Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

TQ converter vs. 1 piece driveshaft ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Default TQ converter vs. 1 piece driveshaft ?

I got about $750 to spend on a mod, two choices: a torqueconverter (450.00 + 300 install cost) or 1 piece driveshaft (530 + 100

install) Which is the better mod to get if I can only choose one? I am only interested in hearing from guys with AUTOs. Would love

to getboth but can only afford one !! Looking at the numbers I have heard .4 to .5 off your 1/4 mile time with theTQ converter,

has thatactually been witnessedby anyone here? Most driveshaft gains are like .2/.3 again according to "advertising" I am

interested in real world scenarios, most bang for the buck !!

thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 06:35 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TQ converter vs. 1 piece driveshaft ?

I'd just wont buy a streetfighter TC .... save your coin for a PI multidisc, worth the money for sure, I absolutelly love mine @3,500 stall.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Ditto - maybe more than you're planning on spending but I would get the PI Multidisc #2 on my list right after a CAI and tune for an auto. #3 would be gears and then DS...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

wow if you get the TC installed for 300 that is a bargain.
Get the TC first but I agree get a good one not a TCI.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Import Killa

Tell me if i'm wrong but i talked to an installer where i am, and he said not to do a tc if i plan on supercharging. He said with the stall above stock you will be just spinning your tires and the tc would be worthless. I was going to get one now im thinking of getting spydershaft. Please tell me if im wrong.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

whats wrong with TCI, seems like alot of people are running them, the PI is outrageously expensive !!!! lol

brenspeed.com (pretty reputable) sells the TCI on their website. I am staying n/a until I get rich, which will be a long time. [:@]

The PI is like $300 more, why is it worth it, sell me on it please ?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

There may be some truth to that if you're running the stock tires. But one of the biggest things from what I understand is a better TC will not heat up as much as the stock which will not only save the life of the TC but save the life of the tranny. That's the most important thing when supercharging.

Personally I'd stick with about 2400 to 2600 stall since my car never sees the track and it's a DD. I want it to drive like stock normally but have the power when needed. That is assuming of course I keep my 06 Auto.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:24 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: desslok40

whats wrong with TCI, seems like alot of people are running them, the PI is outrageously expensive !!!! lol

brenspeed.com (pretty reputable) sells the TCI on their website. I am staying n/a until I get rich, which will be a long time. [:@]

The PI is like $300 more, why is it worth it, sell me on it please ?
Absolutely not true, the only "cheap" one from TCI is the normal streetfighter version of their TC, and the reason its so cheap its because its just a re-worked stock TC, it wont last long if you ask a lot from it and they're sold only in 3,000 stall being SINGLE disc.
Have you seen the nextstep of TCItc ? its the super streetfighter and they go 1,000+ dlls. why ? because its a custom-built TC, nothing to do compared with the streetfighter one.

And as price, P.I. might actually be even a bit cheaper if compared to its equal of TCI, just take as an example the front part of the TC, it doesnt even use a plaque like the stock one, it uses a weld-on front piece extremely thick that will NEVER bend.
Every PI is madeby order for your specs, even their single disc is very stout, but for 250 bucks you get the multidisc that has more potential.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Import Killa

Tell me if i'm wrong but i talked to an installer where i am, and he said not to do a tc if i plan on supercharging. He said with the stall above stock you will be just spinning your tires and the tc would be worthless. I was going to get one now im thinking of getting spydershaft. Please tell me if im wrong.
That's crazy unless the idea of smoking your tires every now and then is appalling. But if that's the case, a mustang really isn't the best choice of car IMO...lol

Seriously, a good TC is on the top 3 list of mods for an auto...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

NVM post.

Quick Reply: TQ converter vs. 1 piece driveshaft ?