Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New 08 GT - Blue smoke on start up?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:59 PM
skyflier1971

Default New 08 GT - Blue smoke on start up?!?!

Hello,

I just purchased a 2008 Mustang GT Grabber Orange. The car had 26 miles on it when I bought it.

The car now has about 800 miles on it. I've been very careful with the engine since it's still in the break in period.

But on start up it puffs blue smoke out the tail pipes for a few seconds.

I've owned many new and used cars and every time I've seen blue smoke it's not been a good sign. I've also owned another Mustang
back in 2003, and I never remember it doing this, even during break in.

I am very concerned that some thing is wrong with my new car.

Also, once the engine is running I don't notice it smoking. It just happens on start up.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Should I take it back to the dealer?

Please help,
skyflier1971
Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New 08 GT - Blue smoke on start up?!?!

I am not what to say...my doesnot do that...have you taken to dealer for a quick check?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

tons of people have had this happen with the new mustangs and im quoting this from someone else.

"Well mine does this but only in the winter time or very cold start ups. The explanation I got was that the loop opens for about 3 minutes on our fuel injection systems until it is warmed up and then closes. During this process the car dumps a little more fuel in for an easier start on those cold mornings. If this is true or not I'm not sure, seeing as I'm not a mechanic. The puff of blue smoke only last for about 10 seconds I guess and then its gone and I have never noticed it during running after that initial start up. It has also never done it during the summer time. The smoke is just from that extra bit of fuel being dumped in."

usually everyone says the same thing, when its cold or it has been sitting a day or too, either one can cause it.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Mine does this too, seems to only so it when cold. I first noticed it after i put in synthetic oil but that oil change coincided with cold weather. Seems it may just be a cold weather thing.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM
skyflier1971

Well it was fairly warm when it did this today, about 60 degrees. And it was only sitting for a few hours between start ups.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skyflier1971

Well it was fairly warm when it did this today, about 60 degrees. And it was only sitting for a few hours between start ups.
Was the engine running for at least a few minutes during the previous start up?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 AM
BKTO69

Mine did it when I switched to full synthetic...to be more specific Royal Purple. I spoke with my tuner (JDM)who stated not to use full syn; he had same problem with his racer and daily driver on cold startup and decel. He said dump the oil and go back to what Ford recommends - Motorcraft Sythetic blend 5w-20w with their filter also (it's a very good filter). Once I did this NEVER had problem again. Try this, hopefully it will work for you. And ALWAYS change your oil and filter at 3000 miles. Happy trails!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
skyflier1971

ORIGINAL: ski

Come to think of it, I believe both times I've noticed it do this it had only ran for a short period of time on the last startup. Maybe less than one minute.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I've had it happen with mine as well and it is when I start it up real quick to move and then shut it off. For example, back it out of the garage and then shut it down. The next time I start it I see a brief puff of blue smoke. Normal driving I don't notice it at all.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ski

Come to think of it, I believe both times I've noticed it do this it had only ran for a short period of time on the last startup. Maybe less than one minute.
Theseengineswill do it every time under those conditions. Mine does the same thing. Nothing to worry about. But if you want to prevent it, just run the engine fora few minutes during each start up.

Quick Reply: New 08 GT - Blue smoke on start up?!?!