Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

what gears for turbo'd car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

Default what gears for turbo'd car?

my current power numbers are in the sig. I have the 3.55's in my car on the stock 17" in wheels.eventually I will be getting new wheels but if I keep the same overall height then that does not change my effective gear ratio right? I also am curious as to what gear ratio other turbo cars are running.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what gears for turbo'd car?

Stick with those gears. To high of a gear doesnt put as good of aload on the turbo. Alot of turbo guys recommend 3.27 but I run the 3.31 that came stock with my 07 gt. I think 3.55 is about as high as you want to go from my research.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

I had heard the opposite. dunno, just curious. I am not complaining about my get up and go, don't get me wrong my car hauls and is way faster then I have skills for off the line. I am not afraid to admit that, everyone wants xxx horsepower. how many people can actually say they have it? if they do can they use it? I'm learning every time I drive the car. I get 27-29 MPG highway with the turbo and man does it go on the boost. just curious, not many turbo stang out there.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

With the way a turbo works the gears like 3.55, 3.33, 3.27 are considered to be the best suited for a turbo. A turbo has to be loaded unlike a twin screw. Most people on this forum are supercharger guys therefore I went to some strictly turbo forums and talked to some local guys who run nothing but turbos and they all say the longer gears perform better with turbos. Then some people say 3.73 on a manuel is the best gear so I guess it just depends on who you wanna believe. Here is a link to a discussion.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ht=gears+turbo
Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meekstro

With the way a turbo works the gears like 3.55, 3.33, 3.27 are considered to be the best suited for a turbo. A turbo has to be loaded unlike a twin screw. Most people on this forum are supercharger guys therefore I went to some strictly turbo forums and talked to some local guys who run nothing but turbos and they all say the longer gears perform better with turbos. Then some people say 3.73 on a manuel is the best gear so I guess it just depends on who you wanna believe. Here is a link to a discussion.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ht=gears+turbo
I read the thread and it seems to agree with everythingI have read. I know what you mean about blowing the tires off in 2nd and 3rd sometimes. Fun but frustrating.

I have the 4.10's right now (I got them installed for free under warrunty when I was N/A) and I wish I had 3.55 or 3.73. The loading thing is an issue with us turbo guys. By the time I launch in 1st gear, I barely make it pass the 60' mark before I shift. These tall gears don't give enough load early on compared to what a short gear will give me.

I'm switching to 3.55's or 3.73's in March. I'm also putting in a Detroit locker and calling my rear end done. . .for now.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 AM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

I couldnt imagine having any gear higher than a 3.55 cause when my boost hits in 1st, 2nd I cant evensmash onit inthe street for getting so loose. I usually have to let out cause im getting so sideways or i shift into third but im going like nowhere just spinning and my shift light is flashin like crazy. I have had several people request to get out of my car after a short trip around the block
Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Yes, in general a turbo car will work better with a tall gear. As stated, they like load. It really depends on the engine size, set up , etc. I would say keep the 3.55's in it.

Casey
Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

its not only for the traction portion, but also for the spooling...the more load you can have on the engine, the faster the turbo will spool. This meaning, you want to go with the stock ones...so stay with the ones you got...that will allow to spool the turbo faster and hit that boost earlier.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

Exactly what shooter23 said and with thetallergear you get the advantage of being in a gear longer (basically in the 1/4 your trap speed is gonna be higher) Here is the link I was looking for yesterday. The information on here is endless and turbo specific. Do a search on gears and read for weeks.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php