Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

turbo or super charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: turbo or super charger

I'd take a saleen or whipple sc if I had the cash.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackS197

Turbo kits these days have instant power. Most putting out more torque than a Twinscrew.
Ya Instant at 4000RPM's while brake boosting.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: explict

Turbo kits these days have instant power. Most putting out more torque than a Twinscrew.
Spoken by someone who really doesn't know.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

ORIGINAL: explict

Spoken by someone who really doesn't know.
+1
Old 02-22-2008, 02:46 PM
C17drivr

I hate how everyone makes a big deal about turbo lag. It's not that big of a deal. When you step on the gas, you INSTANTLY begin to make boost. Granted, it's not going from 0 - max instantly, but you are making several pounds as soon as you step on the throttle. With the '05 mustang kits out there, the boost will be at it's peak no later than 3000 RPM's. So on the street, you punch the gas...instant boost. By 3000 RPM's, you will have MAX boost. In the FRACTION of a second that it takes for you to get to 3000 RPM's (if you're not there already) you will have less than max boost, then your boost will peak and hold steady at whatever your wastegate is set at. Oh, by the way, you WILL make more power per pound of boost than any supercharger PERIOD. On these stock block kits, peak HP will be ~ 20hp more, and peak torque will be at least 70-100+ ft/lbs more depending on whatsupercharger type you arecomparing too. Don't just take my word for it, do a search for some dyno graphs and make up your own mind.

I'm not knocking the superchargers, I think they are absolutely fantastic, and they each have their own merits. I was on the fence between the turbo and a whipple, and I'm sure I would have been happy with either. I also looked heavily at the Procharger. For me however, I like the kick in the pants when the boost peaks and holds to the next shift. I like theVERY slight delay in max boost because I hook up on the street a little better, and I feel it's a little less harsh on the clutch, input shaft, and driveshaft. I also like knowing that with equal mods and boost(including the good driver mod), my turbo car is faster than most stock block supercharged '05 + mustangs out there...and I get better gas mileage to boot.

I know everyone says you'll be happy with whatever you get. That's true. Just make sure you are armed with the truth before making your big decision.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

Anyone seen the Twin-turbo supercharged kit thats been built? I forgot where i found that. maybe someone else has seen it around.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Wilsonman02

Onereason turbo's "lag" is they have to push exhaust through the turbineand build boost, but a big reason is the compression ratio of the pistons. For example an older eclipse and a new evo, same engine, similar sized turbo, the evo's is slightly bigger but it builds boost way faster and hits max psi faster. The evo has a 9:1 CR, and the old eclipse has a 7.8:1. Thats a big reason people have that idea of turbo lag.A small turbo will hit max psi VERY fast, say 2500rpm. But a 74mm turbo may not hit full boost till 4000rpm, but at 2500rpm it will make way more power than the small turbo that is at full boost because it is pushing more CFM which is more important for power.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I really like turbo's, got the wife a Mazda CX-7. Very fun but it certainly has turbo lag if you punch it. To me that is really a function of the car being a 4 cyl. It doesnt make any torque unless it is in boost. A V8 stang will have 300 ft lbs to start so it wont be as bad but the power will come on gradual and build to peak boost just like a centri.

I like T/S because it is like having a big block. Power and torque everywhere. IMO, I recommend T/S for the street and Turbo/Centri for a track/street terror.

But again in the end it is really preference you cant go wrong.

Good luck
Old 02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

both got their advantage and disadvantage. i like the way the TS looks in the engine area, after mine went in, it actually looked like there's more room in there now. also there's that heat issue w/ the turbos. either way your gonna have some major power!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Wilsonman02

You can ceramic coat the hot side of the turbo as well as get a heat blanket it for it. And thermal wrap the down pipe. Not only does it reduce heat but it helps performance by making the expelled exhaust move faster.

Quick Reply: turbo or super charger