Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Should I SC my automatic? Comments please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 PM
black S197
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I SC my automatic? Comments please!

ORIGINAL: stangbyme

Thanks for the opinion. I currently have a Superchip tuner and Roush cold air induction kit on the 05 and was concerned how the tranny would behave on downshifting. Currently when coming to a stop it kid of clunks down with the tune...however when I return it to stock without the tune the clunk goes away. I wonder if this will be the case with a SC in it.
Regards
Doug
Clunks?? That does not sound good. I cannot even feel mine down shift or for that matter feel it upshift when driven in a "normal" matter. Oh, I would keep the 05 and supercharge it!!! [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 02-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: killbee

ORIGINAL: Heavyg72

It sounds like your 05 is in good shape so unless you are dead set on the manual I say mod your auto. SC'd auto are quite fun! I went with Brenspeed as well but with his Paxton kit. Been about a year and have had no problems. I would recommend a deep oil pan for the tranny as someone mentioned and a TC upgrade.
I was thinking about the same kit for my of automatic. Hows the bottom and mid-range pull with the Paxton? I have heard the top end charge is unbeleivable. Also did you do the install yourself, wondering how hard it would be? I installed a Paxton on a 90 5.0 I had years ago, so I think I could do it.
killbee - I think it pulls very well. Anything above 3000rpm and it's pretty awesome and it just keeps pulling. I had Brenspeed do the installation and tuning so I really couldn't say. I know they did the install and tune in a day. Sounds like you have some more mechanical experience so it may not be too bad for ya. The weather finally broke today so I had it out and it just runs awesome. Great kit!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
killbee
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: killbee

It sounds like your 05 is in good shape so unless you are dead set on the manual I say mod your auto. SC'd auto are quite fun! I went with Brenspeed as well but with his Paxton kit. Been about a year and have had no problems. I would recommend a deep oil pan for the tranny as someone mentioned and a TC upgrade.
I was thinking about the same kit for my of automatic. Hows the bottom and mid-range pull with the Paxton? I have heard the top end charge is unbeleivable. Also did you do the install yourself, wondering how hard it would be? I installed a Paxton on a 90 5.0 I had years ago, so I think I could do it.
Thats theexact kit I was looking at. Did you go with the fuel pumps that came with the kit? I thought of going with the GT500 pumps and 60lb injectors.
killbee - I think it pulls very well. Anything above 3000rpm and it's pretty awesome and it just keeps pulling. I had Brenspeed do the installation and tuning so I really couldn't say. I know they did the install and tune in a day. Sounds like you have some more mechanical experience so it may not be too bad for ya. The weather finally broke today so I had it out and it just runs awesome. Great kit!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

SC the 05, but dont get the roush SC. get a TS that you can upgrade as you build the engine. power is an addicting force, and having something that can be upgraded later if you so desire would save you money in replacing the roush later.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I just went with the kit that Brent put together....KB Boot a pump and 39# injectors. Figured they put in the parts/pieces that do the job. However, what you have listed definitely won't hurt anything.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Hey man, you have alot of what future upgrades I want already installed, what 1/4 time are you running with all that stuff?

just curious

thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: desslok40

Hey man, you have alot of what future upgrades I want already installed, what 1/4 time are you running with all that stuff?

just curious

thanks

I will know more in early March when the track opens. I wanted to finishs my mods before I hit the track and the new tires went on this fall. Never done it before so I'm sure the first few runs will be embarrassing but I'll you all know how it goes.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I ran a 11.9 117 mph with a 2.0 60 ft. this is with the stock convertor, and stock suspension.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If you add up what it will cost you to sell your 05, buy the new 08 and then put a SC on it you could buy a good TS, like the KB or Whipple, add a built short block and still be money ahead with the added piece of mind the built short block would give.

Earl
Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cfr865

I ran a 11.9 117 mph with a 2.0 60 ft. this is with the stock convertor, and stock suspension.
Very nice numbers and I'm hoping I can get in the same range as well. Sub 12's....awesome!!

Quick Reply: Should I SC my automatic? Comments please!