Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Trading V6 for 08 GT... Already a problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Trading V6 for 08 GT... Already a problem

I'm surprised no one else knew this but the power steering pumps on our carsare also computer controled. The computer adjusts it as speed increases or decreases so at high speed someone does not over correct and cause themselves to spin out of control. AKA Speed Sensitive steering.

We had this issue on a few Crown Vics at a work and all the dealership needed to do was reflash/update the computer that controls it.

As far as the smell, new cars have all sorts of labels, greases, oils, films and other nasty stuff covering various parts of the car.

I wouldn't stress about these items untilthey continue to happen.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

I bought a 98 Gran Prix and with about 300 miles on it theserpintine belt blew apart but only about half of it. A cop came along and I borrowed a knife from him and cut off the bad section there was just enough belt left to get me home. I went and bought a new belt seeing it was the weekend and put it on. I was looking at the belt when the car was running and it looked like it was riding up on the crank pulley in one spot. Sure enough the crank pulley looked like it had been dropped and the grooves were pushed together in the spot where it was dropped. The dealer had to replace the whole harmonic balancer because the pulley was part of it. They also had to replace the hood liner because the belt wrecked it when it broke. They had to order the parts andIhad the car back by the end of the week. At least they gave me a loner to drive.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

The belt came off. That's why you smelled rubber, it was the smell of the belt burning against the crank pulley, or possibly even the exhaust, depending on how it flew off.

That's also the reason you lost the power steering.

Trust me - this is a MINOR issue. Definitely nothing to be going and getting a "new car" over. Could have just been a bad belt, or wan't put on all the way, or blah blah blah.. Either way, a belt is like $60 or so, depending. But the dealer will fix it, make sure all the pullies are lined up, and you'll be fine.
Hit the nail on the head here. Your talking about something that is so completely a Non-issue as tho it's the end of the earth. I am guessing that the service department was closed otherwise any Mechanic woulda had you back up and running in less than 15 minutes, including the smoke break he took between getting the belt and putting it on. The water pump and a couple of the idler pulleys are rib-less and the smooth "back" of the belt rides on them. So, if the belt was put on in a hurry, or maybe the assembler slipped and thought he had it on right enough that it would straighten out... in any case, it takes surprisingly little to make a belt fall off.

Take a deep breath, smile, pick up the car and breath deeply in it's new car smell...

...and welcome to the GT club
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TTSRACINGWORLD

I went Saturday to pickup my new 08 GT and Itook the wife for a ride before we went in to sign the papers. I took it about 2 miles out and started to turn around to go back went all of a sudden I lost the power steering. I started to go from a stop sign and I stalled it. Then there was a bad rubber smell and I started it back up. When I was driving it back , the steering was ok over 30, but when I would stop for a turn I was hard to turn. When we got back to the dealer I told the salesman and he felt the same. So, my new car never made it home and is now in the shop. The one thing I didn't do is sign for the car incase they call me on Monday and say they have to order parts. If that happens, then I will tell them to get me another one. Anyone ever hear of that?
By the way, It's an 08 GT Black with leather int. and a 5 speed man. I'm trading my 06 V6 Pony Package with Roush nose, hoodscoop, racing stripes, GT rear bumper and Magna Flow Exh.
Sounds like the belt slipped off. It's not difficult to steer a vehicle without power steering if it's traveling up to speed, only when it is traveling slowly. Get them to replace the belt and check the pullies for alignment. It's a fluke. The car should be fine.

*EDIT* Just noticed that someone else already posted this. I should learn to read the whole thread.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 AM
TTSRACINGWORLD
2nd Gear Member

The belt didn't come off. The shift in the pump broke. Also now the wife has shoot down signing for the car so now someone else will get a car with being repaired without knowing. I'm going to try for another one at the end of the year. I have to see where me and the wife stand as far as our marrage. It's not because of the car. this was happening long before and we were trying to work things out but things are getting worst.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Vegasfilter
3rd Gear Member

if you havent signed a contract for the vehicle, dont accept it..ask for another....if you did sign for it, and the contract is done, i think your at their mercy. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:06 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure the car wouldn' t help matters with your wife. Your right forget about it for now somethings happen for a reason, GOOD LUCK.

The belt didn't come off. The shift in the pump broke. Also now the wife has shoot down signing for the car so now someone else will get a car with being repaired without knowing. I'm going to try for another one at the end of the year. I have to see where me and the wife stand as far as our marrage. It's not because of the car. this was happening long before and we were trying to work things out but things are getting worst.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the W.I.F.E.

I'm recentlysingle myself, but it was a long time coming, so it was no surprise. Just strange getting used to a quiet house.. No nagging..
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Well, this thread sure took a turn.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

Well, this thread sure took a turn.
Ill say so.

TTSRACINGWORLD If ya need a drink bro, I'm here for ya, been down that road, and I'm only 20 minutes down your road. If I was still married I wouldn't have a Mustang, lol.

Quick Reply: Trading V6 for 08 GT... Already a problem