it was clear the tune was running in Granny mode and the car was performing nowhere near its potential. A good friend of mine has a stick; if I had ridden in both with my eyes closed I would have told you they were two different cars.

Then I discovered the CAI Tune.

I am running Doug’s 93 race tune. I was fortunate enough to meet him and his portable Dyno in Oklahoma last year. Since then Doug has sent me several tweaks. I have had the adaptive learning feature disabled, have my torque converter locking at 40MPH in second gear, and have made tweaks to the OD settings so the car no longer shifts into OD unless I’m doing at least 55MPH. Combined with the new shift points, my car drives exactly like I would drive a stick with the exception that I never miss a shift and am not bothered in traffic. I gave my friend with a manual a ride, and he was shocked with how hard the car pulled and how quickly it shifted. His exact words were “holy chit”.

As for controlling the auto, this is something I learned to do a long time ago. Auto’s do not drive you, if you know your cars shifting schedule well you can easily force a shift or delay one by utilizing your gas pedal. Then you have the selector in case you want to force a lower gear (I no longer do this since getting the tune). I have had the occasional “you got an automatic mustang” line from friends or coworkers, but a quick drive shuts them up real fast when she barks the tires shifting into 3’rd around 60MPH!

In short, I love my Mustang, I love the automatic transmission, and I would not trade it for a manual under any circumstances. Once I get her blown I am sure I will come to appreciate the transmission even more. Not to mention my ’67 GTA badges would not work on a manual!

Tim
Old 12-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

^^
noice!

thanks for the short write up..I was just going to ask the same question about shift points/tune and it's effects on the performance with the auto.I kinda understood it before but now I have a much better understanding.
thanks.

other then the deep tranny fluid pan,tranny cooler - any other mods to keep up the tranny with higher hp?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

ps
what kind of times would you expect a cai/tune,torque converter,4:10s and street tires on the 1/4 mile? low 13s?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:02 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thief_of_Hearts

^^
nice!

thanks for the short write up..I was just going to ask the same question about shift points/tune and it's effects on the performance with the auto.I kinda understood it before but now I have a much better understanding.
thanks.

other then the deep tranny fluid pan,tranny cooler - any other mods to keep up the tranny with higher hp?
You don't really need any of those things. These transmissions are good for way more horsepower then a tune can throw at it. No further modifications required!

Tim

Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I keep it in drive all the time, maybe when TCI releases the ratchet style shifter, I play with the OD alot, cruising and want to pass someone just turn off the OD, drops it into 4th, then put it back on, it does save mpg but sucks when needing power to get pass some idiot !! lol 1/4 mile racing TCS and OD are both off, I do not suggest this if you are running street tires, I have drag radials.

A little tip

Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 PM
NOMOREAIRPLANES

i'm actually picking up my first mustang saturday, and i'm completely smitten. .. only problem is that it's a manual and this is going to be my first manual car. i'm kinda nervous sorta.. but hoping that owning a manual car will kinda "force" myself to learn.

excited as hell nonetheless
Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: NOMOREAIRPLANES

i'm actually picking up my first mustang saturday, and i'm completely smitten. .. only problem is that it's a manual and this is going to be my first manual car. i'm kinda nervous sorta.. but hoping that owning a manual car will kinda "force" myself to learn.

excited as hell nonetheless
noice.don't worry too much 1st gear is the only hill to climb,
once you get used to it you are gonna really love that 5 speed lol.

One of the main reasons for me getting an auto is to keep me out of trouble ..[:'(][:'(][:'(]
with a 5 speed,I really doubt I'd be able to contain myself lol.