Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

turbos???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: turbos???

ORIGINAL: Pwny

The STS kit is so expensive.
Do your homework before you make a comment like that.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: breathegood

ORIGINAL: Simon1

I ordered the twin kit just over a week ago. There are a handfull of Mustangs around here that have the single kit, and concensus seems to be that they all eventuallywish they had gone with the twin, so I bit the bullet and started with the twin. I got a bit of a special deal through another club I belong too. $8500 shipped (was quoted $9014 direct from Freddy at STS). That includes all the piping, intercooler, BOV, injectors, tuner, goost gauge, boost controller, everything. When you consider the additional cost of intercooler and otheraccessories that go with the single kit, the twin is not that muchmore expensive, and has a higher potential to make big numbers down the road. I'm toldI got theend of 2007 pricing, but you could probably find a dealer willing to give you a similar deal.The charge showed up on my plastic two days ago. I assume that means it's been shipped or will be shipped soon and will hopefully show up within the next week. I'd like to have it installed by the end of January. I intend to install it myself over a weekend and take it to a dyno tuner to get the most out of it. I'm still debating on whether or not to add long tubes and x-pipe. The tuner that I've been in contact with is recomending it, but I will start with the turbos and see where it goes from there.
I have a Y pipe for mine but I only havesingle.

Something you will want to look around for is some exhaust tips. The tips they provide are cheesy at best but function just fine. My installer purchased two Magnaflow chrome tips ($72 for both) and put them on.

The LT's may or may not fit. They provide a secondary oil pump to push oil to the turbos. It mounts right next to the steering shafts, under the headers. I have JBA shorties and it fits okay but with the LT's you might have issues.

Shoot me a PM if you have more questions.
Thanks Simon. I'm pretty excited about the setup. The car's first oil change will include a F/I upgrade. I plan on running quality oil, and I know the STS turbos will run cooler than an underhood setup, but I can't help but wonder if an oil cooler might not be a bad idea. How much extra oil am I going to have to use? That's a lot of new pluming to fill with lube.
The way the lines run under the car it's sort of built in to the system already. The pressurized line (from the oil pump)is steel braided and the return line is a heavy duty rubber type that can withstand 200-300 psi. You really don't want the oil cooledtoo much as it runs towards the turbo. Turbos work off of heat and will run better when hot. You will notice this after driving your car for a while.You may let the engine sit andwarm up but until you runthe car and putsome boost through the turbo, it's not truly warmed up.

There is alot of stuff included in the kit that is not listed on the website. So be ready. I predict multiple weekends unless you are an awesomemechanic.

You say the car's first oil change will include a F/I upgrade. Please explain. Fuel injector? Fuel injection? If you wanted room to grow I would probably get 60 lbs injectors. I should have and didn't so later I will need to buy injectors all over again.

It holds about another quart of oil. I have only put 2,000 miles on mine since I got it.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

STS is a great system, just make sure you understand the placement of the turbos. In the some climates, they can ruin the housings very easily, especially if you live anywhere with lots of water, or snow (sand and salt) will just run the turbo's show.

If I were to get this system, i'd have to make sure that I find a cover or something to cover those turbos as I live in Ontario, and would not want them exposed.

But its a fantastic system, and No, its not expensive at all.

If you want quality you have to pay for it. and quality does not just come from how much power...from ease of install, to longevity of the parts, service from the supplier afterwards, etc.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

The way the lines run under the car it's sort of built in to the system already. The pressurized line (from the oil pump)is steel braided and the return line is a heavy duty rubber type that can withstand 200-300 psi. You really don't want the oil cooledtoo much as it runs towards the turbo. Turbos work off of heat and will run better when hot. You will notice this after driving your car for a while.You may let the engine sit andwarm up but until you runthe car and putsome boost through the turbo, it's not truly warmed up.

There is alot of stuff included in the kit that is not listed on the website. So be ready. I predict multiple weekends unless you are an awesomemechanic.

You say the car's first oil change will include a F/I upgrade. Please explain. Fuel injector? Fuel injection? If you wanted room to grow I would probably get 60 lbs injectors. I should have and didn't so later I will need to buy injectors all over again.

It holds about another quart of oil. I have only put 2,000 miles on mine since I got it.
What I meant was at the first oil change, I will be going forced induction. I know that what I ordered comes with new injectors, the website says 38#. It will be a while before gomuch bigger, but when I do, I think new injectors will be the easy part of the upgrade. As for the install, I'm pretty good with a wrench and following directions, I have another car to drive, all the tools I need including a big air compressor, a clean garage, and two full days of uniterupted time to work....All the dealers and installers I've talked to say I should be good to go by Monday morning. Besides, working on a car that is brand new and spiffy cleanis a lot easier than working on a car that's seen a few seasons of asphalt.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:56 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

What I meant was at the first oil change, I will be going forced induction. I know that what I ordered comes with new injectors, the website says 38#. It will be a while before gomuch bigger, but when I do, I think new injectors will be the easy part of the upgrade. As for the install, I'm pretty good with a wrench and following directions, I have another car to drive, all the tools I need including a big air compressor, a clean garage, and two full days of uniterupted time to work....All the dealers and installers I've talked to say I should be good to go by Monday morning. Besides, working on a car that is brand new and spiffy cleanis a lot easier than working on a car that's seen a few seasons of asphalt.
Yes, very true.

Let me know if you want a picture of the exhaust tips I got put on mine. After your kit arrives and you see the exhaust tips lack of "bling" you will search for something to put there.

You will have lots of room to grow with the twins. My single is very loud. I listened to a twin a while back and also rode in it, but it's been so long I don't remember the difference in sound.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

I actually did my homework and their price for what you get, is crazy...I got a D1SC w/ tuner, injectors, and dual pumps even after adding a dyno tune I'm sitting right under $5500...is it better than a turbo, no, is my driveability going to be better probably...will I break belts at ahigh PSI, maybe...but the D1SC if I'm not mistaken can put me around the 650 whp mark(with forged internals of course, but any car would need this to reach that kind of power)and what do I have to do to make more, sell the D1SC, which you can easily do and get the F1...thats my $0.02...will his car be bad@$$, definitely!...could he have gotten a setup cheaper that would still fulfill his goals...most likely, but at least he gets to say "I have a twin turbo kit!"...which is cool I have to say......I think the point of what I am saying is to each their own and shopping around isn't stupid by any means and depending on your goals better prices can be had...but my experience with turbos, even though I was even considering one, have problems with reliably street tuning...so I hope you have a great turbo tuner near you...
Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Compaired to what? Add up a twin screw with intercooler, headers, exhaust, and tuneand you're in the same ballpark ($$ and HP).I guess centri'scan bepretty cheap (nothing good is cheap, and nothing cheap is good), but again, add all the supporting mods, and you knock the price tag up into the level of STS. I've seen lots of posts about other turbo setups being superior to STS made by people with no experience with STS, but I haven't seen another turbo kit that includes all the suporting goodies much cheaper.....especially a twin turbo. I decided to go the STSroute to be a little different. After talking with some installers and people who have actually driven an STS modded vehicle, I am confident I made a good decision....I sort of wish STS had their ish together when I was building my Toyota.
I should of been more clear. I meant compared to other turbos. Twin screws w/supporting mods are just as expensive.

I would much rather have an HP, Powerhouse, Granatelli, or Turbohorsepower turbo.

Personal preference I guess.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Apologies. I just did a search and found a STS single kit.

Where did you buy yours?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Apologies. I just did a search and found a STS single kit.

Where did you buy yours?
I got my kit directly through STS.

Turbo and piping (16 psi max)
INtercooler
plugs
injectors
tuner
waste gate
waste gate dump

about $5700

I have the receipt somewhere so I would have to refrence it for specifics.