Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI questions and other compatible mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Default CAI questions and other compatible mods?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and trying to soak up as much info as possible. Let me give you a little background about my car and what I want to accomplish:

2006 GT convertible (Auto)
18" Chrome Foose nitrous rims
Red brake calipers
Just ordered, billet grille inserts and a Cervini's type II chin spoiler, planning on ordering a set of Boom Tubes next week!

So my goal with my car is:

- Increase HP and torque
- Want to be able to runs in the low 12's

I am trying to see if I can manage to spend $5k on a supercharge, from what I have read whipple is the way to go, just not sure if I have the cash....

So in the case that I cannot afford a whipple supercharger, I've been reading and getting the feeling that a CAI and tune is the other way to go. So my questions now:

1. What brand of CAI is favored?
2. I've been reading that the Breensped tunes are the best out there, is that true?
3. I assume they can do a tune for 89, 91 or 93 octane gas? Is there a big difference in the HP gains from the different octane tunes?
4. What type of HP gain am I actually looking at here with a CAI and tune?
5. What other parts and mods should I do that are compatible with a CAI that will give me more HP? Like I said my goal here is to run in the low 12's on the track. So what other parts do I need to do this without a supercharger?

If there is any other good infor or threads that people have bookmarked please pass them on! I have been trying to read and learn as much as I can that way I can make an informed purchase.

Thanks for any help!

Nick
Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI questions and other compatible mods?

Hello Nick welcome to the forum.

Deside before you start buy mod if you going to go IF or NA. Because you may not be able to use some part with a whipple, like CAI or UDP.
1. I like BBK, but JLT or C&L
2. Brenspeed and Bama are the two front runners
3.there not that big of a difference between the tunes
4. around 20
5. Any(udps, LTH.ect) but a Must is gears
6. with all the above and the LCA and good tires

Ryan
Old 02-08-2008, 12:41 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the response. A few more questions now, haha.

1. If I have another $1500 to spend after I put the CAI and tune on there, what would you suggest I get?
2. What does IF mean? I know NA is naturally asperated, but not sure what IF means...
3. What gears are a good choice?
4. What UDP are the ones to go with/
5. What LTH are a good choice?
6. What LCA are reccomended?

7. Would lowering the car be a bad idea? I was thinking about going with the Eibach prokit and then throwing some Tokico D-specs and Camber plates on there. Would that hurt HP in anyway?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 02-08-2008, 12:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blue 05 Mustang

Hello Nick welcome to the forum.

Deside before you start buy mod if you going to go IF or NA. Because you may not be able to use some part with a whipple, like CAI or UDP.
1. I like BBK, but JLT or C&L
2. Brenspeed and Bama are the two front runners
3.there not that big of a difference between the tunes
4. around 20
5. Any(udps, LTH.ect) but a Must is gears
6. with all the above and the LCA and good tires

Ryan
+1
good choice w/ the boomtubes, you're gonna love 'em.
low 12's w/ NA is gonna be a close one, but heres my list of basic bolt on's 101:
1. CAI/tune = 25 hp
2. full exhaust LT's, o/r midpipe, boomtubes =20 hp
3. gears 4.10's cut et's by .2 seconds
4. UDPs and CMCV deletes = 15 hp
5. DR cut et's by .2 sec
6. aluminum DS cut et's by .2

above should get you into mid/high 12's
Old 02-08-2008, 12:49 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i think he meant FI instead of IF, just a typo. forced induction
Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nbd13

1. If I have another $1500 to spend after I put the CAI and tune on there, what would you suggest I get?
2. What does IF mean? I know NA is naturally asperated, but not sure what IF means...

7. Would lowering the car be a bad idea? I was thinking about going with the Eibach prokit and then throwing some Tokico D-specs and Camber plates on there. Would that hurt HP in anyway?

Thanks,

Nick
for the extra 1500, i would say exhaust and gears got w/ FRPP 4.10's if you're staying NA, if your going FI later i would suggest 3.73's. the exhaust will add hp and sound really bada$$
for the UDP's and CMCV deletes, steeda is good
headers: the best are ARH, Kooks, Stainless works, but i like my BBK for 750 i got ceramic coated LT's and o/r x pipe. Mac LT's and prochamber are a good combo as well, pretty cheap and sounds good too.
and LCA idk, i have no experience w/ those. but the suspension mods you want to do should not affect the hp at all
Old 02-08-2008, 02:24 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

Thanks,

Nick
1. I'll get to one at the end
2. I did mean FI
3. 4.10 N/A or 3.73 FI ormaybe 3.55. 450 hp is a lot of power to put down. you will not need to mult you torque that much ($400-$600)
4.I have Steada ($199)
5. I think I am going to go with JBA, I'm getting a good deal on them. ($900-$1500)
6. I've boughtBMR LCA($120)
7. I don't think lower the car would be a bad idea but you will need the Relocation kit for the LCA($135)and adjustable UCA($177)

1. I think we spent more that $1,500 with what is listed hear. Plus there many little mods you'll need to do, but you need an exhaust like pypes mid-mufflers
Old 02-08-2008, 03:09 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Low 12s? Going to have to go with a sc or turbo. You could break into the mid to high 12s with a lot of bolt ons, nitrous, suspension mods.

Good luck on the picks. I wanted to do a lot with mine, but I just don't have the budget. The parts prices really rack up once you get going.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:38 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

1. What brand of CAI is favored?
2. I've been reading that the Breensped tunes are the best out there, is that true?
3. I assume they can do a tune for 89, 91 or 93 octane gas? Is there a big difference in the HP gains from the different octane tunes?
4. What type of HP gain am I actually looking at here with a CAI and tune?
5. What other parts and mods should I do that are compatible with a CAI that will give me more HP? Like I said my goal here is to run in the low 12's on the track. So what other parts do I need to do this without a supercharger?
[ol][*]JLT and C&L and the most popular.[*]As far as mail order tunes, yes. They are one of the top 3 or 4 of the best mail order tunes. A dyno tune will be better.[*]I'm not sure what the difference is but I run a 91 octane tune and was not convinced enough that a 93 octane tune would be better.[*]25-30hp[*]Nitrous...
[/ol]
Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Ok now, a few more questions that came up in my mind.

1. What order should I do this in? It looks like I'm going to be staying N/A because the $5k for a SC is probably not going to happen. So, that being said, the boom tubes are already coming (ordered them yesterday!), what's the next step?

2. I do have a guy that is respected about an hour away from me that could dodyno tune. He works for Ford Racing and does a lot with the Shelby's. So, would it be better to run up there and see him to do the tune for me, rather than having a mailorder one?

3. Is there any other helpful tips you can give me to increase the HP or drop time off? Obviously doing the above mods, but are there other ones out there that are worth looking into?

I would like to start ordering pats for the mods next week!

Thanks,

Nick

Quick Reply: CAI questions and other compatible mods?